1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone dealt with "adrenal fatigue"?

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Hoss, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hoss

Hoss Well-Known Member

I've been having a lot of unexplained symptoms for the past few months that have made my workouts unpleasant. Not only my workouts, but general daily things (lightheaded/dizziness from sitting to standing). Trouble waking up. Trouble sleeping. Muscle weakness (makes it impossible to do a proper squat) -- sighing/yawning during workouts (not fun)

All of these symptoms point to "adrenal fatigue."

For a long time, I thought these were problems related to improper diet or improper workouts. I seem to have found the cause now. How I would have gotten it, I'm not sure. Perhaps from all that caffeine I drink.

I'm going to the doctor next week but I am prepared that he may not be able to help me out. It seems like most people emphasize "natural" ways of curing it.

Has anyone dealt with it? Prescription medicine to "cure" it in a timely manner?

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Very, very likely. How much caffeine are you taking in per day? The constant stimulation it provides may be squirting your adrenal glands dry.

I'd definetly ditch the caffeine for two to three weeks and monitor symptoms before introducing any other chemical solution.

3. Hoss

Hoss Well-Known Member

I've been drinking caffeine daily since a child :nono:

I would usually get up to 200mg's per day. Sometimes more. Coffee, diet soda, pure caffeine.

Haven't had any this week.:drool:

4. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Try this thread....
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=29956

This as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoadrenia

I would actually suggest a naturopath (ND) first, but if that isn't covered in a health plan, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

The only reason why I mention ND first is that if it's adrenal fatigue from overstimulation (too much caffeine over a long period)....then the solution is simple but the recovery can take time. It doesn't require any medicines per se but they can help with some natural remedies to help get the liver and thyroid going at 100% again.

#4 Gordo, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  5. Hoss

Hoss Well-Known Member

From the reading I did the only "remedies" I saw were "natural."

How long am I looking at with no prescriptions?

This got in the way of my initial routine in January and I pushed through it. But now I'm about to get ready for the summer after a months time off. Although I've been trying to get back into my routine, the symptoms continue to worsen.

6. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

At 6'1 150....you're pretty skinny. Fairly young too for something like this. How do you know it's adrenal fatigue and not compromised nutrition? Self diagnosis rarely pans out.

Length of time for recovery is hard to say. From my personal experience with this type of thing It took quite a while to feel right again (and still not really 100%). It's harder when you're older.

Definitely talk to some sort of medical professional. Without a few tests (including thyroid output) no one can tell you for sure.

7. Hoss

Hoss Well-Known Member

It could have been from the beginning (way last year) when I was eating too little. Although, I have had it since memory can remember, 2004; before I was into fitness.

Someone mentioned Adrenal Fatigue/Burnout & when I looked up the symptoms, I was able to relate to nearly every single one:

# Morning fatigue -- You don't really seem to "wake up" until 10 a.m., even if you've been awake since 7 a.m.
    # Afternoon "low" (feelings of sleepiness or clouded thinking) from 2 to 4 p.m.
    # Burst of energy at 6 p.m. -- You finally feel better from your afternoon lull.
    # Sleepiness at 9 to 10 p.m. -- However, you resist going to sleep.
    # "Second wind" at 11 p.m. that lasts until about 1 a.m., when you finally go to sleep.
    # Mild depression
    # Lack of energy
    # Muscular weakness
    # Increased allergies
    # Lightheadedness when getting up from a sitting or laying down position- Happens all the time and has brought me to the floor numerous times.
    # Frequent sighing -- GETS extremely annoying/frequent during workout.

I'm seeing my regular doctor next week about it. Not expecting much, though.

8. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

What is your calorie intake each day, as well as workout routine. It could be as simple as too few calories. Have you tried to increase for more than a couple of days?

I have dealt with this, but it was due to Celiac. It took 11 years to get the diagnosis (this past Jan) and now that I follow a gluten, soy, dairy, free diet and take B Complex, I am starting to see improvement after four months. I still have days where I am tired for no reason and nights that I don't sleep at all.

It is hard to lift weights when the thought of carrying your gym bag wears you out. I know, I fought at it for 3 years.

Kat.

9. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

10. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Have you thought of eating? I don't mean for that to sound like a snarky comment, but maybe you could try a caloric surplus for a while. Could be a nutrition thing.