1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Everybody

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Figo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Figo

Figo Member

Just thought I would say hello and give everybody an insight into my background and why I'm here.

I'm 33 years old (Birthday just last week) and married with 2 great kids and have another on the way.

I found this forum after searching for fitness tips etc.....I actually came across John's main website about 5 years ago, I was probably searching for the same thing back then as well.

I have struggled with my weight since about the age of 12 despite being very active as a kid. When I say struggled, I tend to go up and down in weight but only tend to put about 2 stones on at my heaviest although in 2005 I did get up to 16st 5lb (229lb) after a football (soccer) injury prevented my from playing for 6 months.

I weighed 190lb on jan 1st 2011......today I currently weigh 164lb. I lost most of that weight steadily throughout the year simply by eating healthier. I'm 5ft 9" by the way, well, just a fraction off 5ft 10 to be honest.

Since Jan 1st of this year, I have started trying to clean up my diet even more and involve weight training. The biggest problem I have is time....I know, I know but before you all start, hear me out.

I work mon - thurs but I do 12 hour shifts of quite heavy lifting work and I'm constantly on my feet...even in this weather you work up quite a sweat after an hour or so. I have to get up at half 4 in order to get to work on time and don't get back home until 7 where I say hello, then goodbye to my wife as she leaves for her work. I then have a 3 year old son and 4 year old daughter to get bathed and ready for bed.....Once they are a bed I'm pretty much goosed for the night, not that I could go anywhere anyway with the littlin's asleep upstairs.

I guess where I'm going with this is that only leaves me 3 days to do my weights and they are consecutive days. Is this any sort of issue? I have tried to ease myself into it and if I'm honest, I'm seeing some results although that bit of stubborn fat underneath my belly button and just at the side / back of my obliques (love handles?) are really doing my head in.......thats always the last place I lose weight.

Is there any real issue with me only being able to do weights on consecutive days? Obviously I don't train the same body parts on consecutive days and what about cardio? I don't do any at all now as I can no longer make the time that my friends play football so should I be doing a little cardio on the same days as my weights?

As for diet, I'm eating a lot more protein than I used to, I'm having plenty brown rice, oats, sweet potato etc plenty of veg esp broccolli and I'm having nuts and things for good fats. I'm eating 6 times a day, I have cut out all diet cola and replaced it with loads of water although I still have a few coffees throughout the day, black with no sugar.

I appreciate I haven't gave my exact diet or routine.....I guess I'm just asking for advice with regards to the frequency I can train.

Like I say, I'm seeing some results with definate definition appearing in my arms, chest and shoulders so signs are encouraging (I'm presuming my heavy-ish job has already had an effect on my arms and shoulders and the fact that I have dropped some body fat as well)

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

You should factor in your work with your workouts. A guy that works construction lifting heavy things all day long doesn't need to lift the same way a guy that sits at a desk.

If you're working that hard all week long I'd avoid lifting three days. I'd be tempted to just do one really hard single full body day.