1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Gyming for the first time

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by firestart345, Sep 26, 2008.

1. firestart345

firestart345 Active Member

Hey guys,
    First of all i'd just like to say this forums great! I've lurked here for quite a while waiting to build up the courage to the join the gym, which i did today! Heres a little info about me:
    I'm 16
    I'm male
    I'm roughly 5'11 tall
    I weigh 140ish pounds
    My Bf% is 12
    And im not very heavily built (especially compared to some of you guys and gals!)

I was led around the gym today, as i've never actually been in one before, and shown what machines do what. Eventually we got the good part, the weights room. Most of it i could handle with good posture and i was quite steady. However, some exercises i could barely do at all. For instance, when i tried out benchlifting (lifting just the 20kg bar), it didnt feel too heavy but i just couldnt push the bar up without it wobbling all over the place. I guess my query is whether this is because of my lack of muscle mass/ endurance, or whether its because its just a completely new exercise for me. Whatever the answer is, im still going to lift :).

Thanks for all your input,
    Jamie.

2. needachange

needachange Active Member

Don't fret. I think eveyone experiences that (at least I did) the first time they bench or do any exercise for the very first time. I remember the first time I benched in high school and the bar like you said was wobbling the whole way down and back up. Your body will learn and your stabalizer muscles will get stronger. Just keep at it, don't give up. Strength comes with time. We are all working to get stronger :flex:

3. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

You wouldn't expect to be a perfect driver your first day in the seat, and you shouldn't expect to be a perfect lifter your first time on the bench. You will improve rapidly as you learn and adapt. Congratulations on taking the most important step to fitness; the first!

4. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

Welcome to JSF!

I know exactly how you feel about going to the gym for the first time. I started going to my gym 3 weeks ago. I had not been in a gym for a long time and had to learn everything all over again.

After you get settled in, you will meet some people who you can possibly work out with. I don't feel comfortable trying to bench press by myself, so I make sure to work out with a buddy, someone to spot me.

Some exercises you may be fine doing alone, but it's always nice to have someone push you, or help you out.

:gl:

5. firestart345

Thanks everyone, thats given me a little more confidence. I thought since i was here i might aswell ask: were you all nervous the first time you started lifting for the first time? I just felt really selfconcious (sp?) when i was in there. Im going back on sunday and i'll let you know how it goes.

Jamie

6. needachange

Nervous, not really. But I did feel a little self concious seeing guys a 1/3 my size lifting double the weight I had on the bar :lol: That started to change though after a while once my strength started to go up.

Don't get cocky and try to lift more weight than you can handle, it's not a competition. Lift with good solid form and progress in weight. You will look more rediculous trying to lift too much with horrible form, possibly hurtung yourself.

7. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

It is important to remember that no one is there to judge you, they are there trying to better themselves. Any idiot who cares how much you are lifting is clearly self concious themselves, so don't fret it at all.

8. Quigzy

Quigzy Well-Known Member

Man, you're so lucky.

I wish I had come on here after my first time going around a gym. I wouldnt have wasted 6 months doing full body workouts that mainly consisted of sit-ups, Leg extensions and Bicep curls. If you start properly you will see huge increases in strength through a combination of getting the technique down and your muscles getting used to lifting.

Good luck!

9. firestart345

Okay thanks heaps to everyone who replied.
    I've been going to the gym for less than two weeks now, but i've already made some gains strengthwise and am about to start a new routine that should maximise these gains. If any of you fancies analysing the routine just post and i'll put it up!
    Thanks again,
    Jamie

10. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

You probably would do well to not be shy and just post the workout, let folks take a look. Unless it's a stock workout like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Starr or something like that, you can save yourself a lot of time. Even if it is a stock workout, sometimes your physiology or workout conditions may bring some suggestions that speed things up for you. It also helps others who see your post and the tweaking advice that follows when people reply. I'm pretty much happily locked in my routine yet still learn when I see a new workout posted and read the counterpoint that follows.

11. MixweLL

MixweLL Active Member

One thing to remember is to do the amount of weight that fits you. Don't feel discouraged because someone else smaller is doing more and don't worry about having a plssing contest with someone. Lift whatever you are comfortable with and in time you will see progress. :gl:

12. firestart345

Okay thanks for the advice MadeInNY and Doubleoqueso!

Heres the routine the guys at the gym told me should work:

Day1: Arms and Legs

Bicep Curl: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Tricep Extension: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Hammer Curl: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Pull down: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Leg press: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Leg extension: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Leg curl: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Swiss ball squats: 3 x 15 x 20kg

Day2: Chest and Core
    Flat bench: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Chest fly: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Incline dumbell press: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Pecdec: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Ab crunch: 4 x 25
    Back extension: 4 x 25

Day3: Back and Shoulders
    Frontal raise: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Deltoid raise: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Upright row: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Shoulder press: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Pull down: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Seated row: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    Shrugs: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM
    One arm row: 4 x 8 x 70% of 1RM

I think it looks pretty good, apart from being a bit vague on how much exact weight to use, but that should be easy to find out. What do you all think?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jamie

13. woyman

woyman Active Member

I'll save my advice for people with more experience to comment about your routine. But I think that's a great start.

The amount of weight you need to use can easily be measured and improved by bringing a pencil and notebook to the gym. It's always helpful, to also jot down how easy/difficult it was for you to complete certain sets at certain weights so can adjust for the next time you do them.

14. needachange

I'm no expert but in my opinion at 16 you should do 3 days a week full body routines. That could really benefit you at such a young age since your body will probably be able to recover quite well. Look into Rippetoes Starting Strength or Defranco's WSFSB routine. You will be in and out of the gym nice and quick with low volume high intesity workouts. Your routine seems to be mainly focused around single joint exersizes. Build a good foundation with compound movements and build up overall strength.

15. Primetime

Primetime Well-Known Member

Add squats and deadlifts. They are the 2 most important for size gains. Maybe even add some cleans. Straight bar curls and incline dumbell curls for bicept work. Close grip bench press and dips for tricept work.