1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Had my first workout today. Sooooo tired

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Blinkbear, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

And not necessarily in the good way. I went to sleep at about 10:30 last night and got up today at 7 to hit the gym.

Now it wasn't exactly a very intense session, more or less just getting myself acclimated with the equpiment again.

I did 3 sets of 12, 10, 8 reps respectively while incrasing weight of bicep curls, seated rows, dumbbell tricep extensions, dumbell press, and military press.

Now I know i can do better than this, I have before. but this was just getting myself back in the groove of things. I am a bit sore though, no deabilitating or anything.

I went back home and had a bowl of cereal (trix, the only cereal in the apartment) and an apple. i'm not concerned about diet immediately...one thing at a time so I don't get overwhelmed and quit liek I have in the past.

Now it's about an hour and a half or so afterwards and I am just soo tired. I can hardly stay awake. I function better than this on days where I only get 4 hours of sleep. What's going on? is this normal? Is it what I ate or what I didn't eat?

2. mcfc98

mcfc98 Well-Known Member

I think yoiu need to eat more if I'm not mistaken.

3. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Did you eat before working out (1hour before)?? You definately should be eating prior to lifting. After you lift, you need to feed your body big time. Most of us drink shakes with dextrose and whey. After you lift, you want to get your insulin really high so you muscle cells will draw in sugar and protein for glycogen replenishment and repair of tissue/construction. Then eating again 1.5-2hours after you lift with some good healthy carbs and protein. You will probably still be a bit tired, but watching what you consume and when you do it before and after your workout will help a ton.

4. Blinkbear

Hmm..this definteily is where i went wrong. What should I eat before workling out? Carbs?

5. BreakingPoint

BreakingPoint Well-Known Member

That's simple. It's not from the workout, it's from what you ate after the workout. You basically ate pure sugar and carbs with nothing to really slow it down apart from the protein in the milk (i'm assuming you had that?). Your blood sugar crashed. It's true that after a workout you need fast acting carbs (in some cases..) but most people get a good amount of protein too that helps slow it down.

6. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

I agree, Trix and milk is far from an appropriate meal to support weight training endeavors. Realize that nutrition is the BIGGEST key in changing one's body composition, and that weights are only the stimulus to get that change started. It's what you eat/do not eat that really matters. Honestly, if you aren't constructing your diet now to have an intelligent layout that supports your gym efforts, I wouldn't even bother going to the gym. You mentioned "one thing at a time", well nutrition/weights go together and there really is no seperating them. If anything, get the DIET part situated first, then add in the weights. Proceed in the order of importance.

That's just my opinion.

~SC~

7. Blinkbear

Thanks! That's what i initially thought had happened was that I crashed from what i ate. the sugar from the apple and of course the cereal.

It was just extraordinairly hard staying awake in class today after having done that. Perfect example of how important diet is and believe me, lesson learned. It won't be happening again

8. Blinkbear

Yes, i'm very aware the diet is pretty much the single most important factor in this. But liek I said, I've tried just jumping into the diet and excersize thing beefore and just got drowned out with it. It completely overwhelmed me and unfortunately i just gave up on it.

I don't want that to happen again so I'm just for now focusing on the working out part. Then i will work in the diet once I get comfortable in the gym again. Should i do it the other way around? Diet and THEN working out?

But believe me, i don't plan on eating Cereal and an apple for breakfast everyday. I know that's just stupid. To be honest it was the first time I've eaten breakfast in MONTHS cuz I usually skip it. It was just something that I could have quick and get to class. I would've had longer to make something like eggs and whatnot but I had to help my g/f take her car to the shop so it could get fixed today, so that cramped my schedule a little. I could've gotten up earlier but that was my mistake.

But ya, i guess at this point it makes me feel better knowing i'm doing something rather than nothing at all.

But obviously I'm no expert on anything so I pretty much take anything you guys (1fastgtx, swole, john, etc..) say as gospel.

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

It wasn't the apple that was to blame here for the crash...

A move in the right direction however would be to have the apple at least 30 minutes before working out. As said above, get you some protein in at least after working out. I'd say at a minimum 20 g, although I'd rather see at least 2x that.

10. dluc

dluc Active Member

If you could only choose one at a time, I would suggest diet - mainly because learning and applying proper nutrition will help you make the most out of your weight training and should improve your general health, whereas strictly weight training while consuming whatever food is available is probably not as beneficial to you.

11. TheChop

TheChop Well-Known Member

Everybody has different ways of doing things and it took me quite a few tries to get a plan going and get my transformation on track but I'd be hesitant of leaving diet for later. It's cool if you give yourself a week to get acclimated to the gym and get the DOMS out of the way but I would make a commitment to a plan that gave you a week to do that and then plan on adding diet the next week.

The way I look at it if you're going to do this you're going to do it and if you're going to quit you're going to quit. Don't ease into it because the more things you have going on the easier it is to keep momentum going. If you miss the morning cardio then you have the clean breakfast, if you eat fast food at lunch you have your afternoon lift session, etc. It was very beneficial to me when I started to go all in. I took a week to get into the swing of things and experiment with both diet and stuff at the gym. Then I had a plan and went with it. If I slipped there was alway always something coming up where I could get back on track even if it was something as simple as my morning progress picture.

12. Blinkbear

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help. Every little bit helps. This morning my chest and my arms hurt so bad it's awesome. I miss this feeling alot that I used to get back when I lifted relatively regularly.

This morning for breakfast I had an apple with *drumroll* a chicken breast haha...good breakfast, eh? lol better than trix anyways. Now hopefully i won't die in class like I practically did yesterday.

I layed out the chicken breasts athat I bought, on a pan seasoned then baked them so I could just put them all in the fridge and nuke them when I wanted one. Convenient for me i suppose

One more thing, I HATE cottage cheese. Is there a way to make it taste better? I bought some and ate it last night before going to bed like a good boy but I practically had to choke it down. Yick!

13. TheChop

TheChop Well-Known Member

Why would you need to eat cottage cheese? Another thing that will really screw you is if you don't find things that you like to eat. I love chicken breasts and that's practically all I eat. There's plenty of other ways to get the nutrients in cottage cheese. So if you don't like cottage cheese don't eat it.

14. Blinkbear

Everyone here seems to swear by it before bed since it's a slow digesting protein. Figured I'd give it a try...maybe even get used to it. I hated Beer and then got used to that taste, hehe.

15. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I make my cottage cheese a sweet treat. For a cup, I'll use 3 or 4 packs of splenda, a teaspoon or so of cinnamon, and a healthy fat of some type (generally either flax seed oil or natural peanut butter). I'll often mix in some of the sugar free calorie free syrups that you use for coffee. Vanilla, chocolate, caramel, etc.

If you don't like the consistency, blend it in a blender.

But you don't HAVE to eat it. Meat also takes awhile to digest overnight.

16. BreakingPoint

Cottage cheese tastes good with splenda mixed in. But I stopped using CC a while ago, I now just eat egg whites + natural peanut butter before bed.

17. Blinkbear

wow

What did I do to myself the other day? My pecs/chest and triceps still feel like they're going to rip right off my body when I move. I'm trying to stay stretched out the best I can but I keep tightening back up just as fast.
    I'm drinking water by the gallons practically to stay hydrated.

I think I may have went into it too heavy or something. I was using the weights that I last remembered I could do. Since then I'm sure I'd loss some muscle. But I wanted to try it anyway. It was a bit tough but I jsut pushed it the best I could to failure.

It feels good but at the same time hurts like a son of a gun.

18. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

That's just newbie soreness. As your muscles get used to the stress they're being put under, the DOMS will lessen greatly after workouts.

When I first started doing legs, I felt like I was a 90 year old walking up and down steps for about a week. Now, I rarely get very sore at all.

19. BreakingPoint

Why do you think that?

20. Blinkbear

Because since then personal matters cuz me to go through a short "depression" where i lost about 15 lbs the wrong way ie. not eating.

I figure some muscle mass went with that.