1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

High Intensity Training on the Net

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by RTE, Dec 23, 2004.

1. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree....A person is much more likely to suffer heart problems from NOT exercising than from getting "athlete's heart".

3. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

Sorry, I've got think out loud here. Hate to do that because I always expose my ignorance ;).

I read that enlargement is not a problem in of itself (barring thin walls). It's a symptom of something which in most people is very bad. Exercisers aren't in the bad category unless they have other lifestyle issues (though genetics probably play in that too). If it's occurring to increase stroke volume it could still be an adaptation that is problematic or good depending on why. If the adaptation occurs because the plumbing is clogged, it's obviously really bad (I think of putting a bigger pressure pump on the well to make up for years of mineral deposits on the house plumbing, that means a disaster is on the way in my experience). If it's to service the oxygen requirements of increased mitochondria, then it's good and comes from the fact that your exercise is analogous to replacing the 3/4 house plumbing with 1 inch. This occurs naturally in the bodies attempt to service increased numbers of mitochondria (more elastic pumped veins and vessels?). The latter was my way of conceptualizing the technical definition I have of cardio and that implied increased volume and reserve capacity is a desirable result for any given heart rate (bigger is better).

If any of that is true, it would make sense that any exercise activity that decommissions some endurance muscle groups and increases others might indeed have more of a net effect of "efficiency", though not an efficiency we would want for anything but targeted competitive goals? I'm hypothesizing that ventricle size would not increase appreciably if you reduce half your endurance capability and grow half of it while improving the oxygen exchange rate (once again I hear my cross country coach saying "minimize your arm movements and stay out of the weight room" :mad:). Guess I'm thinking comparison of the cyclist efficiency (or long distance runners) to anything else is a comparison of positive adaptation for sport specificity while negative or a wash to general fitness.

The assumption I'm making is "full body" cardio will result in increased ventricle volume and reserve and should based on the definition I have of cardio (I have a bunch of study references on that I've never looked up but are the basis of the ACE cardio definition). The adaptation may be less relevant when you decommission upper body muscle mass as dramatically as a competitive long distance runner or cyclist must. The only question is, which forms of adaptation contribute more to longevity or do either (my guess is neither). I doubt that can be answered with any scientific accuracy since the reasons for measurable increases in ventricle volume are statistically going to be because of health problems. A scientific study is probably going to show the increase as a serious problem even though in the extremes, it may show a positive increase in longevity (or perhaps is nothing but a collateral impact).

#83 Eagle Tree, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008