1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here tried Max-OT?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by George Kaplin, Dec 31, 2005.

1. yp_panagGR

yp_panagGR Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, so this means that since im an ecto.. (unfortunately) It is physically impossible to look like that pic that glenn has for example? You will always stay small?? So basically no matter how hard I work out I will never look "big" ?? - correct me if im wrong, i really dont know :rolleyes:

2. glenn_001

glenn_001 Well-Known Member

I think so, i think you can think your an ecto when younger but actually be meso but not finished growing.

3. glenn_001

Its hard to say til you finish growing, im sure an expert would know earlier.

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry about whether you're an endo, meso, or ecto and if it will hurt your progress. Most people couldn't look like the guy in glen's avatar without the use of both anabolics and extreme dedication.

I started out as a severe ecto and I'm getting bigger. Am I now a meso? I don't know, but I didn't even make the underweight category on the BMI chart when I was younger.

5. yp_panagGR

You know... it's really hard to work so hard to obtain something and to eventually never be able to get it. I wish I could just know whether or not I can have a real cut fit body so I dont have to waste my time and go through so much trouble for nothing. Although personally I believe that I do have the ability to become nicely cut and muscular, but maybe just not "huge!" You dont have to be "huge" to look good.. I would rather prefer a nice cut muscular look instead and I believe that that is what my body type is.

6. glenn_001

Exactly, anyone can pack on some decent musle, just need to put in the hard work and it will happen.:tu:

7. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

No. That's why I used the Lou Ferrigno example. He is an ecto, but he worked against genetics and achieved extraordinary size (even before using anabolics from what I know).

It may be impossible for you to look like glenn's avatar, I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a pic of Mentzer (?). He had incredible genetics, incredible work ethic, incredible knowledge and intelligence, incredible diet, and incredible drugs.

You can still look big, I promise. :) I just am not going to sit here and say anyone can look like a pro bodybuilder. It doesn't work that way. We're talking about guys who have the genetics of under 1% of the population, who have perfect diets, who use steroids, etc.

That's a good point, glenn.

And in bold print is the most important point of this discussion. Forget about this endo/ecto/meso stuff for now. Don't even think about it again.

Of course you can have a really cut and fit body! But to say "sure, no problem, you can look like a pro bodybuilder" would be a big fat lie. We don't know anything about your genetics, for example.

Listen, if you are exercising, eating right, resting properly, and all that jazz, you are not at all doing it for nothing. There are many other good things to come out of this lifestyle other than getting big muscles. And besides, everyone has the ability to build and maintain HIS OR HER best body. Yours may not look LIKE mine, or LIKE Mentzer's, or LIKE Brad Pitt's, but you can definitely make it look great!

The fact of the matter is Mike Mentzer will always have (had :( ) a bigger physique than me. But I can still build MY best physique.

I would not stress over any of this at all. Trust me, it's not all for nothing. :)

8. yp_panagGR

Thanks for the reply, realy good input there ;)
    Dont think I have low hopes for myself.. lol I was just wondering in general whether or not the body type can keep you from that dream beach body. Ofcourse its a great lifestyle and habit to eat right, and workout alot, I made a mistake by saying "all for nothing." It is indeed really important.

9. Beige

Beige Well-Known Member

This is key advice, worth a bump. Max-OT has worked great for me, but I've seen people making impressive gains on almost any kind of weight lifting program (high-rep and low-rep, with enough rest in-between) as long as they eat enough (and of the right, protein-rich) foods.

Every time my gains have stalled at the gym, the problem has been solved just by increasing my food intake (i.e. an extra lean protein meal in the day, or bigger meals). During my first year in the gym nutrition was my biggest limiting factor - I was trying to lose fat so I ate way too little, as low as 1200-1500 calories per day, and although I lost the fat and got toned I didn't pack on much strength. And the stronger you get the more food you need, so the amount of food that gives you impressive gains for the first 3 months of your lifting will probably not be enough a few months later.. if you're no longer making consistent gains on a program that has worked in the past, nutrition is your most likely problem.

So, whereas Max-OT is definitively a reasonable lifting guideline to get stronger, regardless of whether you want to cut or bulk successfully nutrition is probably a good 70% of the equation, with adequate sleep and how you lift being the other 30% in importance (from my personal experience). So, once you're done getting comfy with the Max-OT lifting tome (and it's worth reading the whole thing at least once, there's some useful advice regarding how to perform certain lifts further back in the doc), be sure to get acquainted with the nutrition forums around here.

For bodybuilders at the top of their game, the food intake can be mindboggling.. Check Jay Cutler's nutrition page for an example of just how much food the guy ate while cutting for the Mr Olympia contest in 2005.. http://www.jaycutler.com/sub/nutrition.htm

Whereas that's way more food than a typical beginner would ever need for successful cutting, it can still be educational to study the composition of his meals (protein, carbs) in relation to his training.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your progress.

10. Jon Skee

Jon Skee Well-Known Member

well im on the second week and have done my chest day with the max OT warmup.

and all i can say it worked for me, i lifted more weight than i did last week and i am guilty of not warming up properly and i can usually feel tightness in my chest but not that time :D

and today im not sore all over but where i am i can deffinatley feel it, and im sure itle move over to other areas by tomorrow.

im enjoying this so far, and it is intense when using high weights i was boiling last night at 6:30pm in the garage which btw is freezing:eek:

11. Jon Skee

Jon Skee Well-Known Member

can someone answer this for me please?:

on todays session its shoulders & traps, this week ive started the max OT warmup before exercising and its working pretty good, but if im doing shoulders and warming them do i need to do the warmup sets on the traps aswell?

12. glenn_001

Yes, but i recommend only 1 set to warm up.

13. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Not really. If anything maybe 1 warmup and 1 or 2 acclimation sets.