1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

HIIT after weights?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by bluemagpie, Mar 9, 2009.

1. bluemagpie

bluemagpie Active Member

I have heard that doing HIIT after lifting weights makes you burn muscle rather than fat. Is that true? If it is, I guess its not a good idea to do this?

2. George

George Senior Member

I wouldn't say it burns muscle. That depends on a whole load of different variables with nutrition being a big one. That said, If you still have enough energy to do intense cardio right after weights then you might want to reevaluate what you do during your weight sessions.

3. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Great reply ! agreed:tucool:

4. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I would conisder doing HIIT eg on a staionary bike after a heavy upper body workout.

5. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

As George said, I think you should focus on the lifting more. I know personally that on my back day, after doing my deadlifts and bent-over barbell rows, along with 6+ other exercises, I'm drenched in sweat and absolutely drained of energy - the most cardio I can muster up is about 5 minutes on the elliptical. Theoretically, you shouldn't be able to do real HIIT after an intense training session. If this is the case, then your lifting session is too light or you aren't doing HIIT properly. Focus on one - either lift heavy and do some cardio after, or lift moderately and try HIIT after - just my 2 cents.

Brian

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't agree. If you have worked on fast recovery, you can do it.

It's more a question of whether you gain much by doing it, and there, I would say, if you need to burn the Calories or maintain training state, then OK. Otherwise it's kind of redundant.

7. Fuhobo

Fuhobo Active Member

I have had basically the same weight lifting routine since September and I lost weight without a change in lean mass. In January I added 12 minutes of HIIT after each workout keeping everything else about the same. Since that time my weight loss has been about 3lbs a month, but I have lost 15lbs of Fat and gained 5lbs of lean mass.

When I started the HIIT I was concerned that I would lose lean mass, but this has turned out to be completely not the case for me.

I say if you're interested in doing HIIT, go for it. Monitor you body composition and if it works for you great. If not try something else!

8. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

Well, if HIIT is about all out exertion, you can certainly do that after weights. Maybe you aren't as energetic, maybe you don't run as far, as fast as you could have fresh, but you can put in 100% exertion after weights. Your 100% after weights just won't be the same 100% when you do it rested.

Whether it's the best idea as far as your body turning to muscle for fuel, I have no idea.

9. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had great success on Warp Speed Fat Loss in February, which employs the following structure:

Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays: strength exercise (e.g. squats/deads) 3-4 x 6-8; 2 metabolic strength pairings (e.g. 6 squat & press followed by 6 chin-ups) for max sets in 10 minutes; 6 HIIT intervals 30 seconds on, 90 seconds off
    Tuesdays, Thursdays, Sundays: HIIT 1 min on, 2 mins off adding intervals each week, followed by 20 mins LISS

It worked well for me, but it was very tough. I needed a break by the end of the prescribed 28 days.

10. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

HIIT on off days. Depending on your diet, you may or may not wish to do HIIT whilst cutting. HIIT whilst bulking is a good idea.

#10 Foley, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  11. Barber

Barber Well-Known Member

Alwyn Cosgrove and others advocate doing LISS/MISS after an intense weight lifting session - they believe that the weight session has burned off lot of your glycogen and forces your body to use fat as primary fuel. Plus, you'll burn an extra 300-500 calories.

I do cardio during a separate session either on the same day or different day - HIIT (treadmill) , intervals (treadmill), or running outside. Part of the reason is that I mix in some "circuit" type work during my weightlifiting session.

12. iwalnc

iwalnc Active Member

What you said is correct. HIIT is about exertion. You may want to have a small little shake in between your weight and HIIT workout if you are worried about catabolism, but I don't personally think it will be too big of a deal or have much of a difference.

13. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

It all depends on what you eat before your workout.

If you eat sufficiently beforehand to fuel your muscles during the workout, you aren't going to be using muscles for fuel.

I do weighted cardio on an eliptical for a fairly intense session after working out, these days.

No problem..

But if I don't fuel correctly before the workout.....I will get "gassed" much quicker.

Some people will not consume carbs or fuel before a workout ....because they want to lose weight.

I'm not concerned about losing weight too much.. I focus on building muscle. Because the more muscle I have the easier it will be to lose weight.

If you fuel correctly before a workout....you will have more energy in that workout...which leads to better lifts and more intense reps.

If you eat half-assed...you get a half-assed workout.

Nothing wrong with doing HIIT after a lift session....but there's plenty wrong with not eating/drinking for it......:)

14. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

There is some current rsearch that suggests a cardio sesion and a weight session should be separated....minimum six hours apart or do the cardio the next day.

Not because the cardio will eat msucle....but because the neurological pathways tend to get confused from doing two different types of exercise simultaneously.

In other words they cancel each other out so that neither one is able to deliver it's maximum effectiveness.

A weight workout for strength/growth will be confused by an aerobic endurance event right after it....they say...

15. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:) I feel certain the information contained in the link below regarding HIIT is already known to all the previous posters but I offer such as I think it a very interesting article and one that could provide insight for those less experienced with HIIT and additionally, mental reiteration for those of more experience with the protocol...:)

http://www.brinkzone.com/blog/weight-loss/hiit-training-are-you-really-doing-it/

#15 Carole, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  16. ladyak

ladyak Active Member

Honestly, has anyone ever taken a look at a sprinters body. You tell me if there is muscle loss there. They do HIIT all the time. It all depends on your fitness goals. I am a current competitor and exercise physiologist. I am looking to maintain my lean muscle mass but get as lean as possible. (aesthetically pleasing :) HIIT training it proven to have a higher EPOC (excess post oxygen consumption) than slow intensity long duration cardio. I would suggest getting a good weight training session in and maybe hitting the track or sand for HIIT 1-2 times a week.