1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Ladies! (newbie)

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Elsaida-Alicia, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Elsaida-Alicia

Elsaida-Alicia Active Member

Hello!

Let me tell you abit about me:)

I am 30 years old have given up smoking and decided to do something about my body:o

I am 140 pounds 5 foot tall and have lower body problems (i think i am a endomorph)

My bottom is firm but it sticks out to far, my thighs are huge,and i have never had a flat stomach in my life.:( (even when i use to do ballet when i was young i still had a pot belly:D )

I am on a diet and joined the gym about a week ago, i am enjoying the gym but i am worried about my thighs getting bigger.
    I have been trying to get information off the internet, but i get conflicting answers.

At the moment i do 25 mins on the treadmill level 3 with an incline about 6.4kmph, 12 mins on ski machine level 3, 12 mins on bike level 3 about 88 per min and 12 mins on another cycle machine where you sit further back(dont know what it is called:o ).

I was too scared to go near weights untill reading all your posts, but i am going to book an hour with a personal trainer and see how i go!!:)

Is it possible for an endomorph to acheive a flat tummy????

This seems to be a really nice forum with knowledgable people!!:)

Thanks!!

2. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Welcome, Elsaida-Alicia!:)
    I think it's possible for an endomorph to have a flat tummy.:confused:
    I know a lot of people have made very dramatic changes through their efforts, and I believe that weight training is definitely an important part!
    I still don't have a flat stomach myself, but then it's never really been one of my prioriies. One of the big side effects of all the health changes I have made in my life is that I like my body a lot more, even though it's the same basic shape that I didn't used to like.:doh: Now I'm stronger and healthier.:D

As far as if you'll get bigger thighs-- don't panic too much if they get a little bigger for a while, because it takes a while to rearrange how much of your body is fat and how much is muscle. You can always modify your workouts later on if you need to. My thighs do get bigger when I work my legs a lot, but I'm really the only one who notices. Building the muscle there is very helpful in losing fat, in my experience.:nod:

3. Elsaida-Alicia

Thank you for your reply!

Is there a time limit on the amount of cardiovascular excercise you should do in one session?

I read somewhere that high intensity excercise should be limited to 45 minutes.

How do i know if i am exercising at high or low intensity? Ive tried to count my pulse while excercising to fing out what range i am in but i cant do both at the same time for some reason!:( :o

4. Butterflyer

I'm fairly unscientific about everything, so maybe someone else will stop by and answer this one. I was under the impression that low intensity cardio is best around 45 minutes, and high intensity interval training is best around 20 minutes.

I go by perceived effort to tell my intensity. If I'm gasping and couldn't carry on a conversation I'm doing high intensity.:lol: If I can talk, it's low intensity. And I never move very slowly, so I have to rein myself in a little to do low intensity cardio.

You could also look into heart rate monitors if you like the more scientific method but have a hard time taking your pulse!:nod:

5. Elsaida-Alicia

Butterflyer

Ive just looked at your jornal and i think i am going to strive for a body like yours!

I have got the same sort of body shape (not as toned or as in shape as yours tho, :( )

I love the picture of you showing your inch loss by the gap in your trousers!!:D

You have really inspired me!! Thank you xx

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

There are no limits.

You'll find recommended amounts, which are mainly to keep people from overtraining or getting burned out, but there will always be those people who are able to push those limits. Sometimes you just have to use common sense.

To me, high intensity means gasping for breath. If you can count your pulse while you're doing it, then it's probably not high intensity. :p

I think you can get a tummy that you're proud of.

It's pretty hard for your thighs to get bigger, unless you are specifically training them to failure with heavy squats and other weight bearing exercises. Even then, it's unusual, unless you're eating more calories than you're burning. Also worth noting is that bigger thighs aren't always as bad a thing as they sound. I'm happier with larger but firmer thighs than I would be with smaller flabbier thighs.

7. RedPoppy

RedPoppy Active Member

Hi there!

I'm new here too (as you already know :) ) and I'm sure most people here are more knowledgable on this subject than I am, however I will give you some advice (or hope :nod: ).

I too am an endomorph (I'm pretty sure about this as out of the 3 possibilities that one suits me best). So here is the good news: When I was young, all through highschool, I had really flat abs! I'm talking really flat! You couldn't see a full on sixpack or anything like that but it was just flat as a rack and I always wore really short tops. However, as I put on more weight, I put on weight around the tummy of course. Now I'm aiming at those nice abs again, and I have to tell you that when I do both weights and a lot of cardio, my stomach flattens out.

So... all is not lost! If we both have the same body type and I can get my tummy to get flat (with a lot of work I must admit) then I KNOW you can too! And you will! :nod:

Like everyone says, eat clean and work out (according to the guidelines) and you will get there, i'm sure of it.

Good luck on your journey!

Regards,
    RedPoppy

8. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Yep, thats me too.
    Few months ago I was crying here how my stomach STILL doesnt look flat.... and Mastover :-)bow:) said that it will get flatter..... and he was right.
    Its flat now :D (and I still dont do any cardio ;) :lol:)

9. Elsaida-Alicia

Maya

You have a beautiful body!!!!. Were you ever overweight or have you always looked after yourself???

I tend to lose and gain 2 stone every now and again. i really need to sort out my nutrition!!:(

10. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    How much is 2 stone? (in lb)
    I was 160 lb once (probably 26%bf), not overweight, but way more fat

11. Elsaida-Alicia

Two stone is 28 pounds(or there abouts!!)

I use to go through stages of not caring what i looked like and eating loads of stuff (comfort eating)

Then something would happen such as someone calling me fat, ugly etc and i would go on a very low diet of soup/salad/fruit, lose the weight, start to eat properly again (not healthly tho) and the cycle would continue.

I hit 30 last december and decided now is the time for a complete lifestyle change, i use to smoke heavily and drink quite abit too.

I started my diet on the 1st of January and have lost 14 pounds, stopped smoking 22nd january (using patches)

I hope by joining the gym i will see my body improving instead of just losing the weight and still being flabby!!!!:)

Pictures of you ladies are certainly helping me !:)

12. Butterflyer

Thanks!:tu: When I was starting out, I was looking for people like me as inspiration, too. I think it's very helpful!

Did I mention congratulations on quitting smoking? :tucool: It's so hard!
    I think you will see improvements going to the gym, with patience. Have fun!

13. Alana Calloway

Alana Calloway Active Member

Welcome Elsaida Alicia
    I'm Taneisha Moore and I've been here for a while and I'm 20 years old currently at 190lbs I'm not happy about it but I'm working on it but you should really stick to an exercise regimen and if you're already on one you should increase your Cardio burn more calories and I'm sure you'll loose the weight so fast