1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here tried Max-OT?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by George Kaplin, Dec 31, 2005.

1. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Very true, get in the gym. Its surely aboove most routines that you'll get in a BBing rag.

2. yp_panagGR

yp_panagGR Well-Known Member

The thing is though that im not trying to do just "anything" instead of sitting on the couch, my goal is to add more muscle mass and to LOOK bigger, not just feel better, which im under the impression MAX OT does...I have read it only makes you stronger, but not bigger.

Im trying to find out what routine or program I should do to get bigger and heavier to no longer show that im an ecto. I started the MAX OT program today and instead of starting off with legs like the first week says i figured it wont really matter and i just went for arms and abs. I noticed that with less reps, im not getting as tired as usual thus I think maybe im not really making any difference. I left the gym not feeling tired. I did follow the technique and I even rested between sets 1-2 minutes like it says, and I did 4-6 reps just the way I was supposed to. Maybe its not the right program for me since im an ecto to get big? I dunno, but I will continue for the whole 6 months and see what happens..

Theres no use judging the program based on my first day :)

3. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

If you want to get big squats are the last excercise you should be avoiding. Most coaches would suggest you increase strength levels before concentrating on muscle growth however Max OT is designed for muscle gain i think you'll do fine and you will get stronger.

Just ignore my previous posts i'm reading a new book and i'm taking it all has gospel, i need guys like gtx to straighten me up, sometimes:). Although the coach that wrote the book is very well respected.

If your training to failure you should be tired, i was smashed after doing Max OT.

4. yp_panagGR

I guess I wasn't really tired today because I was not so much concentrating on the lifting as much. I was actually experimenting the whole time with different weights to see which ones work with 4-6 reps .. failure at 6. I suppose once I actually begin working out with these weights hard ill be fine and tired

5. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Yeah i would think so. It will take a few weeks i believe to really perform Max like its outlined if your just starting out.

Good Luck :tucool:

6. Jon Skee

Jon Skee Well-Known Member

i changed my leg day with chest, and i did it a few hours ago and im nackered lol.

see how arm and ab day goes tomorrow because i usually get very tired doing them and cant go on anymore, but might change with 3min rests which i found good today.

7. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I would suggest doing legs on the first day of the week as it says to in the MAXOT literature, because it's the day when everyone is doing chest and arms. :) You will have the squat rack to yourself! But does it REALLY matter? No, not really. Well, you may be more "fresh" after the 2 days off, and be able to lift with more intensity. Hrm...if so then yes, it's a good idea to place legs as the first day. I believe your leg day will likely be your most important day.

I was smashed after MAXOT sessions too, but in a different way. I'm doing more volume and less failure right now, when I get out of there I am tired but it's just a different kind of tired.

8. yp_panagGR

Yea, after hearing all your opinions about which day to do which body part i realized that I screwed up.. lol oh well. Ill just start over again. I dont want to mix up the program

9. yp_panagGR

I encountered a little bit of a problem in the gym the day before when experimenting with different weights. I remember reading this:

* Remember, the weight you use should be light enough to do four reps, but heavy
    enough so you can't do more than 6 reps. Each set should be done to positive failure.

So i tried to find the right weights for this to happen, although No matter how many different weights i tried I would never be able to find the right ones so that it is "light enough for four reps but no more than 6 possible." I guess I'll have to keep searching for the right weights...:bang:

10. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It will take at least 1, if not several, weeks to get used to MAXOT and really get into the groove. I would not even count this week as "week 1" if you don't know your weight ranges yet. Use this week for experimentation.

Let's say today you grab the 50 pound dumbbells to do dumbbell bench press. But you push it up once and "oh shoot!" those are too heavy. So you get up and rack those weights and pick up the 40 pound dumbbells. You lay down and knock out 8 reps. Now you know that next week you should probably try the 45 pound dumbbells, since 50 was too heavy and 40 was too light.

Do the same with everything else...

11. YardleyBill

YardleyBill Well-Known Member

Can you incorporate the lifting in MAX-OT into another program?

Like, say I just wanted to do a regular 3-day split with 2 body parts per day and 2 exercises per body part, but do the warmup sets, weight acclimation, and then the heavy sets?

I believe his theories that the 10 and 8 in a pyramid set are probably wasted.

I agree that there are things that could be spelled out a little better in the PDF. For example, giving percentages of the warmup and acclimation sets would be helpful. I figure d them out on my own, and they were a great starting point.

12. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yes. Look at the PDF though, they have a 3-day split already laid out.

13. YardleyBill

YardleyBill Well-Known Member

I saw that.

That is the one-day off split, and they reference anohter one, but it is not in there.

Can I use that one, but spread it out over a week?

My big issue with MAX-OT is that I am looking to keep my workouts relatively short and 3 days a week. I also would like to only do 2 exercises per body group, which means 3 heavy sets for each exercise. Some things (like squats) I just want to do the squat.

So, I really can't follow the MAX-OT program, but I like his thinking. So I was thinking of incorporating it into my workout.

For example, chest ... maybe do MAX-OT for the bench, and then do a regular 12-10-8 set non MAX-OT.

Think that would work? Or should I just follow MAX-OT and do as many exercises as I want. I know they say not to deviate, which is why I'm not saying I am doing MAX-OT.

That all make sense?

14. yp_panagGR

Today was my second day of MAX OT and im lovin it!!!:bb:

I can barely type rite now because my forearm is so pumped up!! Today I did chest and forearm. I think that chest and forearm day will be by far my favorite workout of them all. I dont even have to go to the gym, all i need is a bench press, and dumbells, I have just the right weights for 4-6 reps. I just cant wait to see this thing bring results.. im feelin' it! :tucool:

15. mahloni

mahloni Well-Known Member

Yes. Eat, eat, eat. One of the big reasons many bulking programs "don't work" is because the person doing the program, fails to eat enough. You can work as many reps, negative reps, pyramid sets and OT sets as you like but if you don't eat enough all that work will not translate into size.

Someone posted in another forum on bulking some very good advice. (I can't recall who) but he said:

"When you are bulking you should consider 'eating' your full-time job."

Basically many experienced 'bulkers' have emphasised how important it is to eat and eat a LOT. Always have healthy snacks at your desk and on your person. Don't ever go without eating long enough to "feel hungry".

One of the reasons it is better to have '6 small meals' or a constant 'grazing' mentality is that it is easier to eat all that you need if you spread it over several meal times. Trying to pound back 3000+ calories in 3-4 meals can be tough.

And it's not enough to focus on eating 3-4 days a week. Eat always. And always eat.

I find this is not emphasized as much as other aspects of weight training because the majority of people starting to enter a fitness/transformation routine are usually trying to lose a lot of (fat) weight as well as get more muscular and fit.

Also from these forums I have read that Weight Gainers are not the best way to up the calories because they often do not supply a good balance of clean nutrition in their effort to max the calories.

However, Meal Replacement Supplements are fine as they do a better job of balancing the nutrition and providing cleaner calories.

I also find the more often you visit JSF the easier it is to maintain motivation,. I have a huge problem keeping myself motivated but every time I drop by here I feel like running out and eating 4000 calories then Max-OTing a few dump trucks while gulping an All-the-Whey shake.

:)

Mahlon

16. mahloni

mahloni Well-Known Member

Try this tool to calculate your 1-rep Max:

http://www.thepumpingstation.com/1repmax.html

Once you have your 1-rep max it is relatively simple to find the weights you want for various reps. I see many routines giving weights to use as a percentage of your max weight.

I found it very helpful and good for repeat visits as you recalculate your 1-rep max throughout your training schedule.

More useful links to information and tools for beginners (and non-beginners) can be found here at JSF:

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=12811

Mahlon

17. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

There is a three-day split in the PDF, a M/W/F routine, in addition to the split you're talking about. It's on page 80, right before that one.

-------------------------
    Monday - Max-OT Back, Biceps, and Forearms
    The following is a very effective Max-OT routine that trains each muscle group once week over a three day period with a day off in between each workout.

The sets listed in the workout below do not include warm-up sets.

Cable Pull Downs 2 x 4 to 6
    Close Grip Pull Downs (using a V-Bar) 2 x 4 to 6
    Bent Over Rows 2 x 4 to 6
    Alternate Dumbbell Curls 2 x 4 to 6
    Straight Bar Curls 2 x 4 to 6
    Barbell Wrist Curls 1 x 8 to 10
    Dumbbell Wrist Curls 1 x 8 to 10

Wednesday - Max-OT Chest, Shoulder, and Triceps

Flat Barbell BPernecshs 3 x 4 to 6
    Incline Dumbbell Press 2 x 4 to 6
    Weighted Dips 1 x 4 to 6
    Straight Bar MiPlirteasrys (In front) 2 x 4 to 6
    Dumbbell Side Laterals 2 x6 to 8
    Barbell Shrugs 1 x 4 to 6
    Lying Tricep Press 2 x 4 to 6
    Tricep Cable Porwensss 2 x 4 to 6

Friday - Max-OT Legs, Calves, and Abs

Squats 3 x 4 to 6
    45 Degree Leg Press 2 x4 to 6
    Stiff Leg Dead Lift 2 x 6
    Standing Calf Raise 2 x 6 to 8
    45 Degree Calf Raises 1 x 6 to 8
    Weighted CablCrunchees 2 x 10 to 12
    Incline Crunches (weighted) 2 x 8 to 10

18. yp_panagGR

Thanks for the advice Mahloni, It helped quite a bit ;)

19. yp_panagGR

For Max-OT week 1-4 (day 3) is there any alternative excercise I can do that can replace the "deadlifts (these are powerliftting style deadlifts) "

20. glenn_001

glenn_001 Well-Known Member

Why would you want to do that? its one of the best exercises there is.
    It pretty much hits every muscle on the back side of your body, as well as your abs and forearms.:tu:

Glenn