1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Help a protein shake noob out please

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Whoracle, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

So I was using Monster Milk RTD because, well it's convenient. But since I moved the gym near me now isn't selling them and it looks like buying them online is just too expensive for me. I should probably just make my own anyway, but I'm open to whatever suggestions.

Anyway here is my info and what about I'm looking for and what not. Also, I don't have any of the shake gear so to speak. So whatever cups and supplies and whatever else I need, would like help with that too.

As for me, I just need to lose weight. I'm 6' and about 260 so I'm cutting I guess. I'm not looking for the "perfect" protein shake that all the competitive bodybuilders use or whatever. It doesn't have to be isolate, I can account fora few extra calories elsewhere in the diet if I need to. I'm not rich so price is a factor. Not that it has to be the Walmart brand but I'm looking for a combination of good, good value, and at least inoffensive in terms of taste.

All help is greatly appreciated :)

2. jasarsenault

jasarsenault Active Member

I use shopper's drug mart isolate. The price is ok, but it tastes fine and it mixes well (but also there's a shoppers across from my apt.)

Ultimately just try a few out. I use the magic bullet blender. I add my protein, some banana, some berries, some peanut butter, sometimes some mango, and some water or milk (though more likely water). A few ice cubes to give it a nice consistency helps to.

I use a starkist digital scale from walmart to weigh out the food.

Jason

3. jsalazar

jsalazar Active Member

i have used ON protein for almost 2 years now, it has a good protein/weight ratio, tastes good, mixes good.

4. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

I'll also vouch for Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey. Although in a pinch Dymatize WPI is a pretty decent alternative (almost identical macros, and about the same price).

5. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Agreed. If you're just looking for a strictly whey product, then ON 100% GS Whey will definitely give you the most bang for your buck.

If you're looking for a protein blend, I would stay away from the one ON sells. It tastes awful.

6. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

GNC wheybolic vanilla is great. it tastes great and gets delivered within 30-45mins. a little expensive so you should probably only be using it directly after a work out. using it as a constant meal substitute is a waste of money IMO

7. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Most Monster Milk products are high in fat content - hence, the reason they taste good.

ON is a good product but can be pricey depending on where you buy it.

I've been using one of the sponsors on this site - Nitrean - and have found they have a very good protein powder.

My other favorite brand is Beverly.

If you're cutting you better stay away from the protein powders that have a lot of fat; e.g. Monster Milk. IMHO.

Good luck.