1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

HIIT and Heart Rate monitors...

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by SCHTEEVIE, Dec 6, 2006.

1. gymbunnie

gymbunnie Active Member

i don't know if anyone else knows about this, but the MHR scale was devised by cardiologists who were working with people with cardiac problems; it is a guideline based upon people who have had heart attacks etc for rehabilitation; it's much more dangerous for someone with a history of cardiac problems to push their HR really high eg. "90%" than for someone who is in good health. It's pretty hard for anyone to actually reach their 100% MHR; there's been times where i've really pushed myself, felt a bit faint and sick with the effort and my HR never went above 183 (my supposed MHR is 201). Basically, i'd recommend you to ignore the HR monitor for the most part (except maybe if you wanted to use it as a test to see how you've progressed cardiovascularly) and go with your instinct; what feels right for you? instead of measuring your intervals in terms of HR percentages, measure them in terms of effort percentages; this will change with your fitness so you'll be pushing yourself continuously so you're less likely to hit a plateau. if your judging it by your heart rate (which will decrease with increased fitness) you'll eventually end up limiting your potential.

2. Squashimatic

Squashimatic Active Member

I'm late to the party on this thread, but I thought it was important to talk about HRM's since I do a lot of work with them. I do marathons and triathlons (international distance), and I'm just getting back into lifting to restore some of my lost muscle mass. Hopefully this info helps!

It's very important when you get a HRM that you take a day or two of rest, then go out to a track and do a hard run to find out your max HRM. Basically, warm up and then run as hard as you can until the HRM doesn't go up any further. It may take a half mile to get a good result. Yes, it sucks to run until you feel like puking, but you need to find your max HR to base your percentages off of.

As was stated in the thread, the formulas (none of them) will tell you your exact HRM since every one of us is different. I'm 33 years old, but my max HR is 205. If I were to follow the formula most people use (220-age), I'd be at 187.

Once you find out your max HR, you can then start figuring out where your zones are. The "standard" percentages (like 60% for fat burning) are also a generalization, so you'll have to play around with different paces to figure out where your zones are.

In terms of marathon and tri training, most people will go off of our HR's and not the percieved training level. The HRM is an objective indication of exertion, and unfortunately, your perception is not. There are days when you mentally can't push, but the HRM reads low because your body is ready to go. You're HRM will tell you to get off your ass and get to work. Other days, your mentally ready to go, but your HR skyrockets because you're tired or starting to get over trained. On those days, your HRM is telling you to take it easy or just skip the work out.

It's also very important that as you increase your cardio training load to monitor your waking HR. When you wake up, take a quick count to see where your HR is at. Do it before you get out of bed and try not to think of anything that stresses you--otherwise the result may be skewed. If your waking HR starts to go up, it's a good indication that you're starting to over train.

Squashy