1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

hi, I'm new and need help

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by kimc, Feb 25, 2004.

1. kimc

kimc Well-Known Member

Hi, My name is kim and I'm new to this site. Actually my son pointed me to this direction. I'm almost 48, is it too late for me to start to get get fit and loose weight and where do I begin. All at once or a little at a time. I could stand to loose a good 100 lbs but will be happy to loose 25 to start with, but I am going to need some step by step help on what to do first. I'm open to all suggestions.
    Thanks

2. Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

Hi there Kim...

Nice to see you. NO...it is NEVER too late to get fit! EVER - no matter how old, or how out of shape you are. Glad your son directed you here...it's a great place! I've shed about 26lbs or so in six months. I went from a size 13/14 to a 5/7 and I feel absolutely terrific I must admit. :tucool: Personally, I workout out HIIT 20 cardio minutes 3 X week and I weight train 3 X per week for about 1hr each time and take one day off to allow my body to rest. I know at first it sounds like a lot but don't let it scare you away. It really isn't so bad at all. You really get used to it and not doing it really feels bad.

Feel free to ask questions too. The guys and gals on here are a terrific and can be a great source of info. :claplow:

Good luck and if I can help at all...please let me know. :flex:

Danielle

3. kimc

kimc Well-Known Member

Thanks Danielle, I'm really going to give it a shot, starting tomorrow. Even down to a picture like john did when he first started.. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes... kim

4. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

Hi Kim! Welcome to the boards :) It is never too late to get in shape and healthy!
    You'll find all sorts of info here on these forums and lots of knowledgeable people too.
    Best of luck to you!

5. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

Hi Kim. Welcome to the forums! Danielle is right, it is NEVER too late to start getting healthy. When deciding whether to start out slowly or all at once, you should first assess yourself and your goals. If you need some time to adjust then start slowly. If you think you would do better taking the full plunge at once, then I say go for it. Just be honest with yourself. You know what works best for you!

John is right when he says planning ahead is the key. You should do your research and plan everything. Your diet, your excercise, etc.

Decide how many calories you want to aim for each day. Decide what percent of those calories you want to come from protein/carbs/fat. A lot of people on this forum aim for 40/40/20, but that is personal choice. Decide what will work for you!

Start by downloading John's spreadsheet and playing around with it. Study what he eats and decide which healthy foods you like. Then clean out your kitchen and replace unhealthy food with healthy nutritous food. Try to plan your menu ahead of time for a few days. That way you will know what you are going to eat for each meal. Try to eat 5-6 times a day rather than just 3 times. If you work, pack your lunch & snacks the night before so you won't be rushed in the morning. If you have cravings for sweets, be prepared by keeping a healthy sweet snack on hand so you won't give in and eat something bad. If you mess up, forgive yourself and don't give up. Just chalk it up to a "cheat meal" and go on with your new healthy ways.

As for exercise, decide based on what you like and what kind you have access to. For instance, walking, biking, elliptical trainer, etc. Try to do cardio (which melts fat) and weight training (to build muscle and speed up your metabolism). Some people here prefer to workout at home, others go to a gym. Decide what you prefer and either get a gym membership or some equipment for home. Try to alternate cardio and weights every other day. Take a day off at least one week to rest your muscles. Plan a schedule and really try to stick to it.

Set small goals each week. Set an overall goal that you will remember you are working your way towards. I find it motivating to take pictures on a weekly basis so I can see my progress on a regular basis (even if it is just a little bit each week).

Come to the forums daily for motivation and information. If you have questions, don't be shy! Everyone here is helpful and striving towards the same goal as you- TO GET IN BETTER SHAPE!

To sum it up, follow these steps:

1. Asses yourself
    2. Do your research
    3. Have goals
    4. Devise a plan
    5. Stick to your plan
    6. Track your Progress!!!

:gl:

6. Ansett

Ansett Well-Known Member

Kim, welcome! I would just like to add a word of caution to what these other ladies have said. You are 48 and about 100 lbs overweight, right? You have probably been overweight for some time now, so you've probably experienced some changes to your cardiovascular system. Before you jump in full guns, I'd advise you to go get a good check up first. While it's never too late to do something to improve your health, you should be aware that you are not too young to have a heart attack. How is your health otherwise? Do you have hypertension? Diabetes? Family history of these? How about a family history of strokes? You might want to get a stress test just to find out how the ol' ticker is going to handle the new strain. I'm not trying to scare you..just want you to do things right. That's why you are here, right?
    Regardless, I think HIIT is out of the question for you right now. You'll want to start off with some moderate walking everyday or every other day. It won't take much effort to get your heart rate going at first until you've built up some endurance.
    There are some good threads on here to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating, and of what. Check out this one: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=1222
    Let us know how it goes!

7. Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

Ansett,

You are absolutely right! "Just do it" but do it slowly and work your way up but first...start with a checkup and an ok from the doc. Going from a completely sedentary lifestyle to an active one will certainly surprise your body. I found that my cardivascular strength grew very quickly. Won't be long before you'll be right "into" it! :bb:

:claphigh:

Danielle

8. Duckman

Duckman Well-Known Member

Are guys allowed in here? :whistle:

Anyway, like they said, check with the doc, then figure out your diet.

As for workouts, take it easy from the start and don't push yourself. Working out is supposed to be fun, not a pain in the ass, and it will be the latter if you push yourself too early.

Walking 20-40 mins 2-4 times a week sounds like a good start to me, and it won't kill you either. After a month, you should start seeing quite a bit of improvement and you can increase the pace, lenght or both.

Low intensity biking is also great, and it really burns calories. Good luck!

9. kimc

kimc Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and yes.. guys are welcome too. If it wasn't for a great guy (my son) I wouldn't have found this site. I'm going to try and start slow.. have a Dr's appoint booked for tomorrow and started a journal last night. Still have to take measurements and accurate weight and mark down and a before picture with the digital camera. So far I think I've eaten well. One scrambed egg, and pineapple in it's juice, one cup of coffee, and water. I'm trying to cut way back today sort of like a detox for a day, so will have a small tuna sandwich on flax bread for lunch.
    Then I will try and work on some other menus, etc this afternoon.
    I'm off work til Monday so that is good, I think.
    I own a stationary bike and a manual tread mill, and I will try to walk outside. We live in a small community so no gym per se. There is pool so might try and get a pass to that.
    I'll have to plan a work out using what I have for now. Think my son left some weights around before he moved too.
    But I am going to check in everyday.. more than once. Cause this support I think is going to be what I need to stick with it..
    Thanks for everything and all suggestions are welcome
    kim

10. JetGirl

JetGirl Well-Known Member

Congrats on starting up kimc!

You can do anything you put your mind too. Start small, think big (or small I guess in this case). ;)

11. honu*girl

honu*girl Well-Known Member

Hey - I have (had) at least 100 lbs to lose too.

I was amazed at how quickly I was able to add the exercise. I know everyone here likes HIIT - but I've seem someone else say they preferred 45 minutes at 70% HR. Even John says - don't try HIIT until you can do 45 minutes at 80% HR.

This is what I did - I started with a treadmill - did 12 minutes. Whew!

Then I did 15 - I worked my way in a matter of a week to 40 minutes.

I can do 60 minutes, but prefer 45. Your body really doesn't start burning fat until 30 minutes - and for fat loss your heart rate should be at about 70% max, even 60-65% if you aren't in great shape.

Now I do a recumbant bike because I don't have access to a treadmill any more - and hope to buy an elliptical with my tax return.

And NO you aren't too old!!!

Best of luck! You can do it! I've lost 45 so far - and have 55 more til my first goal!

12. kimc

kimc Well-Known Member

Wow... that's great thanks for letting me know how well you are doing.
    Today is day 4 and I feel the best so far... had an awful headache day 2, and day 3 felt a little bit better but today, I feel I can really stick to this. I'm back to work tomorrow morning, so that will be bit of a test.
    I'm going to try and start walking outside too tomorrow after work.
    As well as continue with my stationary bike inside.
    I'm so glad I found this site... you've all be so kind.
    kim