1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Heart rate monitor in the bra? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by woeisemma, Feb 18, 2004.

1. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

I've been looking into heart rate monitors and polar has one where the chest strap is laced into a sports bra. Has anyone tried this?

2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

isn't it just that you can buy a bra with loops for a monitor strap, rather than a special monitor?

i've seen the bras, but i've never been wooed. i'm very selective about my sports bras.

3. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

That sounds interesting to me- it seems like you wouldn't have to tighten that strap so much if you could support it in some way. It might be more comfortable.

4. Ansett

Ansett Well-Known Member

I have the Polar A1, and I just set it in my regular sports bra. It maintains contact and works great. No strap necessary, ladies.

5. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Well-Known Member

Ansett, does the polar strap ever slip? Do you do high-impact activities with it on?

6. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

How do you like the Polar A1?

Does it rub you raw at all around the sports bra area? How do you like the polar A1?

7. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Nice pics, Emma!

I have a Freestyle somthing or other, and I've never had any problems with rubbing or irritation. It doens't have be cinched on, and the plastic surfaces are rounded at the edge so they don't dig into your skin. Mine fits under the bottom band of my sports bra and I forget I even have it on.

8. Ansett

Ansett Well-Known Member

It doesn't really slip. I place it in my sports bra above my breasts. I suppose it would work up under the lower elastic, but I haven't tried it there. Even if it did slip a little it would still function since all it needs is contact and damp skin. If you are sweating, no prob. I haven't noticed any irritating rubbing. As for the impact, I do brisk walking and jogging. I do like the A1 - all it does is tell you your heart rate, and that's all I need.

9. Debujanai

Debujanai Well-Known Member

10. shris

shris Well-Known Member

It's the little things..

I tried my polar B1 (Wal-mart special, dontcha know!) under the chest as it recommended. I couldn't get it to work right, even though I was moistening and everything. Tried tight, tried loose, wouldn't work.

Tried putting it above my chest just under my armpits, kinda strapped inside/outside the bra. Thought it was working, got on the elliptical, and it quit. Had a terrible time.

I was ready to give up using the dumb thing and stick with the pulsemeter on the elliptical when I figured it out--the elliptical is within the interference range of a TV, and of course the TV is on when we use the elliptical... :rolleyes:

Now I'm using it somewhat loosely strapped above my chest, right under my armpits. Works great. All I had to do was wear the watch on the other arm!

I can't speak to special bras made to hold the polar, but if it were my money on the line I wouldn't buy it unless they were as cheap as or cheaper than the other sports bras available.

If you're having rubbing problems, you might have the polar too tight, or in the wrong position. As I proved to myself, you have to experiment to find what works! :p

shris
    :eat: