1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Have barely lost any weight in 23 days.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by GatorDeb, Jan 9, 2010.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I started on 7/3 and from 7/3 until 12/18 I lost 46.5 lbs. Since then, I have lost TWO pounds in 23 days. I started monitoring my body fat % and it has gone down 1.5-1.7% in 2 weeks.

I zig-zag calories. Right now I'm 168.5 lbs (started at 215 lbs), 5'4". My inches are not changing even though the BF % has. I go 1600 1700 1800 1900 1800 1700 1600 throughout the week, with an average of 1729 calories a day.

I take an average of 18-20 fitness classes a week and that's all I do for exercise. It includes 3 strength classes with barbells and hand weights (Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, full body for an hour), 2 spin/cycle classes, one Pilates class, and the rest cardio (Zumba, TurboKick, etc.). Sometimes I add another weights class but only on weights days.

I eat around 50/30/20 carbs/protein/fat. Most of my fat comes from cheese and nuts, most of my carbs come from fruit, and most of my protein comes from eggs (no yolk).

I am sooo disappointed in the "lack of progress" right now. Sigh :( If I'm doing all the right things how come the weight and inches are still there? How can the fat % go down and the inches not? (on 12/30 I was at 34.9% and now I'm at 33.2-33.4% BF).

2. angryviking

angryviking Active Member

You've been going at it for 6 months continuously? Consider taking a week or two for full rest or active recovery.
    Great job on the weight loss so far! I know how hard it can be to take a break when you have so much momentum built up.

3. Red23

Red23 Active Member

How is your energy level? Other than the scale slowing down, has anything else changed (i.e. are you getting stronger, weaker, sluggish, just the same, etc.)?

And sometimes water weight blunts scale progress. Back when I did my first big cut I found I had slow downs like you and then all of the sudden you drops a few quick lbs. You are working hard and your diet seems very structured and it has obviously worked so far, so best to take a look at how you feel. If you are still feeling good, strong and energized just switch up your routine a bit (even though you seem to have a good variety so even sometimes moving cardio or changing the type of cardio). Changing things might be mental, but a change-up every now and again is a good thing sometimes.

I don't know if you have had cheat meals along the way, but a planned cheat after some significant progress often helped me. You might gain a few lbs the next day, but 5 days later I found I'd be down a couple of lbs.

The key is patience and consistency in the long run. No need to get off course, just a few tweaks along the way as you seem to have the discipline to be successful.

4. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

Am I Understanding this right?

Did the 1.5% loss in BF occur in the last two weeks?

There's your answer, if that's the case. The scale only tells part of the story. Body composition (Fat vs. Lean) is the other.

If your body fat is down 1.5% and the scale unchanged you are still accomplishing your goal of loosing fat. You've added something--water and/or muscle most likely.

There is no reason for disappointment. In addition to the scale and the BF percentage, start using a tape measure (if you aren't already). Pick a couple of places--waist size & bust size for instance. Keep track of those too. EDIT: Whoops, I see you are already doing this!

You may find that there are times when the scale says you have lost nothing but your tape measure says you are down 1/4" and BF down 0.5%. Celebrate! :claphigh: because you are still making progress toward your goal.

Look back and the EXCELLENT progress you have made so far. You are fantastic.

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I lost 1.5-1.7 BF in the past two weeks but have lost no inches. Although who knows maybe a quarter of an inch here and a quarter inch there is hard to catch sometimes. I just wish I'd start going down in weight again!!! I love going to the gym, I don't go to work out, I go to have fun, so it doesn't feel like work to me.

I take the same TKB and Zumba classes each week but I take them with many different instructors who all do their own thing, so I have quite a bit of variety.

Energy-wise I feel great!! Had bloodwork done on 9/4 when I started the classes and had it done again today to see what's under the hood. Blood pressure was 125/58 less than an hour after finishing a Zumba class (which to me means the top number is even lower than that).

#5 GatorDeb, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  6. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

What you are going through is perfectly normal. :nod: I lost 97 lbs and hit some snags and plateaus throughout. I agree with the others - your body is just adjusting. If it continues for a couple weeks then you may need to look over your foods.

Remember to rest! :nod:

7. BJ

BJ Active Member

Try dropping 200 calories per day and see what happens

8. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Active Member

Did I understand correctly? "I take an average of 18-20 fitness classes" So you are training roughly 20 hours per week? almost 3 hours for 7 days a week or more than 3 hours 6 days a week?

Sounds like you might be overtraining as well as the other things mentioned above.

9. IamthePreston

IamthePreston Active Member

I tend to agree with this. Three hours a day is more than a college athlete practices in season.

Your body may have adjusted and went into starvation mode where it is trying to store everything you consume for energy later on. However if you are sure you feel great and have a lot of energy this probably isnt the case. You have to make sure its just not excitement from the initial weight loss. Anyway worrying about it will also slow down your fat loss.

The other option is that you lost a lot of weight quickly and now you are just hitting a plateau. It happens to everyone sooner or later. Just try mixing things up. As you lose weight you will need to readjust your caloric intake accordingly.

Regardless I think you have done great so far and I wish you the best of luck.