1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by autumngirl, Aug 23, 2008.

1. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, This is my first post in JSFF.

I have been visiting this wonderful inspiring site on and off for around 4 years. I am 25 years old, female, 5'4.5" and 127lbs (21%-23% bodyfats). I don't suffer any health problems.

I do tend to have difficulty lossing fat/add muscles (which I beleieve is genetic as most my siblings are the same). I believe it is a good thing, not to gain weight easily specially fats.

I am interested in weight/strength training. I'm 34 27 35 measurement (not sure if that's a pear, but I have large thighs which definitely gives me the pear shape). I also have tinny pony shoulders.

My goals are:

1) Trim of the excess fat. I gained some weight last month around my mid-section, hip, thigh and face. I am going back to my origional weight (that I maintained for 3 years).

2) Enhance my overall shape. My bony shoulders are not my definition of beauty. I would like to have wider shoulders. I think this will do the trick to make my upper and lower body more in proportion.

3) Enahnce my posture: I have a bad posture. I have a slight case of swayback and forward head posture. I am working on correcting that using stability exercises.

4) Enhance my endurance/strength: I love jogging/running on my treadmill. My resting heart rate is around 90-100. I don't have any heart problems. The last couple of years, I had to stick to LISS because I had a knee injury. Now, that I am fully healed, I want to do HITT but I am out of breath after 5 minutes lol. I smoke occassionally (once every 3 months), but I can kick the habit anytime.

At the moment, I am doing 2 days of cardio and 2 days of full-body strength. I eat healthy 60-80%, one cheat day. I am eating around 1700-2000 calories per day which is more than enough food for me (I am already lossing weight on this program).

My main objective is to gain strength, correct posture and add some muscle mass to my upper body.

Would like to hear your suggestions and comments.
    Thanks all and have a great day.
    :bb:

2. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

What do your lifts look like? 2/2 lift/cardio is pretty light. A lot of people around here (myself included) do at least 3 lifts per week. Many do 4-6 days a week cardio (and many do 0 cardio). Lifting more frequently may speed up your progress. Also, what type of lifting are you doing? Squats and deadlifts are foundational to a solid lift plan, and shape both men and women very well (check out DejaVued ~ the girl is STRONG, and she's got a shape a lot of people want ;) )

How does your diet look? Where are those calories coming from? If you have any questions about your diet, there is an excellent sticky in the nutrition section that can help you nail down an ideal diet.

3. autumngirl

I thought so. However, if you consider my current cardiac and strength state, my body tells me I am already doing enough. I am sore enough doing that :lol:. I started working out two weeks ago, I hope with time, I can build to 3 days of strength and 3 days of cardio.

Here goes my strength program:

2 days of full-body strength using db (around 50 minutes).

squate 3x12
    deadlifts 3x12
    lunge 3x12
    crunches 3x10
    pushups 3x10
    shoulder press 3x12
    bent-over row 3x12
    shrug 3x12
    lying external rotation 3x10

I do 2 days of cardio because I am already lossing weight. I'm not worried much about burning the fat. My objective is to gain strength/endurance, add muscle to the upper body (I'm muscular enough on my lower body :cool:)and correct my posture.

My diet is around 1700-2000 calories 40/30/30 (c/f/p). I eat 60-80% healthy. Here goes on typical day

7am and 10am: 2 brown breads, 2 pieces of smoked turkey/turkey burge, 2 slices of cheese.
    2pm: chicken breast, greens (1 brocolli, 1 cauliflower, 1 tomato).
    5pm: organic branflakes with milk
    8pm: canned tuna/salmon, 1tbsp of olive oil, 1 tomato, 1 brown bread.
    10pm: glass of milk (to put me to sleep)

I don't use any supplements beside flaxseed oil and multivitamin.

I sleep around 7-8 hours everyday. I also have a 9-5 job :D.

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey girl,

I think that's called a perfect hourglass. :)

You're starting out very close to where I was, with similar goals to what I had, and doing a very similar plan to what I did, so I predict that you'll be happy with the results you get, if you have a lot of patience. ;)

There's a couple of things you could change if you wanted faster results, but I think you're on the right track.

My shoulders/chest is my main focus as well, so I put a lot of emphasis on pull-ups, push-ups, overhead press, and rows.

There's not much of any use in my current journals, but you might find something useful in my old journals, if you haven't already seen them. It's been a while since I've read them through, so I can't remember if there's much of any help in there.
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=5762&
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?p=346676&25#post346676

5. autumngirl

Guava, thanks for stopping by and posting your comments. Your journey has always been an inspiration :claplow:.

I remember looking at your pictures two years ago and I thought that's exactly what I have in mind :spaz:.

:gl:
    Sara

6. gray

gray Active Member

bony shoulders sounds like skeletal structure to me, and no changing that, unless you add mass but it sounded like you didn't want to. Do you mean your collarbones stick out? I have that as well, though I think they look cool :) but i'm a guy as well...

7. autumngirl

My upper body tends to be bony-looking. My shoulder joint, shoulder blades and rips (back/front) tend to be visible.

I managed to gain girly :lol: muscles in my forearms and biceps. They are visible, give a nice shape to my overall arm.

My lower body however is beefy and fatty. My gluteal muscles are medium compared to my thighs and hamstring (I am officially throwing away my stationary bike :D). I always had a visible muscular thighs and hamstring. While lossing fat, I believe they will look pretty large.

By bony shoulders I was referring to the shoulder joint. Meet Ms. Stroup, see her bony shoulders sticking out. They are reasonable for her size, not mine :rolleyes:. Bony shoulders don't match with the mud wrestler thighs :bb:. I only wish I have those petite legs to begin with :p umm.

[​IMG]

When I think about my bony shoulder, my only choice is to add muscles on them hence my strength training is much focused on gaining muscles in this area. Are there certain exercises that will full up this area? and add some width to my overall shoulder?

Inspirational pictures :claphigh:
    [​IMG]

8. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

It sounds like you know your stuff and are on the right track. It would be great if you started a JSF fitness journal so we could all stay tuned -- and you'd get lots of support along the way. I love your inspirational photo. Welcome to JSF.