1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Gym Membership.

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Lurker704, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Lurker704

Lurker704 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to join a gym, most likely the local 24 hour fitness, it's the cloest to me, well there is another local place but I'm not sure their rates. Question still applies to either I guess.

I've always worked out at home and I wanted to give the gym a try, I just can't get all my compound workouts done here at home. Well on the question.

I went and took a look at 24 hour fitness's website...

Enrollment Fee: $99
    Processing Fee: $79
    Ongoing monthly dues: $38.99

Are the enrollment fees and processing fees negotiable? In theory I'd like them to remove both. I'd like some input if I'm out of my mind or what? If not maybe I should wait until summer? I'm sure they will have their summer speicals.

Money really is not a HUGE issue, but I can think of a lot better ways to spend 178 dollars then those stupid fees. If it helps a friend or two may sign up with me, so I know those people work on commission....

2. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Those fees are OBSCENE. I've been a member to at least half a dozen different gyms and the most I've ever paid is like $10 (if that). Some of them pathetically list some enrollment cost and they all waive them. I would simply demand them to terminate both fees or charge you $9.99 or something. If one place says no, say you'll go to the other one.

They want YOUR business and YOUR money. Why do you have to pay them to give them more business? I assure you my company, once it finds a client willing to purchase our software services, does not then go and charge a $3k "enrollment fee". It's absolute bloody nonsense.

How could it take that long to process anyway? It would take two minutes to blast your info into the computer, so what else does that $178 get? Enrollment and processing is the assumed cost of business. I would hate myself if I paid either of them.

3. Couger

Couger Well-Known Member

Here in Charlotte NC - most of the fitness centers charge $25 a month and offer a free trial month to get you in the door. I dont think they are 24hrs though.

I am more the home workout type so i just bought a gym and work out in the garage. :bb:

4. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Wow Skoorb- don't know where you live but here even the YMCA is much more expensive than that. Lifetime Fitness here is $50 and up per month. Enrollment fees are often several hundred dollars.

I belong to Ballys, it's probably the cheapest here. I pay $17 a month. They dropped the enrollment fees when I asked. The gym isn't the fanciest or best kept but it has what I need.

Gyms do sales all the time and often wave the start-up costs. Just ask them to drop the start-ups. If you and they are willing- tell them you'll sign a multi-year deal

#4 Hort, Jun 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  5. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Holy crap! I thought YMCA was ghetto and charged little. I had a membership to one in Canada and it was...dingy, to say the least. It was ok, I guess, but it looked like it used to be awesome but hadn't received much money in a while. The best gym within miles of my house is Powerhouse and I was there a few weeks ago (I workout at home, but was interested in maybe working out some lunches). Costs were going to be $40/month with no signup fee--he waived it on the spot. This is a very nice, well equipped gym. No tanning or anything, but lots of cardio and a crapload of weights and machines.

6. StevieD

StevieD Well-Known Member

The way I always do this when I change gyms is to ask what the rates are if I PREPAY for one or two years. I do this because I know that I will use the gym for the whole period, so it may not be for you if you don't KNOW that you'll keep going.

Last time I did this, I paid a little less than $500 for two years (that's about $21/month average). That includes use of all of the gyms in the Austin area (about 6 I think).

After that, I pay $150/year to renew ($12/month).

If you are a consistent long-term gym patron, I've found that this can't be beat. I've never been unable to get a pretty good rate this way (I've used Gold's Gym, World Gym, and one or two other local gyms).

Of course, YMMV.

7. ebatch20

ebatch20 Well-Known Member

I guess it all depends on the gym and what they offer. I pay about $56 a month for LifeTime Fitness with a downpayment near $175. Though at the time I joined they had a special going on - which is one thing you can do - wait until your local gym has a discount or something. Also look to see if they have different kinds of membership. I know at my gym you can get a Fitness, Sports or family etc. All going up in price. My gym has clubs all over the chicago area.. but the closest one near me requires the Sports Membership which is about $12 more a month.

I don't think you will be able to talk them down in price - but you can ask when any special promotions are coming up and maybe wait for that.

8. vatechguy

vatechguy Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

CHARTLOTTE - WOOT! I new word was getting out about JSF!!! I work out at the Steele Creek Y - right up the street from my house. But I have a small garage setup also on those days when getting away from the house isn't in the cards.

Actually Peak fitness and Gold's Gym just paired up - they were offering a special not a couple weeks ago that was no joining fee and it was $240 / year if you paid up front.

$25 a month is about average - the YMCA charges you a $75 joining fee I think - but they usually have 2-3 membership drives per year and waive it during those.

Lurker704 -

Usually catching specials is the way to go - do they have a local sports rag where you are - often the gyms put in coupons for the fees in those to attract sports-minded folks to their gym! Unless you're in a serious urban area - $38 a month seems high to me - but don't listen to us spoiled east coasters. ;)

9. TaxiTodd

TaxiTodd Well-Known Member

Not to rub it in on anyone but I signed up for Bally's (then VicTanny's) back in 1990 for $990. I got thier top of the line membership (Pesidential?)for 3 years with a fee of $20 per year to renew after the first 3 years.
    As of July 2004 it cost me $54 per year to renew (Premier Plus). It has been going up about 10% per year to renew
    The people at Bally's are always willing to help out if you ask them. I brought a friend in to sign up and they waived all fees. She walked out with a midline membership for about $500 with dues of about $235 per year to renew.
    Ballys was running a promotion for refering new members so I got something like 4 or 6 months free which only comes out to about $30 for me, But could be worth alot more to someone with dues of $40 - $ 60 per month.

10. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Hey Todd-

I go to the Bally's in SunRay in St. Paul. That's cheap- I talked to the gym and I cannot get that low but the point is- the rates do go slow so get in now and save in the long run.

11. TaxiTodd

TaxiTodd Well-Known Member

I usally go to the Little Canada Location. At least once a week I go to the Midway or Sunray, sometimes Bloomington or Richfield.
    When it gets slow in the Taxi I will pop into which ever location I am closest to.
    Look for Green & White Taxi #206 in the Parking Lot.
    I just got my Statement for the next 12 months. It has gone up to $62 per year.

12. jlforbess

jlforbess Well-Known Member

When I was in Washington I joined 24 hour fitness and honesty it is the worst gym ever in terms of their employees. The "personal trainers" try to force you into a contract on your first visit and tell you that the waiver of fees are "only good for right now" Their customer service was just horrible among other things. Right now I'm a member of a local all women gym called Fitness Lady (50 per month, no joining fee) and I'm also a member of the local YMCA (45 per month, no joining fee)