1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy Sports Drink?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Justitia, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

PGC needs to drink a sports drink for various health issues.

The doctor recommended Gatorade. After drinking copious quantities for about a month, PGC was given a timed glucose test by another doctor for an unrelated matter. The result showed PGC beginning stages of Glucose intolerance or pre-diabetic.

That never happened before and after researching a bit, I was shocked to find out how awful Gatorade is health-wise.

So I am trying to find another sports drink that is healthy.

I have come up with the following:
    Nuun, Ultima Replenisher, & Alacer Corp's Electro-mix.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Spring Water (Poland Springs)
    Smart Water (contains electrolytes)
    Coconut Water

3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks, Mastover...

SmartWater is already the water he drinks.

It did seem that the Gatorade helped with a side-effect of his Parkinson's disease, urinary urgency. But I am not sure why.

The urologist said there was nothing they could do to help but that he might drink Gatorade to help reduce the problem. The urologist thought 8 glasses of water a day was way too much, but PGC suffers from dizziness rather easily and drinking enough water seems to be important (though not sufficient.)

PGC took to drinking Gatorade quite readily -- but I don't know if it was the sugar. His sweet tooth over the last year has been very high -- he's been eating a lot of cookies, sweetened cereals, etc. enough so that even though he is lean, he developed a gut.

Now he has cut that all out after the glucose intolerance report-- and --just like a guy -- his gut is shrinking before my eyes. :rolleyes:

But he seems to still want something beyond just the SmartWater and so far he kind of likes the Nuun & we are trying the Ultima today.

Thanks for the feedback -- and any more thoughts would be welcomed.

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Smart Water would be best. Further, if he is almost pre-diabetic and has side effects of Parkinson's, then exercise and diet will be crucial to his recovery. There are specific exercises and foods that will help him tremendously. You did not mention if he is incorporating exercise. Or if he is working out regularly. This will be very important. Some foods however, should be avoided depending on what medications he is on. Good luck.... :)

5. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

What is it about a "sports drink" that he needs to have? :confused: Apparently not the carbs? More detail might be helpful.

I like nuun and find it very mild.