1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Help developing hips/defining hip area.

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by redstar, Dec 22, 2005.

1. redstar

redstar Well-Known Member

This may sound wierd coming from a guy but what are some good ways to develop wider (I thank that's how to describe it) hips? Like, what are some good ways to give definition to the hips in the way that I can make them seem distinguished from my stomach? I know this is kind of hard to understand but please work with me :D .

Here are examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know how to bring more definition into this area? Thanks in advance for the help guys.

2. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

The MOST important thing is to drop body fat percentage to 10 percent or lower...

Second most important thing is to make sure you exercise your abs as you would everyother muscle

but no matter how much you work them, you won't see them if there is fat over them.

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Age and genetics also play a big role. This is not to say ab and oblique work as well as a very low BF% doesn't significantly factor.

Age in that: if you're in your teens, your body is still filling out, shedding babyfat, and slightly altering your bone structure -- all the factors that transform a boy into a man and that will affect this look.

#3 chicanerous, Dec 22, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  4. miss piggie

miss piggie Well-Known Member

I've always wondered what that "V" muscle is exactly called...

5. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

That "V" is the edge of the obliques. It comes from a combination of developing the obliques and having extremely low body fat. I only see that when I am really low ... for example, you can see my abs at 188 pounds, but I don't see the V-cut and obliques until 178 pounds.

Here are a few exercises you can do:

Deep derrier-to-the-floor squats (Frank Zane actually would avoid these because he did NOT want obliques)
    Twists
    Oblique crunches (crunches where you twise your legs to the side)

Jeremy

6. redstar

Awesome replys guy. By the since I got a thread going, is 16 a good age to start getting into lifting? Nothing serious, I really have no goals of being really big but I'd like to cut and get down to a BF% where I can see my six pack. Is this safe for my age?

7. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yep!

8. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

In general, from my completely unproffestional and personal opinion,

Yes, absolutely.

Unless..... you are physically 'immature' for your age.

Now it may or may not be obvious to you. For instance, whan I was 16 I was about 1/4 inch shorter than I am now and 30lb heavier. In fact those were also my stats at 14 when I stopped gowing. So for me it was very obvious that at 16 I was done growing. If you are still growing a lot, you might want to seek advice from someone with experience with teenagers.

However, I would start lifting reasonably 'seriously'. Whether or not it is a good idea to try to get 'cut' at 16 I will leave to others, but there is certainly plenty of info available for you to get good nutrition.

9. handle

handle Well-Known Member

Definately, I'm 16 and started lifting just 4 months ago. We have the ability to grow explosevily compared to people that are older because of our bodies going through constant growth still. I've heard of people that started working out during their puberty growth spurt and while going through the growth spurt, lifted like crazy and gained pretty crazily too.

10. redstar

Yeah I know what you mean, I remember back when I used to play around a little on my bowflex* and what gains it gave me. I even had adults asking me what routine I was on. :guitar:

*I have since stopped using the bowflex :bb: