1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

--> Hard Drive Failure - Please Read <--

Discussion in 'Technical' started by John Stone, Feb 22, 2006.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

IMPORTANT NOTICE

At approximately 5:53 PM EST on Wednesday, February 22, 2006, we suffered a hard drive failure on our main database server. I do regular data backups and have duplicate hardware on standby for times such as these. The server was quickly repaired and the backup was restored within hours of the failure.

Unfortunately all posts, changes to existing accounts and new user registrations made after early Tuesday morning (February 21) were lost in the crash. If you created a new account between approximately 7:00 AM EST on Tuesday and 5:53 PM EST on Wednesday, then you will need to re-register.

I fully understand that losing even 36 hours worth of posts is quite a inconvenience. I sincerely apologize for any problems this data loss has caused our members. Believe me, I share your stress, but I am also thankful that we were able to get back up and running fairly quickly and with a relatively small amount of data loss. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

2. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

That sucks but you did seem to recover quite quickly :tu:

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I had no idea what to do with myself or where to navigate. That was fixed quick though! Good work, John! You're on the ball with the back-ups and extra hard-drives too -- great planning.

4. ekomomai

ekomomai Well-Known Member

John, did your rapid response to this crisis earn your reinstatement as Administrator from being 'on parole'? ;)

5. jwdiho

jwdiho Well-Known Member

YOU apologize, John?! :eek: :nono: ;)

How many people owe you their new bodies and healthy lifestyles? All for the voluntary contributions of members and a few sponsors. Your extreme dedication to this site is incredible sometimes.

I apologize for not contributing earlier. Check's in the mail! :tu:

6. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, withdrawel had really set in... But thank goodness I got my fix before going to sleep tonight. Plus I think my new avatar is gone... I really thought it sucked anyway...:lol:

7. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Well-Known Member

Well, I for one had been suffering mild panic attacks and elevated heart rate when i realised that JSF was down!!!

It's all good tho, the elevated heart rate probably helped burn an extra few calories........so, John in a way you've helped me burn even more fat today!!! hehe :D :cool: :tu:

Cheers

Seb

8. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

We need to take up a collection for a hot swappable RAID box!

9. vatechguy

vatechguy Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/payments.php ;)

Stupid server would choose the day I update my journal for the first time in 3 months to crash.... *grumbles... * stupid harware.... *Thanks John you rule.

10. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Thank you guys very much!

Also, a huge thanks must go to the supporters - your money helped pay for the duplicate hardware that I have on standby at all times. The downtime would have been much longer without that hardware in place and ready to go.

RAID is definitely something I need to consider. That was the first thing that went through my mind when this happened.

11. Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Raid has saved my sanity more times than i care to mention. I will not work on anything that hasnt got Raid or access to somewhere that i can shadow to. I have been burned far too many times in the past.

I suspect that indicates that the components i work with having a much higher failure rate. Or that i keep mucking things up :(
    Wilders

#11 Wilderbeast, Feb 23, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  12. johnyboy

johnyboy Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say thanks for getting the site back up and running so quickly.

I've got round to making a donation now. Just sorry it took so long.