1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

help me decide please

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by CKS7, Mar 12, 2005.

1. CKS7

CKS7 Well-Known Member

im cutting and i am uncertain about lifting weights. i do lift; however, i read that doing high reps low weight is good to burn fat. i also read "always lift heavy" right now i cant decide between the heavy 8/6/4 or 3 sets of 15 light weights. my main concern is to loose fat. i have a huge frame and i think i have good amount of muscle under...

thanks in advance

2. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I would either do a combination of the two or all lower rep, higher weight. Doing an all, high rep workout will be nothing more than a type of cardio workout. I find that doing anywhere from 4-12 reps on different exercises works quite well.

3. garthus

garthus Well-Known Member

Definatly go for high weight low rep. If you can build muscle onto your body this will increase your metabolism and help you to lose fat faster. I see too many people down the gym throwing small weights around thinking they are helping themselves they just look like they are going to injure themselves.

So take your time, read up on getting good form and go slow and steady you will find the results follow.

You will then not only be burning fat during the workout but long afterwards. Don't forget to do cardio as well though but do something such as running, or the eliptical etc.

4. CKS7

CKS7 Well-Known Member

ok so lift heavy and gain muscle. i certainly hope i dont become too bulky...mybodycomp puts me at 200lbs lean mass already lol. yea, i do 25 mins of HIIT every other day. and skip rope on weights day.

i'd post some progress pics up, but id rather wait until im down to my desired weight and surprise everyone ;)

5. Mahdimael

Mahdimael Well-Known Member

Why does everyone think lifting weights will immediately cause you to wake up the next morning looking like Arnold and yell, "Oh no! I shouldn't have lifted that extra 10lbs yesterday!"

It's gradual. :)

6. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Lift Heavy!!!! :bb: :db: :flex:

7. CKS7

CKS7 Well-Known Member

lol i know it wont. but im pretty damn bulky

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Diet takes care of that, weights maintain or build muscle which is your main portion of metablism. Muscles take up less room (20%) then ugly fat.

9. CKS7

CKS7 Well-Known Member

good as long as im on the right track. im more devoted to this than school lol. grade 12 heading off to university...thanks guys

10. soltrain

soltrain Well-Known Member

Best answer is both and in between. Go low reps some weeks and high reps others. Keep your body guessing. Low reps are best for actual stregth gains but is much easier to injure yourself.

11. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

Keep the priorities straight though! :D

12. williamso

williamso Well-Known Member

If you've not lifted much in the past, I'd suggest starting with low weight, high reps (15-18 reps, 3 sets), just to make sure you learn good form. Good, slow, contolled movements. After a month or two, then increase weight level so that you are lifting to failure at lower reps.

Low reps -- build muscle (increase metabolism), higher risk of injury from bad form.
    High reps -- build endurance (can border on cardio workout), lower risk of injury from bad form, easier to concentrate on proper form.

13. amilder

amilder Well-Known Member

Also, I've read that starting with lower weights and higher reps helps strengthen your connective tissue (tendons, etc) so that when you do start lifting heavy, you are less likely to get injured.

14. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

There isn't any increase or decrease in injury due to rep count. Trying to move heavy or lighter weights faster might contribute to injury. Heavier weights are moved slower due to being heavy. Learning proper form and always moving weights smoothly thru the full range of motion helps. Knock on wood, I have never had an injury from nearly 50 years of weights.

15. CKS7

CKS7 Well-Known Member

hahhaha oh yea. i have ripped out my shoulder from bad form once already