1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here tried Max-OT?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by George Kaplin, Dec 31, 2005.

1. George Kaplin

George Kaplin Well-Known Member

I want to start bulking up and I've heard good things about this routine. Has anyone tried it? If so, what did you think?

2. 730d

730d Well-Known Member

I was going to post the same post but then thought about it and decided to search instead. But from what I read, yea its really good. I'm most probably going to begin my bulk following this program religiously. Any success stories from this program?

3. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

It's a good program. I noticed some nice strength gains. I did a cycle during a cut last year. Here is a thread with some before/after pics. Of course like anything, diet is just as important as exercise.

Good luck

Jason

4. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

my friend did it for cutting/bulking.
    he's been bulking for over a year now and he looks great.

i think im going to do it for my next bulk.

5. vatechguy

vatechguy Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ah.. the first true sign of a real JSFer..... you'll fit in nicely here. :D

6. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Did an OT stretch a couple of years ago... saw decent strength gains...

7. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

from just stretching?

8. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

har-har :doh:

9. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Way to go! Search and Google lets you obtain knowledge that allows you to ask questions of things you don't understand after you gained basic knowledge. Max-OT and its variations have been used by many members including John Stone. Most programs work, the better the documentation, the better you can follow it.

Success and failure depends on the person's application then the program. No one ever writes up or suggest a program that designed to fail, that is left up to the person.

A good program works for a cut or a bulk. Your diet is the key to success. It is unlikely you will achieve success in a cut or a bulk without a weight training program.

MAX-OT, HIT, Body for Life, are examples of programs that have detailed written instructions and a good success stories for those that apply the rules. Most things are covered well under the stickies you find at the start of forums and should be required reading by all.

10. 730d

730d Well-Known Member

;) I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible before I sign up to the gym in 2 weeks so i don't screw up!!

Anyway, I read in some old threads that MAX-OT isn't a recommended regiment for beginners or those coming back from a long break and that a few months on a generic 8-10 rep x 3 set program is best.

Is it really that bad to start straight up with this program or is it too extreme? What if I take it easy and do 6-8 reps instead? I really want to do this program but at the same time I do not want to injure myself.

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Their beginner program on www.ast-ss.com is a course designed to "get you ready for MAXOT" - it may be useful. But it is not necessary by any means.

I would not have a problem suggesting newbies use MAXOT. It's not prone to injury if you actually read the material and apply it properly. It's when you mistake "loose form" for "bad form" when you injure yourself. I saw guys in my gym thinking they were LaCour and hopping the barbell up on their first warmup set -- that is not how you do it!

Your first week or two will not be full-steam MAXOT anyway, as you will need to do testing of your max lifts, etc. It will take a good week at the least to get going 100%.

12. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Personally, i think Max ot is too taxing on the nervous system for newbies. Spend 4 weeks building up recovery levels with moderate loads so you can take full advantage of Max when you use it.

13. glenn_001

glenn_001 Well-Known Member

Not at all, you can only lift what your muscles are capable of, its not like your trying to lift the weights of an advanced trainer.
    experiment with reps, you may find 8 reps is better, i dont do max -ot but i work with a rep range between 4 - 8.

Glenn

14. aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1 Well-Known Member

I've started my routine as a beginner with MAX-OT and kept on doing it for about 8 months with very good results.
    However, since then I've changed my routine and I don't do it any more.
    The reason is that I started seeing my progress halting, and fely energy-less. All the signs looked like overtraining. Digging in the web I found suggestions that reaching failure in every set is too taxing for the body and for some people should not be done for a long period of time, especially when on a cutting diet (which I am).
    My suggestion to you: try MAX-OT by all means, and you will probably see good results with it. But keep your eye open for signs of over-training. If they appear, consider switching to another routine.

15. glenn_001

There is no need to change routines if progress halts, it just means your body needs more recovery time.

Glenn

16. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I was about to say that one could tweak the MAX-OT program when this situation arises by simply lowering the volume and/or frequency and/or taking a week or two off. I ran into this problem immediately with MAX-OT as I was coming from a high intensity style background to begin with (MAX-OT was actually looking rather high in volume to me as I was first reading the PDF). I cut those working sets down some and saw better results.

Still, cycling training styles has it's place. From what I recall Jones would tell you that there is never a need to do so if the recovery time is sufficient, but I don't know. I can experiment with some not-to-failure training and volume routines for some time and break out of plateaus successfully.

My trainer comes from a HIT background, working with (Ray) Mentzer at some point in his career and being a big believer in working hard, not long. Still, I was really struggling with arm size at one point, and having been running high intensity style training for years he had me try a radical approach for a few months, which gave me outstanding success - bi/tri supersets, twice-per-week arm training, and higher volume. I was a bit confused to see him suggest such a routine, knowing where he came from and what he always suggested for me to do, but I trusted his expertise and it paid off.

My point is that sometimes change can be a good thing, of course in my humble opinion. :)

17. glenn_001

Yeah your right, i just find some are too quick to change routines when just a slight tweak can fix the problem.
    i think a little bit of volume can be a good thing as long as there is enough recovery time, i dont fully believe in the 1 set theory.

Glenn

18. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Very, very true.

I do believe in the 1 set theory, in theory. I believe Mentzer was giving the general population too much credit if he thought this was something most of us could actually do. To get to that level, well it just takes something else.

19. Jon Skee

Jon Skee Well-Known Member

im wanting to do Max - OT tomorrow, ive had just over a weeks break and coming back into weight training tomorrow.

ive signed up to the website yesterday that was mentioned to learn how to do it, but i havent been approved yet :(

20. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Try this.