1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Monster's Holistic path of Healing

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Happy Monster, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

On the 29th July I started something which I believe is going to change my life. Some time ago I accidently stumbled across the first of 4 episodes of a programme called Sex, Lies & Hypnosis on TV. The programme although done in a flashy way dealt with couples with relationship difficulties through the use of Hypnosis by a trained hypnotherapist. Out of the 4 couples: one split up because the man only did one session (out of a 12 week programme). The second couple were by the end taking a break from each other, but taking things one step at a time (in my opinion because the woman was fighting the process and self-destructive). Luckily the remaining 2 couples worked through some very real issues in their pasts and were by the end much healthier and their problems and issues were eased considerably.

I've always been skeptical about hypnosis in terms of self-help, but I was impressed with the effects on the television programme so went and had a look at a few books on Hypnosis to read more about it. While looking though various books I found (to my surprise) a book by the same hypnotherapist whom I saw and liked in the TV programme. The book comes with a 6 track CD and is meant to be read in short stages and moves from identifiying your goals, to finding achievable success habits which will make the goal happen, to actualy doing them. The book also features different ways of working: with practical activities, visual work via reading and auditory methods via listening to the audio tracks (as hypnosis) when prompted. So tactile, visual and audio stimulus are utilised as the book explains..

I have now identified my first (and easiest) goal, and completed one programme towards a relatively modest goal of being more involved with Yoga. (You attempt the easiest of your goals first to build confidence and to get used to the programme). Working an hour or so a day after work I did this with hypnosis each day in just over a week.

After the first day of reading, writing and listening I noticed a subtle but real change.. I suddenly felt much more positive and confident and the strange thing is that asthe first audio track said I heard the suggestions, mentally accepted them if I trusted them (I was aware of this process), but when I 'woke up' I couldn't remember a single suggestion (as the audio track suggested). Now my memory is bad, but not that bad.

For the next few days I was walking around looking people confidently in the eye and starting to feel more positive about the future then I have for a long time.

After a few more days (and further into the programme) I felt my confidence drop somewhat (although still higher and having a different feel than prior to the programme), and for a few days I was aware of a deep and a very real, very severe anger I was feeling towards everyone and everything. I think this is anger I was now feeling safe to express that I was not allowing to come to the surface for many years. Now I felt stronger and more confident I felt that I could express things I had blocked previously. This week I have felt better again, more focussed on tasks which get me towards my goal. In fact I have never felt more focussed and determined to do tasks which will help me arrive at my goal. It's really a strange (but not disturbing change), and things I have read in the book and the audio tracks are happening. It's a subtle thing in some ways, but in others a definate and observable change. As the hypnosis track suggested that I would start to imagine my future self doing my goal (More focussed Yoga), so I dreamt about doing Yoga in a positive way last night. Yet in the previous 10 months I've done Yoga I cannot remember one dream about it. My thinking has been much more positive and my fears lessened as well.

I am aware of the temporary buzz you get from starting something like this and then having that disappear and falling back into old ways. But with the help (and specific suggestions) in the book and tracks, I am now feeling much more aware of how my mind can try to defeat me, and I feel that after over a week with these changes still happening, this is a very real change.

I am also feeling much stronger and more secure since I've started this programme. So, my plan is to carry on using 3 of the tracks (which are specifically made to be used any time as long as only one is done per day), one every day for the next 3 weeks until my habits become unconsious and automatic, and work to get me towards my goal. Then I will start my next (and slightly harder goal) by working through the programme again, etc.. Each step I will advance and change in more dramatic ways as I become stronger, more confident and more able to change.

So, every day I will combine the hypnosis, with going to the Gym/Yoga (monday-friday) which are part of my success habits to achieve my increased Yoga goal. Posting in this blog after every gym/yoga trip is also one of my success habits, so this will be updated regularly.

This post might sound strange, scary and surprising, and I am sure some people are and will be skeptical. But if you are, don't bother posting any negative comments, they will not help me in anyway and I will ignore them. After over a week of this programme, and after still seeing ongoing positive and real changes in my thinking, feelings and behaviour I now believe this programme can in a very real way change my life. I am already a different person and maybe in the words used in this post you can feel the difference as well!

In combination with Yoga which I feel is enormously helpful to me (hence the first goal being to do it more and regularly), I feel I am on a holistic path of healing. :nod:

I would be happy to answer any questions about this process, if people are interested. Thank you all for your support and care! :)

#1 Happy Monster, Aug 7, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

That's a wonderful new avenue of treatment to explore, Happy Monster.
    Hypnosis is a proven technique and not at all hocus pocusy, I think it has a lot in common with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

I've bought a few self hypnosis CD's too and I think they've reinforced in me a positive and rational way of looking at food. If anything I can become very very relaxed and open my mind's eye to it's own imagination. There are a couple that I have that are like little journeys, such as walking in the woods, you can really get into it.

I believe what you've got there is going to be of help, just as you suspect, particularly because yoga is of interest :)

Look forward to hearing how things go along, and best wishes :tu:

3. Happy Monster

Thank you for your support and best wishes. :)

4. Happy Monster

Gym again today and I went up in the row, did more reps with the shoulder turn exercise and went up in the stretch with weights exercise. I don't know the names for these. :lol:

I also wanted to see the gym instructor whom I saw last Wednesday. She only works part-time at my Gym, so I've not seen her since then. She was fun to talk with and I liked her. ;) So, I wanted to see her again to see if my opinion had changed, but she still seemed nice.

So, plucking up all my courage I went to talk to her after my workout and said (roughly typing from memory here..):

"Before I leave, and this is probably a silly question, but I enjoyed talking with you last week. Would you like to go out for a drink at the weekend?"

She smiled and said "Actually I'm working at the weekend. I work all the time." I thought 'That's a No' then.. And she then said "But it's very nice of you to ask, what I'd do is next time I'll give you my number. So come and see me next time I'm here and we can chat (?)"

I think that's what she said.. I'm pretty sure she offered to give me her number next time she's here, but I was already thinking of a No after she first said about working, so I'm not sure I heard her correctly. :p

I'm going to take this 'offer' as a positive and good sign. If I misheard or she was just being polite then I will shrug and still be friendly. There are other women out there if that is the case.

So, I'll go with the flow and see what happens next week.. :nod:

5. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

sweet how one positive change helped open the path for other good things to happen in your life.

beats the hell out of the people you see who take one negative thing happening in their life and let it negatively effect their entire being.

bravo for you! :tucool:

6. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Happy, though i do confess to being a little skeptical about hypnosis, I am by no means closed. I have not looked into it thouroughly so cannot make any judgement. Here, through your journal, will give me a good opportunity to learn more about it. In any case i can FEEL its helping you, which is awesome. I think its important to remain open minded and try new things in life, so of course i wish you success along this path :)

7. Happy Monster

Thanks Dejavued!

Jedi: I appreciate the fact that you are keeping a open mind about this. It's still early days with this, and I do hope to document some of the changes I feel occuring as time goes by..

Today I went to Yoga & Pilates, but couldn't really relax or focus. I've been busy walking around all day at work and then rushing to eat, iron, listen to the hypnosis track and then go to Yoga and I think that was all a bit too much. Next time I will listen to the hypnosis track after Yoga or at least a few hours before going to the class, rather than straight away.

I feel I need some time to let it settle in my mind. So, yoga wasn't too great today. But not to worry, I'm sure next week will be good again. I'm pretty tired, but the weekend starts tomorrow evening. :spaz:

8. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Hi HappyMonster!

I think it's great(!) that you're focussing on your goals and feeling more in tune with things (or more aware if you will) around you. Sometimes we need something to open our eyes and clear the foggy path so we can start following it.
    Could you explain more please about the hypnosis part of your program? Sofar it sounds like a self help book. I'll have to be honest with you im all against hypnosis for myself, but am interested in how it works. :)
    That being said, I hope you achieve all your goals! Good luck with everything. :gl:

9. Happy Monster

eleonardo: I'm going to bed soon, so I will reply to your request tomorrow when I can write a proper post. :)

10. eleonardo

Sounds good to me. I'll have something interesting to read at work ;)

edit: sleep tight!

11. Happy Monster

Quickly, since I'm leaving for work:

In light of the fact that it deals with helping people, it could be called a self-help book. But I don't see that is a negative thing if it works! ;)

The programme is in 3 stages for each goal, firstly to build up confidence and believe that the person can change and this will work. Secondly to increase motivation for wanting to change and identifying mental tricks we use to avoid doing so. Thirdly for becoming focused on doing identified 'success' habits to acheive the goal.

For example, someone might want to lose weight. The first step would be to pick a realistic and acheiveable target loss, such as 40 pounds in 20 weeks time. Then identify habits, eating more healthily, exercise 2-3 times a week and then make them part of the programme so they become unconscious and things you want to do.

Ok, I'm out of time, we can talk about this some more tonight.. :nod:

12. eleonardo

Nothing wrong with self-help books. I was just wondering how this differed form the 'typical' self help books. This is why I asked what the hypnosis part has to do with it.
    Mental tricks? Like? I love mental tricks :)

13. Happy Monster

From what I have experienced so far, and from what I have read; Hypnosis is a deep state of relaxation where a person has focussed attention. This could be on words, or images (both visual and mental). So for example if you go to a cinema and see a great film, you might well not be aware of other people around you or anything at all apart from the film itself. This is a state of hypnosis.

When listening to the hypnosis tracks the book takes pains to explain that because your conscious mind is listening to each track it filters what is accepted or not before it reaches the unconscious mind. In this way only positive things or suggestions the person agrees with are accepted. This is in contrast to when people say things and you aren't paying attention, in which case negative suggestions can also slip in.

The book and audio tracks are more of a form of hypnotherapy than hypnosis. In that they are designed to help people out of emotional problems caused by thoughts and emotions held in the unconscious (like childhood events) that are not being let go off by the unconscious mind.

The book describes habits that are part of the mind games we play, such as thinking you are too busy, thinking something has to be done perfectly, Not wanting to do something that you think is selfish, thinking taking a day off from any kind of programme means we might as well give up.

The book treats these as learned habits then can be changed in the unconscious mind.

I'm starting to become aware of times I try to talk myself out of doing things, or be negative to self-sabotage. It's a strange feeling, it heavily reminds me of the scene in The Matrix when Neo is first riding in the car with Trinity and some of the others and is unsure about what he is doing. The car is stopped and he is told to get out. He is about to go when Trinity tells him that 'you know that road, you know exactly where it goes'. To me, I feel like I'm learning that negative road now, and I see no kind of future there unless I make an effort to change and get the life I want.

I might have known that in an intellectual level, but now I know it in my gut too, which is a little disconcerting as well!

I'm not going to pretend that I've changed overnight, or am suddenly perfectly happy. My confidence and moods go up and down and sometimes I'm feeling negative about this, but I know this is my mind at work rather than I true state of affairs. I am stronger for this, rather than obsessing about talking to the girl at the Gym again, or dwelling on the negative problems of Yoga not going too well yesterday, I now am going to go with the flow and see what happens with the girl and with Yoga. I know it's likely that my Yoga will be great next week and maybe chatting with the girl will be too.

I have changed, and yes, it is scary! But exciting too.. :nod:

I'll post again after I visit the Gym for my shoulder/hamstring workout. :)

14. Happy Monster

Today is a perfect example of how the mind can hinder you. I was tired yesterday so went to bed early. Despite an extra 40 mins sleep I still felt tired today and I was just not in the mood today for work. The afternoon dragged and I was just really fed up and tired. Getting home on the buses was very hot because it's been warm and sunny, the traffic was busy and I had 15 year old girls playing loud R&B songs on their mobiles around me..

Suffice to say, when I got in I was feeling like going to bed, ignoring all the things I should do and was in a angry, down mood. However, I recognised the repeated thoughts to 'have a rest' as being the product not of the situation, but of a self-destructive bad habit. So, I told myself I would feel better after eating some food, chilling out for an hour or so, and surfing the net, listening to my hypnotherapy track and posting here. I did all that and did indeed feel better. So I went to the Gym feeling more awake and in a much better mood, and after I finished I felt great and happy and very awake.

So, the question is, was I really that tired? No.. it was my unconscious mind trying to get me to fail because it's used to not pushing so hard and giving up when things get too difficult.

I'm now more aware of things, and can counter them in the way described above. So I got my hypnotherapy track done, my gym done and two big blog posts here, despite wanting to ignore everything earlier and just do nothing all evening..

:guitar:

15. Happy Monster

As for the Gym:

I went up on the row, though couldn't do 15 reps on the last set. My arms get fatigued at this weight more than my back it seems.

Stayed on the same weight for the shoulder turn movement, but actually did less reps than last time. I'm weaker on my left shoulder than my right.. I'll see if I can improve on Monday.

Lying shoulder stretch was the same weight, and I feel that quite a bit in my chest.

Did another 3 sets of 60 reps of the hamstring stretches. Pretty boring, but perservered. Felt more free at the end and could almost get my right leg straight when vertical. Did a standing bend afterwards and with my legs straight I could touch the top of my ankles with my fingertips. That is definately better than a few years ago before I did any exercise, so something is helping!

I think these exercises are helping a bit, I will see over the next few weeks. My new Yoga class starts at the beginning of September, so hope I gain a bit more flexibility for that as I know it will be very challenging. ;)

16. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    60 reps? :confused:

17. Happy Monster

They are hamstring stretches with no weight and the stretch part only being held for 1-2 seconds. It's based on info from this page (inspired by natural movement in animals!) But if it works..

http://www.goanimal.com/newsletters/2004/string_theory/string_theory.html

18. eleonardo

Happy,

thanks for your extensive explanation! It was both interesting and fun to read.
    Having a nap. I've never thought of it as a destructive habit. I do that quite a lot. :( Today actually was more of a KO when I laid on bed.

19. Happy Monster

I don't think that's destructive unless it becomes an excuse not to do something, or a habit that is an occasional obstacle when you also want to go out or do things after work..

20. Happy Monster

Sunny again today here! I went into the city centre this morning and bought some new socks and underwear. I've had 3 old pairs of socks which have worn holes in the toe in the last 2 weeks! This is despite my nails being cut and smooth edged. The all day walking for my work, then 40 min walk to the Gym and back every weekday in the evening has taken its toll on already fraying cotton! :lol:

I've also thrown away some old socks and underwear I didn't like anymore and never wore. The new socks and underwear are better in my opinion and will also work towards a future relationship goal in that I will look better.. ;)

But one goal at a time for now so I don't confuse myself! Having said that, after next week I'm starting on my next goal as the Yoga one is not really a definate goal (i.e. like losing x pounds of weight, getting a new job). The goal should really be like that, but mine is a bit ongoing, so not the best choice by me. Still, I was learning the process, the next goal and the programme to achieve it will be better as I learnt from the experience. I'll give it another week to sink in, and then onwards!