1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Hack Squat Hammer Strength Machine

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by CharlesDance, Oct 18, 2012.

1. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

Hey guys.

I'm at a new gym now. I've discovered they have every thing I need... cept a standard Hack Squat machine (the one at a 45degree angle with the shoulder pads).

They have this Hammer Strength Hack squat machine instead, that looks like this: http://www.csmfitness.com/HammerStrength_GA/HackSquat_L.jpg

I've never used this kind before, so I was wondering if anyone's had any personal experience / opinions on this machine ?

One thing I noticed is that it sort of feels a tad more stressful on my knees than other things. Not sure why.. I'm making sure my foot positioning is in such a manner that when i'm "in the hole", my knees are not over extending out past my toes (they honestly don't even go as far as my toes).

If this machine doesn't work out, I may just start doing Leg press with feet low on the plate for more of a quad emphasis, or start doing single leg un-weighted squats in the smith with foot far forward or something.

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

That machine you linked us to actually is a 45 degree hack squat machine with shoulder pads. Don't know what other 45 degree hack machine you are referring to.

For hacks, I think it's best to place them last or in the middle of your leg workout. Your knees should be nice and warm before doing them. I'd also stay in the medium to high rep range with them. I've done them for 4-6 reps HEAVY as my first exercise and after several weeks my knees are crying out in rebellion. I don't do the heavy weight/low rep thing anymore with hacks.

Try doing 3-4 sets of leg extensions for 15-20 reps, followed by 3-4 sets of leg curls for 12-15 reps, then follow them with leg presses or hack squats for 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps. Use about 80% of your rep max on the leg presses or hacks (since your legs will be pre exhausted by then) and go through a full range of motion just shy of lock out at the top, then tell us how funny you were walking the day after this workout. :)

#2 mastover, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  3. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

Great post, Mastover! Thanks for the tips, I'll have to definitely try them.

Here's a youtube video for more of an accurate image of the machine I have at the gym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcodxM7oV2Q

4. craigjudah846

craigjudah846 Member

Thanks for sharing the video link.