1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Sodium Intake

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by douglasstclair, Jan 27, 2011.

1. douglasstclair

douglasstclair Active Member

I'm on day 19 of my first-ever 100% committed cut (original target of 100 days). Using info from the stickies and various other sources I've developed what I believe to be an ideal meal plan for my goals, eating measured clean food throughout the day, taking in a specific macro breakdown. I have to say... even a few weeks in, I love the way I feel and am already seeing the rewards of the program.

BUT... one thing I've noticed with my meals, is that I'm relying more seasonings than I have in the past. It's as if clean proteins and carbs are more suitable for a little "extra help" than my old food intake (which was probably preloaded with sodium). This is mostly limited to Emeril's Essence (chicken/shrimp) or some S&P (eggs, chicken, broccoli, etc).

So I have to ask... what effect is this having on my efforts? Is it causing some fluctuations with water weight (which I could live with)? I read somewhere that some sodium is REQUIRED for weight loss, yet sodium intake seems to be relevant for other reasons. Are there alternatives to salt that are worth trying? I saw "No Salt" or something like it in the spice aisle. Eating "clean"... I want to avoid anything that has suspect chemical content.

Thanks for any info!
    Doug

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Unless you're eating so much salt that it's a health issue then the only issue is water retention.

Your body needs some salt intake. Eating fresh home made food you aren't getting all the salt that factory made food comes loaded with. So adding some salt isn't a big issue.

Black pepper plus things like cayenne have no issues.

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Sodium is an essential mineral crucial for lifters. It may cause water retention but this is actually a good thing since muscle is 70% water, therefore the more wet the muscle cell is, the more of an anabolic environment you'll be in. Unless you have high blood pressure, a history of HBP in your family, or are 2-3 days out from a bodybuilding competition, a good guideline would be 20 mg sodium per pound of bodyweight.

4. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

So in theory a 188lb man should be able to take in 3,760mg sodium/day?

That seems awfully high for some reason... Don't want to question you, just want to make sure I'm doing my math right.

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

That is correct. If you are lifting with a good routine, diet is strong, water intake (and potassium) high, no history of high blood pressure... That would be optimal. As an example, as a 150 lb. competitive athlete, I routinely take in around 3000 mg sodium per day and drink just over a gallon of water a day. The only time I am concerned about sodium is 2 days out from a show.

You might experience initial water weight gain, but this should not negatively alter your body fat percentages.

6. douglasstclair

douglasstclair Active Member

That's good to know... thanks Aram for providing the details!

7. bk9824

bk9824 Active Member

Thanks for the clarification Aram. Maybe it was my family's history of heart disease that had you recommending half that number during my first cut with you...