1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy pizza recipes?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by american dream, May 2, 2005.

1. american dream

american dream Well-Known Member

Okay, so... I fully know what MY problem food is. Pizza. I could eat pizza every day for the rest of my life and be totally satisfied. But it is so bad for you.

Does anyone here have any good pizza recipes for their own that I could make at home? I am not looking for a "goat cheese, vinegarette sauce" blend, just something simple and traditional. You don't have to worry about listing toppings because the only ones I like are pepperoni (which is probably going to be on the banned listed of toppings) and green peppers. Barbecue chicken is good too, but then I am really making 2 meals instead of one (grilling up chicken, then making a pizza).

Any ideas? :eat:

2. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

Many things can be healthy and unhealthy, depending on your goals. I assume by the stats in your sig that you're cutting. Are you following certain ratios?

In college (when pizza was a common food), someone taught me how to make tortilla pizzas using flour tortillas. It was like a super thin crust pizza, very crispy. You could probably use whole wheat ones to make a nutritionally friendly pizza for yourself.

3. american dream

american dream Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am cutting. I try to stick with a 40/40/20 pcf split, but that doesn't always work. I think about pizza all the time. Every cheat meal I have, every week, without fail, is pizza. I tried making a tortilla pizza once and it didn't turn out so well. Frankly, I burned the hell out of it. I couldn't make it cook right since it was so thin. Do you put tortilla crust pizzas on cookie sheets or something?

I have heard pita is good. I wish those Boboli dudes would make a mini whole wheat crust. That would be bomb diggity.

Any other ideas?

4. LarryNC

LarryNC Well-Known Member

Fat free mozzerella cheese
    bobolli whole wheat crust thing
    homemade jar of pizza sause its in the spragetti sause isle
    all the veggies/fruit and lean meats u want ;)

I made a mushroom pizza the other day and it was very good!

#4 LarryNC, May 2, 2005
    Last edited: May 3, 2005
  5. Stecman

Stecman Well-Known Member

Definatly going to do this next weekend.

6. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

try using flatbread and using half of one. Heat in oven after applying necessary ingredients- sauce, cheese, garlic powder, black pepper, sweet basil (must have).. good luck

7. dledeaux

dledeaux Well-Known Member

Whole wheat pita bread makes a good pizza crust too.

Bear in mind that fat free cheese won't melt quite like regular cheese. Reduced fat cheese might be a little more melty, but don't overdo it.

8. JabbaTheGutt

JabbaTheGutt Well-Known Member

We usually make (or order) a multi-grain or whole wheat pizza with sauce & vegetables (mushrooms, green peppers, olives, etc.) and then put on our own "Soy Mozerella Cheese" and "Veggie Pepperoni". It's quite good, has plenty of protein and has almost no fat - I'm sure there's still a bunch of salt but we drink plenty of water to help with that.

Even still, we eat a few slices and save the rest for another quick meal.

Sorry if this sounds gross but we use to eat it with only the sauce and veggies - the soy mozerella and veggie pepperoni have made it much better.

D&G

9. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

Here is a recipe I use for pizza, complete with yummy picture goodness. Scroll about halfway down.

Jason

10. Fluogen

Fluogen Well-Known Member

You might also try using thinly sliced tomatoes instead of sauce. Very yummy.

11. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

I do a whole wheat low carb (mostly oat fiber, no transfats) tortilla (la tortilla) - use Carboptions bbq sauce for the sauce, then top w/chicken breast, onions and FF mozzarella. The large size tortilla is only 80 calories w/14gm fiber. :P