1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy Cooking and Fitness Accountability-Part One 32nd Bday Prep

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Naturegirl, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

I'm starting this really late in the evening, -morning, derp. But I had to get my first day down into the journal. The gist is - getting the holiday pounds off and prepping for upcoming birthday which I would really like to be at the best health and fitness-wise I have ever been.

I haven't been sleeping well with 3 cats now wanting my attention in the wee hours of the night and launching themselves at my bedroom window from outside. They've now got a cozy arrangement under the truck canopy with tons of straw and a fleece bed which they seem to adore. Spoiled.

Considering I've stayed within 10lbs of my weight in the last 12 years give or take a few, I feel pretty good about that. But I'm starting to get flabbier as I get older, don't have the muscle density I used to and notice way more cellulite. And I've never been super fit.

My cooking skills have improved and I've been learning much and truly grateful for the paleo recipes and fabulous books out there in existence these days!

The last two days I have had a freaking stomach ache from stressing out about a few things while eating, which is never a good idea to do since my digestion just shuts down. So I started off today with a green smoothie for breakfast and took my vitamins. Green smoothies are gorgeous. The unmelted coconut cream chunks makes it look unappetizing and the texture sucked but the thing did taste wonderful especially with almond milk.
    green smoothie 2016.jpg

We got our first egg from our chickens on Christmas day! The difference between grass and insect-fed homegrown chickens' yolks and store bought was so awesome to see when I put them in a bowl to make cornbread. Our egg is on the right and store bought egg on the left yolk is yellow and flaccid and the eggwhite is runny.
    Left Store Bought vs Right Homegrown Natural1.jpg

breakfast
    coffee with cream
    green smoothie - spinach, almond milk, coconut cream, orange juice

snack
    smoked almonds, hard boiled eggs, raw veggies with dressing, lemon water

dinner
    spice rubbed salmon, creamed spinach, russet potato

fitness
    clearing garden space by digging sod, planting roses, and playing around with the new pup

Tomorrow morning I have to get up early to deal with big government and be on hold for a couple hours first, so perhaps no early morning workout unless I can hear the speaker phone volume clearly.

It's dark as heck in the morning out here in the sticks and I don't want to get eaten by a coyote, so I'm doing squat jumps indoors. Really just started those and wow they get your heart pumping.

I will run with the pup after that when it gets light because he loves it so much. It's my first dog and he's a 75lb golden lab and is clumsy so the running is far from smooth sailing.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Welcome back.

3. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

Hello!

and

Wow that is huge difference in look. I don't think I've ever seen an egg yolk that dark. Is there a big difference in taste?

4. Naturegirl

Thank you, Seltzer :)

Hi, thank you, and maybe :) I think it does have a stronger egg flavor - not necessarily good nor bad and I think it's the same as wild meat being gamey tasting. I mostly only notice it when the eggs are hardboiled. But at least they have more vitamins.

Now, homegrown garden vegetables and fruits and nuts are definitely SO much better tasting. Cannot wait to harvest some little alpine strawberries and raspberries this summer.

I don't know what bodyfat percentage I'm at it's definitely 20+ and I have a photoshoot coming up with a photographer friend :scared:

breakfast
    vitamins
    coffee + cream
    green smoothie - spinach, almond milk, coconut cream, orange juice

snack
    lemon water
    spicy peanuts
    deviled eggs
    carrot sticks with dressing
    milano cookie

dinner
    tomato bisque soup + basil
    grilled cheese + vintage sharp white cheddar on small slice grain bread
    frozen strawberries + cream

fitness
    ran around the property with the dog

Tomato bisque soup is one of my very favorite things in life. I was very happy with my dinner tonight. And cutting up a grilled cheese made with intense cheddar and hearty bread into 4 squares somehow makes it even more enjoyable.

Other foods I have come to LOVE are beets. Holy crap - yumminess in all it's forms. I like wine too. I went to my first wine tasting this summer and realized that all wine doesn't taste like socks!

I learned a little how to cook and 'bake' on a woodstove with cast iron. Oh what a wonderful challenge. I got a workout just lifting that giant cast iron pot and had a skillet pan and small dutch oven for cobblers along with it. Yeah my skin pretty much burned off standing next to that woodstove if I tried to get the cast iron hot enough to sear meat. Was not possible and had to use direct flame for searing.

#4 Naturegirl, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I always notice a difference in taste when I am able to get fresh eggs versus the store bought stuff.

Cooking on a wood stove. Awesome. :tucool:

Running with your dog is fun and good for both of you.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Absolutely agree about the fresh stuff. The vegetables and herbs that come from our backyard are so much tastier than anything store bought. Stuff from the farmers market will give our my wife's efforts a challenge, but there's something I truly enjoy about going to our small seasonal garden and plucking something that will be used to cook with in a few minutes that doesn't happen when buying something that was bought.

Cast iron and a wood stove, that's some serious stuff there.

7. Naturegirl

Living without electricity or running water made for interesting mealtimes. I can say for sure that for baking needs, a concave flanged lid dutch oven is required to get a crisp going on the top of your food (by setting charcoal on top of the lid.) There is a science to it. That I never got around to before I bought my house.

The pup sometimes gets excited and nips my hands and runs in front of me then abruptly stops, but for the most part he's a good boy. Except when he grabs a whip of a tree branch and thrashes it around near my legs.

Yes, totally true about the herbs, how could I forget! I am SO missing my cilantro and basil. The only thing still halfway alive in the garden is the marjoram - gotta have marjoram for clam chowder, imo. I'm looking forward to having some baby green sprouts on my windowsill with a new sprout tray which I have never done before.

What are your favorite herbs, Seltzer?

Well it still feels like I got kicked in the stomach. Could be gastritis which I'm prone to and my nerves are making it worse. It could have come from a fountain drink I had at a restaurant a few days ago which is when my stomach started to hurt. I dunno why I'm always suspicious of ice machines, hah.

breakfast
    green smoothie + vitamins
    coffee + cream

snack
    smoked almonds
    cheese
    veggies + dressing

dinner
    Not sure. Waiting for the SO to get home with groceries. Hmm. There's no meat in the house except canned mackerel and spam (the latter being one of his favorites having lived in HI.)

fitness
    30 squats with empty barbell breaking parallel and 30 girly push-ups. That sucks to say. My body's mostly been sawing trees, pulling roots, digging holes with a shovel, and dragging large piles of branches for months now.

45 minutes running laps today with the dog. My heart rate was up high the whole time.

The cats joined us on our run today too.

Should have some turkey meat in the freezer soon enough!

Kitten, turkeys, and chickens FEB 2016.jpg

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

NG, I'd say basil is my favorite herb with parsley/cilantro and rosemary filling out my top three. A few times my wife grew herbs indoors during the winter and that was a nice treat, but somehow the idea has fallen off our radar and we haven't done it in few years.

I had to laugh when you wrote about your pup running in front of you. Mine does the same thing, especially going up or down the stairs. And she always has to go in between the person and the closest wall so I'm just waiting for somebody in the house to be knocked over while on the stairs.

Sounds like you're getting a lot of functional exercise so you're probably in better shape than you think.

9. Naturegirl

Man I tell you one of my favorite dishes is roast turkey with rosemary, sage and thyme. Utterly delicious and classic.

What kind of dog do you have?

Last night dinner
    rotisserie chicken
    cheese mashed cauliflower
    green beans
    frozen strawberries with cream

Well this morning I woke up feeling great - not bloated and no aching belly.

Did squats and then tried to run with the dog in a fasted state but I had no energy. Currently 'upgrading my mitochondria' as they say and getting used to less sugar. So we did a brisk walk.

Anyway I started to snack on almonds with cheese and crackers and my belly started dull aching throughout the day and radiated to my back, which is currently spasming. It's really starting to get to me, fuckin-A (excuse my language) I can feel my heartbeat in my stomach you know how when something is inflamed or hurt like a cut on your finger? Either that or it's my abdominal aorta. Ugh, only a day or two more - my gastritis usually resolves in approx 5 days. Hunching over with a loaded barbell in a beginning deadlift position makes it feel SO SO much better. I just hang there and let the weight stretch out my muscles. Feels so good.

Ok enough complaining.

snack
    smoked almonds
    cheese + crackers
    lemon water

dinner
    brown sugar glazed roast pork
    cheese mashed cauliflower
    coleslaw
    strawberries + cream

STATS: 5' tall and 20+ body fat. Not checking weight at this time since I don't have a lot to lose.

What the heck I haven't taken before pics in years and I needed to, so here goes. Hope to see significant progress in the next 3 weeks.

BEFORE front FEB 2016small.jpg BEFORE feb 2016small.jpg BEFORE back FEB 2016small.jpg

10. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    A formal photo shoot :confused: ... for any particular reason?

Are you a Jedi? :spaz:

What part of the world do you post from? That's a nice collection of proteins right there (not including the cat, unless you are posting from Southeast Asia).

With that physique as a starting point, you are going to be in such a good place by summer! :nod:

#10 phillydude, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Agreed!

12. Naturegirl

Yes it's a bridal photoshoot :spaz:

The Jedi thing went right over my head! Are we talking about Star Wars or JSF member Jedi??

I'm in the Northwest, hidden somewhere in the forest there.
    summer 2015a.jpg

Not going to eat my kitty cat no, lol. Yes we're trying to get our collection of animals started and next will be geese and dairy goats then maybe foraging pigs (it's not a dual-purpose animal so I'm not sure if we will, but I do love pork.) We don't have enough good pasture for beef cows unfortunately, but neighbors do.

Thank you I hope so.

Thank you Seltzer.

Feeling much better today. Lots of DOMS in my quads and shoulders. Not feeling it in my glutes or hamstrings so I'll have to squat deeper now.

Had to rush out the door and didn't make my green smoothie the night before.

snack
    smoked almonds
    raw veggies + dressing
    plain potato chips

lunch
    salad + avocado
    orange juice

dinner
    leftover rotisserie chicken
    roasted beets
    homemade coleslaw
    cheesecake with raspberry sauce. Oh man that was some good cheesecake.

fitness
    None. Bad DOMS.

13. Naturegirl

I woke up this morning in a wonderful mood and felt a big difference in my body/mind in only 5 days. I also noticed it in my face. My jeans slid on easily and I even saw that little roll on my back was disappearing already. I had a spring in my step. That was somewhat short-lived...

Had to leave early this morning to get to town before the crowds did their usual weekend shopping. Was out all day and then arrived at my friend's house to continue sewing my wedding dress. Somehow we sewed it just a tad too tight and I just stood there looking in the mirror thinking, "shit". It was a bit demoralizing, but I know I'm making progress.

snack
    smoked almonds
    cocktail peanuts
    pork jerky
    lemon water
    dark chocolate
    cherry tomatoes + carrots + dressing

dinner
    leftover chicken
    roasted beets
    baked potato
    cheesecake

fitness
    None today after getting home late and eating dinner and spending time with SO before bedtime.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like that photo of the chickens and turkey. Turkey is huge. I first need to see if I am allowed to raise chickens in my town (I have a feeling "no"), but I would love to get 2-3 chickens to raise for eggs.

15. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Quite a few towns have recently revised their laws to allow chicken coups. If yours hasn't there is a national chicken organization that may be able to help get you permision. An aquantance of mine got the rule changed in Scranton.

16. Naturegirl

Shamie, good for you! :)

Macdiver is right there are many cities and towns that are allowing chickens now. If you feel passionately about it don't be afraid to write or call your council members/mayor and join backyard chicken organizations to make your voice heard. You know it wasn't so long ago we the people had these things called 'victory gardens'. Tell them you are just doing your patriotic duty by providing for yourself.

Kind of irrelevant right now, but there is a point to it - even if your yard is little, make sure you keep a patch of green grass and weeds constantly growing just for your hens in their pen, because this will lessen your feed bill as well as being nutritious and mentally stimulating for your girls (hens' favorite thing to do is scratch for bugs, aside from dust bathing.) Feed is only somewhat inexpensive because of inexpensive oil (cheap oil in general, not this really cheap oil we have going on now) and it's somewhat inexpensive to run the tractors that plow and harvest the big fields of grain and corn that feed the livestock which feeds us and our pets.

Anyway I noticed in your journal you are keeping track of your grocery bill, which is awesome.

I'm taking steps to lessen our grocery bill and transition to mostly seasonal, organic small farm, and foraged foods. I wanted to try to live off what we could grow but seeing as how it's winter and we just bought our little farm and there is no tilled garden spot - we would starve.

yesterday
    snack
    pork jerky
    cherry tomatoes + baby carrots + dressing
    string cheese
    cocktail peanuts
    imitation crab meat
    m&m's
    diet cherry pepsi

I had to get cash from the gas station for the laundromat and couldn't resist buying a package of m&m's.

dinner
    grilled cheese - on small sliced grain bread
    tomato bisque soup with basil
    milk
    chocolate cupcake :o

fitness
    nothing strenuous and no excuse not to
    adding 30 minutes of yoga a day because of my back hurting.

Today I'm making a big pot of pork cabbage soup :drool:

17. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Great pics here, I especially like the one of your orange kitty. We had two orange guys, but recently lost one of them to cancer (he was 14). Orange kitties are my favorite!!!!

Great job on the fitness and diet front too!:tucool:

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm not implying it's for me, I feel good when I can harvest our small vegetable and herb garden, but I'm finding it fascinating reading about what your goals are for your land and self sustainability.

Regarding chickens, even in my town which has regulations for everything chickens are allowed. I have no idea what the process is to get approval, but know a few people who have coops on their property.

You live in a very pretty area.

19. Naturegirl

Thank you very much.

I love orange kitties too! I'm sorry about losing your old friend :( But I am glad he lived a long happy life, how wonderful for that.

This one is a troublemaker and has been from the start. It's because he's smart. But he locked eyes with me when he was a baby and I knew he was special with his soulful eyes. I decided to keep him and his sister along with their mama in the middle. (I got the whole lot of the litter fixed.)

Pumpkin, Peppercorn, Cinnamon small pic.jpg

Thanks it really is, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

I'm getting there. Used my pressure cooker for the first time and now really started learning how to can. It'll be so cool when I can my first harvest!

Oh goodness I've been MIA.

Everything's just been mediocre and sucked for fitness. Nothing exciting to report for me except more stress. Haven't been this nerve-wracked since we bought our house. SO got his dream job but there is one big issue which we're dealing with.

Been loving these sprouts (first trial run totally lopsided)- I let them grow until the 'microgreens' stage. What I really need to find are some mung beans so I can sprout them and add to Thai dishes. Yummy! I can't wait until cilantro weather too. I just about died while in the produce section at the store when I smelled the huge bundles of cilantro.

sprouts small.jpg

Our chickens are now consistently giving us 5-6 eggs a day and many are double yolks. We had a GIANT egg last week and I was really worried about our hen that I thought was the one that laid it. Guess she was ok but I bet she made quite a racket laying that egg.

egg size pic small.jpg

My pictures are being taken this week. I seriously need to get rid of any bloat. Lots of herbal tea for me! I'm really really going to try to get up extra early tomorrow morning and go for a sprint with the dog because I need to. I have a double shot of espresso by my bed and sleeping in my workout clothes!

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Now that is a big egg. :) How many chickens do you have to produce the 5 - 6 eggs per day?

I like the photo of the cats on the window ledge.