1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

help with fitness plan for daughter

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by mossy, Mar 31, 2008.

1. mossy

mossy Well-Known Member

Hi All,

my daughter is just coming up to 14 years and is playing netball at a very high level. She has been told to begin some weight training to tone and strengthen her muscles although i am not 100% sure of the right way of doing this for her age.

she certainly doesn't want to bulk up but realises extra strength will enhance her game.

i was considering the basic exercises, squats, curls, lat pushdowns etc. about 3 sets of 20? high reps, low weight, about twice a week, one upper, one lower body workout. (she sometimes plays netball 5 days a week so fitting anymore in could be a problem)

should she add some protein into her diet which i am trying to convince her that she needs to take more care and notice of. if so, how much? she is 5'11" and weighs about 126lbs.

also, any assistance in books or websites that may help, particularly in convincing her to stop eating rubbish would be a great help.

thanks in anticipation

carl.

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:eek:

It could be that she's perfectly healthy, but that sounds like an alarmingly low weight. She could be risking her fertility and bone health if her nutrition is not up to par and/or if her menstruation is irregular.

To gain absolute strength, she would want to stick to fairly low repetitions with a very high weight. But to gain muscular endurance, which is probably what she wants, high repetitions are a good way to go. :tu:

She won't bulk up if she doesn't eat any extra calories over what she normally has been eating. However, it will also be difficult for her to gain appreciable strength without adding extra calories. Bulking up would probably improve her game by a long shot. Are her teammates about a similar size to her?

She could add protein into her diet. Any idea how much she gets now? I'd suggest a minimum of 90 grams for a person her size. (Double what the dietary guidelines recommend of 0.8 g per kg of bodyweight)

Here's a great site for her to browse through that gives some tips on lifting form, though it's not specifically geared to athletes:

www.stumptuous.com (click on iron)

And have her read my "Nutrition for a Healthy Weight" sticky in the introductory forum. :D

3. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Fun! :spaz: Did the coach tell her to start the weight training? That person might have some guidance as well.

My own opinion is that a full body routine would be best, probably twice a week with all the other activity she must have. I also think sets of 20 reps is kind of a lot, but it depends on the coach I guess. I remember taking a weight training class when I was about 16, and we learned a lot of the basic principles you will find here, and also on the website guava posted. Stumptuous.com is really an excellent resource. :tu:

4. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

I agree with guava's whole post, but especially her observation about your daughter's weight. It sounds too low for her height. She could easily stand to gain about 15 pounds, especially if the gain is muscle. However, there's her age to consider. You say she's thirteen. I wonder if her low weight compared to her height could just be a growth spurt and her body has yet to catch up. Also, has she hit puberty yet? Some girls are really tall and lanky until they do. Is she eating enough or has she been swept up in the unfortunate diet craze that often afflicts girls her age?

5. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

Not to be arguementative but according to the US CDC Growth Charts, her BMI (17.6) is at around the 20th percentile for her age. Considering the fact that her height is "off the charts" for 14, that doesn't sound all that bad to me. Thin, to be sure, but probably not unhealthy.

Yes, I know BMI is not an ideal indicator but it works reasonably well to determine "safe" height vs weight ranges for untrained subjects (which she would seem to be).

Heck, I'm a 6' tall male adult and if I was untrained I could have a BMI within the "Normal" range at a weight as low as 137 lbs. :eek:

6. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Which is why I mentioned her age. It's not uncommon for preteens and teens to have low body weight compared to their height and to be tall and thin, even gangly. As long as she's eating, it's all good :tu:.

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Right. I didn't consider that she will probably continue to grow, and that her bones and organs are probably slightly disproportionately small compared to an adult of equivalent height. :tu:

I do worry about the female athlete triad, but hopefully her coaches take some time to address those issues.

Any athlete who does a great amount of physical activity is at risk for any of the three conditions of the Female Athlete Triad. Athletes who are very competitive or focus a large part of their lives on their sport are considered to be at a higher risk.

I wouldn't say she needs to gain weight immediately, but it started to ring alarm bells when mossy said "she certainly doesn't want to bulk up". Because at her age, she should be anticipating some growth in all areas. :)

8. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Single leg work is really important for her. A woman in my gym is a strong volleyball player, and she also coaches men's and women's volleyball in college. She does probably the perfect weight program for women, and the part that really makes the difference is the single leg squats, deadlifts, and jump lunges. She's only 5'4" but she has quite a vertical leap.

So start with Bulgarians and single stiff leg deadlifts, and then graduate to pistols, etc. Women, especially athletic women, can often graduate to pistols quicker than men, because they don't have so much upper body weight compared to their leg strength.

9. goonie

goonie Active Member

I know you said she isn't looking to "bulk up", but if we could visually show her an example of what her body would look like with 10-12 lbs of added muscle, it's very likely she'd say "yes, that's what I want". Maybe more.

Also, her performance within her sport would almost certainly benefit from these gains. Repeated exposure within athletics is likely to develop this sort of thing naturally anyway, and additional training is just a way to improve upon things more efficiently.

I would encorage her to include some basic bodyweight fundamentals even if she has access to a full gym.

As far as nutrition, just keep her diet away from any of that non-sense you see printed in just about any magazine. :blank:

10. mossy

mossy Well-Known Member

Can i thank you all for taking the time to reply. I have not been rude, my computer went on the blink, again !!!

i miscalculated her weight, she is 10.5 stone, i converted it incorrectly, it should be 147 lbs. Sorry about that.

some good advice however. I will be taking a look at the website suggested. stumptuous.com

Zen pharoahs, can you tell me what bulgarians, pistols and jump lunges are pleas. i am familiar with the lunge just never with a 'jump' in it.

I think you are correct Goonie, if she saw a picture i am sure she would change her mind, i think she has a belief that she will look like a bodybuilder !! I'll have to show her around the picture gallery.

i can honestly say that she is not bothered about any diets or anything she see's or reads in magazines although she will eat anything she never seems to want to eat the 'right' stuff, thats kids for you i suppose!
    cheers

carl

11. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member