1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Heart rate wrist Watch

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by citrixmeta, May 19, 2004.

1. citrixmeta

citrixmeta Well-Known Member

2. citrixmeta

citrixmeta Well-Known Member

3. Arwes

Arwes Well-Known Member

I use a Polar F1 heart rate monitor I bought from Dick's Sporting Goods online. The cost was around $50 or so, and it is a strap model. Just get the little electrodes wet a bit on the strap and hit the button on the wristwatch thing and you'll see your heart rate in a sec.

You don't have your location in your profile, but if there's a Wal-Mart near you check their sporting goods. I have two Wal-Mart Super Centers nearby and both are now stocking I believe the Polar A3 monitor with strap. The price for it is also around $50 or so.

4. jesse1

jesse1 Well-Known Member

drugstore.com has a basic Polar for $24.99

5. fluke

fluke Well-Known Member

Oh damn!
    I just bought a Polar F1 for $50!

Hm. Guess I'll take it back.

Heres the link: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=87756&catid=13822&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=13822&trxp2=87756&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

Thats not the F1, same one Arwes and I bought, but I dont see how it could have any less features then the F1,.

A monitor with a chest band is far more reliable then that $12 radial pulse detector, no doubt. I was watching my F1 in action today, feeling my heart beat and the LED blink in perfect syncronicity. I'd get one of those Polars from Drugstore.com, if I were you. In fact, I think I might get one myself.

**edit**
    Upon further investigation,. Drugstore.com sells the F1 for the expected $50, listing it as a 'new' item, but without listing any difference in features. I wonder if they're just rolling out the "The Beat", and if so, why? While www.polarusa.com has a comparison chart for different models, neither "The Beat" or "F1" are included! Well this is too much mystery for me. I'm gonna call them up tomorrow and get the skinny.

#5 fluke, Jun 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  6. Taxcheat

Taxcheat Well-Known Member

I got the Polar A5, and since I'm a gadget freak, I'm sort of disappointed I didn't spring for the nicer M61. Anyhow, this website has cheaper prices than drugstore.com, and there's a coupon code that popped up on techbargains for 20% off. Expires 6/15, so hurry.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/subcategory.cfm?Cat_ID=8&Sub_ID=4115&TS=17&Sort=

Bike Sale, Jun 14
    Performance Bike sells Discount Bike Parts. Ending 20% off $50+ Code: 6000381 Exp 6/15

7. fluke

fluke Well-Known Member

Update,. I called Polar,. theres very little difference between the functionality of the F1 and The Beat,. The Beat however has been discontinued, which is why its on sale at Drugstore.com.

Unless you really need something that will calculate your caloric expendatures, bluetooth your stats to your PC, and tell you when to pick the kids up from school, I'd say The Beat is the one to get.

8. Walcwlr

Walcwlr Well-Known Member

The Beat...

I use "the Beat" by Polar. Works great. If all you want/need is to monitor your HR, you can't go wrong with "the Beat". No buttons to press... Once the strap is on, just put the watch close to it for a few seconds... it comes on automatically! Goes off automatically once the strap is removed.

9. simon.karlsson

simon.karlsson Well-Known Member

a5

I´m bidding on a polar a5 right now, didn´t know which one to get, but thought the a1 was too basic. Does anyone know if they are accurate or not. I mena do you get to program your personal settings such as hight, weight bf etc for it to calculate your calories spent... or... anyway huh I guess I´ll see whenever it comes, can´t wait....

HEhe as a matter of fact I have stepped into a phase in where I feel like I can´t do cardio until I get the heart rate monitor..... kinda same with ppl that postpone their running until their treadmill arrives....

Know what I mean??.... :p