1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Help me build muscle!!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by GatorDeb, May 21, 2011.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

5'4" female, 138 lbs. 7/3/09 I was 215 lbs, highest of 230 lbs, never exercised a day in my life. Now I regularly exercise 10-20 hours a week, have done 2 sprint triathlons, a marathon, and half marathon (and some 5 and 10Ks, best 5K time 28.XX and best 10K time 59.XX). Bike, swim, run, take group classes at the gym.

And I can't build muscle. Inaccurate, but when I use the handheld and when I've done with the scale at the gym body fat around 30%.

I've done 1k deficit. 500 deficit. No deficit. 500 surplus. Weights on my own. Group weight classes. I did a 500 surplus and weights on my own for 3 weeks (2 body parts a day twice a week, something like back/chest X 2, biceps/triceps X 2, legs/shouders X 2), never work the same muscle group 2 days in a row, get at least a gram of protein per lb of weight (not even lean weight, but weight) per day, ~50/30/20 carbs/protein/fat, and for 3 months I've done BodyPump at the gym 3 X a week (full-body barbell workout).

No noticeable muscle.

I don't know if this makes a difference but I was born with low muscle mass and needed help and orthotics and physical therapy to start walking and they said I would need to work harder to develop muscle mass.

What else can I try? Protein within 30 minutes of working out AND 1 hour prior to working out, of course, 20+ grams.

I have regularly done SOME kind of resistance training from the time I started working out. Do a lot of spin classes also.

I'm calculating I burn weight * 10 a day base + 400/hr cardio or 200/hr weights or weights/cardio, so if I go to two group cardios in a day that's 1380 + 800 == 2180 calories burned that day, so if I want a 500 deficit then I eat 1680. I never eat less than 1200 a day, though, even if that means I won't have the deficit I want.

I want guns dammit lol Thanks! :)

#1 GatorDeb, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I've got a couple of ideas. The first thing is that you need to give it more time. It takes much longer to add muscle than to lose weight. Secondly, you need to eat more if you want to add muscle. You might look at the sticky posts in the beginner forum and refigure your calorie needs for your goals.

I think what you want to do is a body recomposition. In other words, keep roughly the same weight and lower your body fat %. I'm going to guess that all of that cardio is not helping you either. You might consider dropping most of it in favor of a more intense weight program..

Just my thoughts. I'm not exactly an expert, but there are a few around here. ;)

3. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Somebody's signature on here contains this, so I'm stealing it for this post - Want to build muscle? Eat alot of food. Lift alot of weights.

The first thing you need to do is get your diet dialed in and give it time to work. Muscle is impossible to build without a good diet and training program. If you are looking to add muscle, a caloric surplus is your best bet but the calories should be strictly clean for best results. Lose the cardio and switch to an intense lifting program. Excessive cardio without proper nutrition will burn away lean muscle mass.

If you truly feel that you have tried everything and given it time without results. enlist help. www.mastover.com Aram Hamparian has helped several members of these forums reach and exceed their goals. If you have the desire to commit 100%, he will give you a plan to get you there.

Good luck.

JB

4. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

You likely don't want to hear this but

You're running yourself into the ground.

Your body builds muscle/strength not only with food but with rest.

You don't need to workout 10 or more hours a week. Not only isn't likely to help you but it's likely hurting you.

Most people will burn out on far less.

Ask yourself has working out 20 hours a week worked for you? If not then setup for yourself 4 (FOUR) workouts a week. A total of 40 minutes each. Do that for three months. At worst you'll have wasted three months .

Lift heavy those workouts. Do the big compounds.

Eat a surplus. Try for 300 to 500 calories a day.

5. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

If you want to build some muscle i would consider cutting down on your cardio type training, alot.

While calorie counting works its still theoretical, some people need more, some less to get similar results. So what i'm trying to say is don't be afraid to experiment with higher then normal standards.

Robert's advice is solid IMO. 3-5 hours a week of heavy weight training would probably work wonders

6. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I still need to train for a century (103 miles on the bike) and an oly (~60 laps in the pool, 28 miles bike, 6.2 mile run) triathlon. What is the best way to run/swim/bike without giving away too much muscle?

7. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone above but your fitness aims and objectives seem to be in contradiction to your interest in gaining muscle. I guess to you need to ask yourself why you want to gain muscle in order to ride, run and swim for such long distances.

Only way you're going to gain muscle is to eliminate cardio in exchange for heavy weight training, but only 3 - 4 times a week with sessions not lasting more than 45 mins - and then eat clean but slightly over what you need.

If you still want to do both then try doing the "pure compound weights" for three months whilst completely stopping the cardio.

I really can't see how you're going to achieve both at the same time but maybe you simply don't need to.

All the best