1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy body. Sick mind!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by woodan, Jan 28, 2008.

1. woodan

woodan Active Member

Edit: I've changed the name of this thread from "The new me" as although this is a new phase of my life I'm not planning on changing any time soon and therefore it will no longer be the new me, but just the regular me. "The regular me" doesn't have a great ring to it, so I've opted to take a lyric from my old life that would sum up my new life. That, and the fact that now I have got into shape and I am a bit twisted. ;)

The original thread continues from below.

I was trying to think of what it was that got me started on this fitness journey. The quote above was what a friend had said to me about a girl I had been seeing's new boyfriend. That was about a year ago and I was out of shape, not that I'd ever really been in shape, and at that moment I made a decision that I now know will alter my life forever.

This is me around that time. I chose this picture as I think it sums up how I was living quite nicely.

View attachment 24620

I started on this journey about 9 months ago. At the time I didn't know anything about working out at all. I thought it was a case of go to the gym, lift weights up and down and get big. So when after the first 3 months I ended up smaller I was at a bit of a loss (no pun intended). However, after lots of reading and learning I started to get to grips with it. I still have so much to learn but this year I know I will make some really big changes.

Towards the end of last year I tried bulking for the first time. I did manage to put on quite a bit of weight but looking back I think most of that was fat. I'm sure I made some muscle gains but it wasn't as successful as I would have liked. I also started at a BF% that I wasn't particularly comfortable with to begin with. So things just got worse. Also, when I look back at that bulk my food choices were poor and not structured well.

I can say this now as I have just completed 60 days of SGX. During this time I have really surprised myself. I have stuck rigidly to the meal plan I came up with to meet my macro nutrient requirements and it has paid off as the results so far have been good. I still have some way before I reach my goals and unfortunately my consultation has run out but I know I'll get there if I stick with it.

I've been looking at the progress photos I've been taking over that last year and I've finally realised the importance of them. You can't appreciate the changes until you compare photos that were taken months apart. Here are the pics that hammered this home for me.

View attachment 24621

The first pic was taken towards the end of my bulk last year and the second about a week ago. I was actually shocked when I looked back and saw how big I was then.

Here is my SGX progress so far

View attachment 24622

I want to reach a low BF% and I thought 20lbs would be enough to do it. However, after seeing these it looks as though I could lose another 20!

I'll try and keep this journal updated fairly regularly. It won't be daily as I know I'm terrible at keeping these up to date. I will post my progress photos and a little round up every other week or so though.

I have surprised myself and I know I have surprised all my friends with my dedication to this new lifestyle. I'm feeling better than I have ever before and I know this is still just the beginning. I can't wait to see where I end up.

--Dan

#1 woodan, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. archie

archie Active Member

Hello.
    Well done on SGX.
    I don't think you looked all that bad when you went into it, but you are looking good now.

I think that if you are not happy with the bf% you are at now I can understand still wanting to cut. But in my opinion (I don't know much though :p) I think it would be worthwhile giving bulking another shot soon to pack on some more muscle. And although bulking is different from cutting, coming out of SGX should help with the discipline needed for a successful bulk.

No matter what you do though, you progress so far is awesome!
    Keep it up :tucool:

3. woodan

woodan Active Member

Don't worry I'm not going to go mad and cut myself down to nothing. I think another month or so should be enough to get me where I am truly happy. After that I think I'm going to just maintain over the summer months. Maybe try an put on a little weight, but very slowly. This will be the first summer that I'll feel comfortable with my shirt off and I'm going to make the most of it!

The thing I'll take away from SGX is definitely the discipline though. My eating habits are changed forever. From now on I'll be much more conscience of what I'm eating and why.

Knowing what I know now I've been getting increasingly annoyed with the food industry in this country. There is an obesity epidemic on the way if not already here. Since the turn of the year all the food companies have been advertising are their new 'Healthy options'. I have so much distrust towards these companies now. I personally don't see how any mass produced, heat in the microwave food can be a healthy option.

Anyway, rant over. If you'd told me this time last year that I would be into all this I would have probably laughed in your face.

4. Haircut

Haircut Well-Known Member

See your problem was clearly that you were drinking Carling and not a proper beer ;)

Seriously though congrats on the changes - there's clearly a big difference.
    As you have discovered one of the most important things is educating yourself about diet - it's scary how little the average person knows about what is healthy.

Congrats again on your progress and good luck for the future.

5. woodan

woodan Active Member

Could have been worse, could have been Fosters :p

On the topic of beer though I think that's been one of my worst areas. Living in London and working in the industry I do there is loads of drinking going on all the time. This year I resolved to not let things stand in the way of my goals. Drinking was getting in the way of my body composition goals and my career goals. Since I made that resolution I've not had one drink and I don't intend to until I reach the end of this cut. And even then I'm not sure how much I'll even want a drink.

6. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Nice transformation! Looks like you did very well on SGX!:tucool:

7. woodan

woodan Active Member

Yesterday, I learned that I'm being fined £120 for skipping a £0.90 bus fare. The reason I skipped the fare was to top up my travelcard and the nearest place is a mile away.

This in my opinion is way out of proportion. I would probably have been fined less if I'd beat someone up.

Tomorrow I'm going to phone them up and find out if there is anyway of reducing this fine, £50 of the fine is "costs". If there is not I'm going to tell them that I'll be skipping the fare for my next 120 bus journeys.

8. woodan

woodan Active Member

I figure I'll write in this as I'm stuck for things to do right now and it's too late to start watching a movie.

Painted my office / bedroom today. I posted about it in another thread but I feel it belongs here too. I'm so much happier with the space nice I barely want to leave it. This should be a good thing as I have a lot of work that I need to complete this month as a friend and I are trying to start a new business developing an internet application.

View attachment 24805

Had my arm / shoulder workout today. After a few weeks of being able to up the weights today's were right on the money and I actually reached failure on my last set of skull crushers. I'll be sticking with the same weight next week. I even managed to complete the spread sheet I created for it. I'll have to add some new columns for the next few weeks. But this is quite an achievement for me. I actually stuck it out until the end (I can be quite impatient and usual get so excited by the next thing that I will cut what ever I'm doing short).

I had a cheat meal this evening. It's my first in about 2 weeks really. Last week I semi cheated by seeing if I could stomach cottage cheese and pineapple as an extra meal one night. Tonight I had pizza. I've not had pizza for a long time. It was ok. Looking back I could have probably made a better choice, but I just wanted something quick and easy to cook.

In terms of my diet I've decided to drop my calories. I'd been on around 2300 on training days and around 2000 on off days for the last 2 months. In that time I've lost 26lbs in weight (that's quite an insane amount now thinking about it). I figured it was time anyway. I've knocked about 250 off each. It might sound low, but I don't do anything. I work in my bedroom, I only leave the house every few days to pick up food, my gym equipment is less than 15ft from where I am sat typing this. If I were to use one of those BMR calcs I should put bed rest as my activity modifier.

I can't wait until I'm not cutting anymore. I would like to be slightly more relaxed about my diet. Saying that though, I plan to eat pretty much the same stuff, just more of it when I finish this. Must get more fibre!

My weekly BF% this morning said I was 7.7%. In my opinion I don't look like I'm anywhere near that. I did measure each site 3 times though and plugged it in to the equation. I don't know what else I can do. I try and pinch as much fat as I can. I guess as long as it's an indication of progress it doesn't really matter either way. As long as it keeps going down until I get the look I'm after.

I crunched some number this morning and I think I want to to lose another 5-7lbs. Then that will be it. That will leave me at about 165-7.

I do want to start strength training again though. The SGX leg day may be brutal but after all the pre-exhaustion exercises I have to lift less than half my PB for the squats. I want to start lifting heavy and actually take part in the challenges in my sig.

This journal entry is all over the place. I think I'm going to try and keep updating this more frequently. If nothing else it'll be good to look over some day down the line.

Random thought: If you are cutting, and you are on a calorie deficit. Could there be a point where the deficit becomes you're maintenance calories because you have lost weight?

#8 woodan, Feb 9, 2008
  9. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

IMO (which isn't saying much) The answer to that question is: Kind of yes, but it's only temporary, while you're in the cut. The gap between you're intake and expenditure narrows as you progress to a point to where "results" slow way down, but there's still a gap there. if you've had a macro change from SC you'd have seen what he does to compensate for this. As soon as you come off the deficit you're body will bounce back rather quickly, and since you've been running sgx you don't have to worry about your metabolism getting all messed up.

I'll make one recommendation, and I think I've read carguy say this too:

In the weeks immediately following you're return to a normal more "relaxed" diet---hit the weights BIGTIME. You are gonna blow up a little coming off of SGX, but its not a bad thing at all. It's an anabolic rebound effect, from you're body being in a deficit for so long. I think I gained 7 lbs Lean and 2 lbs fat in the 3-4 weeks after jumping off sgx.

10. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Your office looks great!:tu: Unfortunately, my wife was looking over my shoulder while I was viewing the pictures - and now she thinks we should paint our office a warmer color like yours! I hate painting!:cry:

11. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

You can definately see the difference just be looking at your face in those pics. Good work!

12. woodan

woodan Active Member

All the pics above (except the one withthe beers) are since I've started training. Here's an old, old pic (a rare one with my shirt off) compared to a pic from last night where I'm going for my men's health cover boy look. ;)

I for one am flabbergasted. I think I'd have enjoyed my twenties a lot more if I'd taken care of myself. Or perhaps I looked like that because I enjoyed them too much ;)

View attachment 24812

Asides from that though, not much happened today. I've updated my spreadsheet for my next phase to make it easier to fill in. And I have a nice bruise + slight cut on my forehead where I accidentally headbutted the corner edge of a wall in my kitchen while I tested the force required to pull of a self adhesive hook.

Oh, I tried the tuna and greek yogurt suggestion I read about in the tuna thread. It wasn't bad. Same texture as tuna mayo but less fat. Would have been perfect in a sarnie. Shame I've not eaten bread in a couple of months. I will come up with the perfect tuna scenario. I know it.

#12 woodan, Feb 10, 2008
  13. woodan

woodan Active Member

Tell me about it. It starts out like a bit of fun but that wears thin pretty quick. I'm happy it's done, but it'll be a while before I'm doing any more decorating.

14. Happy Monster

More like homoerotica posing there.. :p

15. woodan

woodan Active Member

I'm excited today! Last night I decided as of today I'm going to change my diet and workout plan. SGX has done me very well and I can only thank SC for that. I've gone from 198lbs to 172lbs in less than 3 months retaining most of my LBM. But it's time for a change. I still intend to cut until either the end of feb or I reach 168lbs, which ever is sooner. But for my diet I'm going to base it around this carb cycling plan:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_carb_cycling_codex&cr=

As for my workouts I'm going to move on to the Bill Starr 5x5 as I had planned. I think this will work quite well as the first 4 weeks are deloaded weeks that get you prepared. Seeing as I'll still be cutting this is a good thing. As the weights get heavier I'll increase my calorie intake to maintenance and maybe a little over. I'm going to workout my initial maximums today. So they will probably be on the low side anyway.

So without further ado here is my "High Carb" meal plan which I'll be following today. It will change slightly when I get better ingredients and then will be standard for my heavy days which are Mondays and Fridays:

Meal 1 - 07:30 - Targets p36 / c68 / f0
    125g Cottage Cheese
    160g Tinned Pineapple
    40g Oats
    150ml Semi skimmed milk
    15g On Whey

Meal 2 - 10:00 - Targets p36 / c0 / f10
    40g ON Whey
    15g Almonds

Meal 3 - 12:30 - Targets p36 / c0 / f10
    1 Egg, whole
    105g Wiltshire Cured Ham
    100g Broccoli

Meal 4 - 15:30 - Targets p36 / c0 / f10
    120g Tinned Tuna
    20g Cheddar Cheese
    100g Broccoli

Meal 5 - 18:30 - Targets p36 / c136 / f0
    40g ON Whey
    80g Dextrose
    70g Brown Rice

Meal 6 - 20:00 - Targets p36 / c68 / f0
    130g Cod
    50g Brown Rice
    125g Sweet Potatoes

I'm going to work out the other days later today and I'll post them when I'm done. The best thing about this diet for me is I won't be eating the same thing at the same time day after day like I have been. Each carb load will have a different meal plan. The loads are going to go as follows:

M - High
    T - Low
    W - Moderate (carbs around workout)
    T - Low
    F - High
    S - Moderate (carbs in morning)
    S - Low

It's actually mad, I can feel the carbs from this mornings breakfast. I've not had carbs in the morning for months. It's true what they say; you can only really appreciate something once you've been without it.

:spaz:

16. woodan

woodan Active Member

I completed today's workout which was a bit of a hybrid between the initial 5x5 workout and me testing my maxs on the lifts. Basically, I took a safe estimate and used that for the progress and lifted the last set to failure rather than 5.

So it looks like this:

Squats

5x49, 5x57, 5x65.5, 5x73.5, 8x81.5

I'd forgotten what it was like to have a heavy bar on my back, and it actually gave me a bit of a shock. I didn't actually go to failure on these but I know I wouldn't have been able to get the 9th up. This puts my 5rm at 90kg which is 10kg of my PB. And with the current progression it's going to take me 9 weeks to get back there.

Bench

5x33, 5x38.5, 5x44, 5x49.5, 8x55

The bench surprised me a little as I tried to test my max last week and could only manage 10x50, and then this week I manage 8x55 after all the other sets. It could have been 9x55 but my mind when blank when I got up. Too much straining. I took the conservative result as I know I definitely did 8. This puts my 5rm at 60.5kg which I don't think is too far off what it used to be. Jolly good.

Rows

5x27.5, 5x32, 5x36.5, 5x41.5, 11x46

I was obviously way to conservative with my rows estimation. 11 on the final set?! Anyway, this puts my 5rm at around 56.5kg

Overall, it doesn't look particularly good for any of the challenges in my sig. With a 2.5% weekly progression as the program recommends after 16 weeks my squat would be 257lbs, and my DL 325lbs (this could change when I try and max it on Wednesday). Maybe seeing as I'm starting fairly low anyway it wouldn't hurt to go up in 3% or 3.5% increments. (Even at 3.5% I'd only hit 281lbs for squat)

I guess I'll have to see how it goes and play it by ear. These maxs might not be a good measure seeing as I'm coming off a 2 month cut and am not currently taking creatine (which I intend to start again at the end of the month).

Still, it was nice moving some larger weight about. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do in the press and DL on Wednesday now.

17. woodan

woodan Active Member

Right, I'd programmed the spreadsheet wrong. Well... I'd programmed it right, but I'd got the program wrong as the example they used was misleading. Where I had a 2.5% increase from my current 5rm added throughout the program I should have been increasing 2.5% from the last weight. It makes a small difference. However, I still wouldn't get a 300lb squat or a 350lb deadlift in 16 weeks. So I might abandon those challenges.

What I would get are the following 5rms:
    Squat - 120kg
    Bench - 80kg
    Row - 72.5kg
    Press - 41kg (this must be way off as I used to press 5x45kg)
    Deadlift - 150kg

But actually, the projected 1rms for these figures are practically spot on the targets in my sig. Looks like that might be the goal after all!

Excuse the rambling. I come up with this rubbish as I type. Perhaps I should plan my posts in future ;)

18. Happy Monster

Rambling seems to be you. Stick with it! :)

19. woodan

woodan Active Member

It's true. I think as I go along. These posts are a real time brain dump.

20. woodan

woodan Active Member

I forgot to post yesterdays meal plan so here goes:

Low Carbs - Rest (Tue / Thu / Sun)

Meal 1 (P+C) - Targets p36 / c54 / f0
    125g Cottage Cheese
    160g Pineapple
    1 Apple, Braeburn
    30g ON Whey

Meal 2 (P+C) - Targets p36 / c54 / f0
    1 Apple, Braeburn
    40g Oats
    150g Milk, skimmed
    30g ON Whey

Meal 3 (P+C) - Targets p36 / c54 / f0
    130g Cod
    100g Broccoli
    100g Sweet Potatoes
    40g Brown Rice

Meal 4 (P+F) - Targets p36 / c0 / f10
    45g ON Whey
    12g Almonds

Meal 5 (P+F) - Targets p36 / c0 / f10
    1 Egg, whole
    105g Wiltshire Cured Ham
    100g Broccoli

Meal 6 (P+F) - Targets p36 / c0 / f10
    120g Tinned Tuna
    25g Cheese, cheddar
    100g Broccoli

And here is my meal plan for today:

Moderate Carbs - Workout (Wed)

Meal 1 (P+C) - Targets p36 / c54 / f0
    125g Cottage Cheese
    160g Pineapple
    1 Apple, Braeburn
    25g ON Whey

Meal 2 (P+F) - Targets p36 / c0 / f10
    45g ON Whey
    12g Almonds

Meal 3 (P+F) - Targets p36 / c0 / f10
    1 Egg, whole
    105g Wiltshire Cured Ham
    100g Broccoli

Meal 4 (P+F) - Targets p36 / c0 / f10
    120g Tinned Tuna
    25g Cheese, cheddar
    100g Broccoli

Meal 5 (P+C) - Targets p36 / c109 / f0
    45g ON Whey
    80g Dextrose
    40g Brown Rice

Meal 6 (P+C) - Targets p36 / c54 / f0
    140g Cod
    40g Brown Rice
    125g Sweet Potatoes

So that just leaves Saturdays plan. I'll post that on the day. As you might be able to guess it's pretty similar to the others. I'm not very imaginative.

I'm looking forward to today's workout. Time to start some heavy DLs and finally get to press some heavier weight as well. It's felt slightly embarrassing just pressing the bar recently, but when you have to do it 48 times with barely any rest...

I'm going to do the same as I did on Monday. I'll start with fairly conservative numbers and perform the 5x5 structure until the last set where I'll do it to failure and use those results to work out my 5rm. I'm basing my DL off a time I did go to failure anyway so that should be quite accurate already.

I was in be before 10pm last night which is remarkable for me. I guess Monday's workout hit me harder than I thought. I'm feeling very refreshed today so I'm expecting big things! :spaz: