1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Guys, everyone, please give me specific personalized help.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Python49, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Python49

Python49 Well-Known Member

One last question. Are there certain exercises in that guide which pertain to the problem I have? Arched back and rounded shoulders? While doing those exercises, would it be better to not do any other strength training exercises such as dumb bell curls? Military presses etc? I know that i've asked alot of questions but would really appreciate if alot of them were answered since i'm just learning here and its alot of information. Gotta run to class now though...

2. btimby

btimby Well-Known Member

Calorie deficit is when you take in less calories than you burn in a day. There are calculators online that can estimate how many calories you need given your body weight, age, and activity level. Below are some simple figures I found that got me started (I left in my calculations, I was 6'5" 250lbs, and am now 226lbs), and may help you do the same.

--
    macro nutrients: 40% protein, 40% carbohydrates, 20% unsat. fat.

you should drink body weight x .66 ounces for minimum daily water intake.

Cut: 10-13 cals per lb of bodyweight
    Maintain: 13-15 cals per lb of bodyweight
    Bulk: 15-18 cals per lb of bodyweight

250 lbs x 10 = 2500 calories per day.
    250 lbs x 2 = < 500 grams of protein.
    250 lbs x .66 = 165 ounces of water (1.2890625 US gallons).
    --

Keep reading the forums, and you will come across many ways of figuring this out for yourself, you can refine your goals etc. along the way.

Also, make sure you track what you eat in a spreadsheet, John has an example on his main site that you can use. I found this very useful for me, I have kept my spreadsheet up to date for the last 3 months or so, and it helps me know what is working for me, or not, and develop a list of "acceptable" foods and recipes.

I hope this helps.

3. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

Kino can explain the intracisies of posture better than I can. But, leaning forward would not correct the problem from my understanding. It is a combination of muscle strengths and weaknesses. By strengthening the weak muscles, and actively trying to correct your posture, you will correct your posture.

As for the diet, a calorie deficit simply means that you eat less than you need to stay at one weight.

Weight = 225 lbs
    Protein: 225 lbs x 1.0 = 225 g (900 cals)
    Carbs: 225 lbs x 1.0 = 225 g (900 cals)
    Fat: 225 lbs x 0.5 = 113 g (1017 cals)
    Total Cals/Day = (225 * 4) + (225 * 4) + (113 * 9) = 2817 cals

Every 5 to 10 lbs you lose, plug your weight back into those numbers above and it will recalculate how much to eat for you.

Protein = lean beef, fish, chicken, turkey, lean pork, cottage cheese, beans, workout shake
    Carbs = low-gi, high fiber foods: 100% whole wheat bread, grains, veggies, beans for example
    Fat = monounsaturated and polyunsaturated: almonds, extra virgin olive oil, flax, nuts, fish, oil based dressing

Make sure to eat 5-7 times per day (that's around 450 - 500 calories per meal). Try to get within 100 or so calories of the 2817 total. You can track your diet at Fit Day. Try to get protein with every meal, and limit your carbs after 4:00 pm. Avoid sugars and processed food as much as possible.

Max heart rate (mhr) = 220 - age

With your cardio, work your way up to 30 - 45 minutes of steady-state cardio at 60-70% of your mhr. Or, work your way up to 20 - 25 minutes of HIIT (alternating 60% mhr and 90% mhr).

Focus hard on the workout. Follow it perfectly and pay attention to your form. I would suggest taking front and profile shots every couple weeks to see how your posture is progressing. This will also help with showing fat loss progress.

Don't get discouraged and stick with it. The results will come! Once that posture is corrected, you can move on to more demanding workouts that will really kick the fat loss and muscle gain into gear.

What is your final goal for your weight and body fat? John is somewhere around 11-12% in those recent pictures.

4. btimby

btimby Well-Known Member

Sorry, forgot the most important thing :-).

1 gram of protein or carb = 4 calories.
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories.

Thus:

2500 calories =
    500 calories of fat (or 55.5 grams)
    and 1000 calories each of carbs and protein (or 250 grams)

Now, I hope THAT helps.

5. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

You will have to contact the people at that site. No one here has control over such things. Why not begin searching the net for more information and clearer pictures of the problem?

6. DeaCerte33

DeaCerte33 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you really read through everything and ran searches as you stated in your first post? Did you happen to search for "calorie deficit," "how much protein," or "whey shakes"? I'm sure you could probably find a lot of this information actually using the means available to you on this site. There are thousands of posts on those subjects alone.

Good luck losing the fat! :tucool:

7. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Once again, Great Article! Most importantly that it is posted on the T Mag site where the majority of it's readers really need this type of information. It's giving a pretty blanket type approach though, so it won't address the specifics per person. Stretching protocols should follow a continuum just like any other training. In this case, SMR(Self Myofascia Release or Foam Rolling), Static, Active, Dynamic. The first 4 weeks of training would consists of SMR/Static Stretching of the shortened muscles both before and after training. So for the original poster, it would be:

Warm-up 5-10 minutes cardio
    SMR: Illliopsoas
    SMR: Erector Spinae
    SMR: Latissimus Dorsi
    Static: Pec Wall variations
    Static: Latissimus Dorsi
    Static: Standing Psoas

Core Strengthening
    Core Stabilization

Workout

Cooldown The purpose of a Cooldown is to return the body to it's resting state.
    Repeat above SMR/Static after training.

This is a good a place as any for me to throw up this Overview of Optimal Performance Training.
    I'm not asking anybody to buy into this methodology of training, only to consider it's reasoning, and how a more integrated routine might affect ones overall results.

8. JMR

JMR Well-Known Member

When you view a profile of yourself, your shoulders should cover your upper back. If your shoulders are rounded forward then it will be obvious. It's very common especially among the bench pressing, curling only crowd that dominate most gyms. That's the problem. Everyone thinks it's normal now. :D

#28 JMR, Nov 23, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  9. Python49

Are these exercises/stretches that will help the arched back problem I have? if so i went to the previous link in "no more neanderthal" to look for these exercises in their descriptions. Are all the exercises in their workout play recommended for the arched back and rounded shoulders? If not, which ones specifically should i focus on. And while doing these work outs for 8-12weeks, can i not do any other work outs? Such as curls, bench press, squats, ect.. I wanted to start the work out plan as soon as possible. This seems to be a set back but im glad it was pointed out to me so that I can get it done.

My overall plan now for winter break is to follow the advice you guys have suggested for a diet and to cut first... and work on the exercises to straighten my back out. Then once thats taken care of i will change workout plans to bulk up. The hard part just seems to be finding the exact foods and combinations needed so i can meet my daily requirements for each day. I'll figure that out though.

10. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Yes...the SMR areas and the Static stretches I chose were based on what I saw in your posture. I'm not sure if this link will work through here, and if not I can email this to you. This is not pre-made page...This would be the corrective flexibilty portion of an IST(Integrated Stability Training) phase that will help to correct some of the problems you're experiencing. This is not a complete program, as progress would need to be monitored, and changes to your routine would be made accordingly. If you have had any feedback from a Doctor or PT in regards to your posture, it would only be in your best interest that I insist you print out the exercises above and present these for approval before proceeding.
    I would be happy to provide you or anybody else a complete personalized program(SMR, Static, Active, Dynamic) in this format, to address any flexibility issues.
    I would also be happy to provide a template of what a typical OPT session would look like if there is any interest as well.

Walt

#30 Kino, Nov 24, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  11. JMR

JMR Well-Known Member

I concur with Kino! Great stuff big guy!
    :tucool:

12. Python49

Yes, thanks alot for your help kino... it explains in detail everythign I need to do. One question though. Out of the list of exercises you gave.. I didnt see these on the list.. so i dont know how to do them. The others had pictures to explain.
    SMR: Illliopsoas
    Static: Standing Psoas
    Core Strengthening
    Core Stabilization

13. Python49

I also just noticed that these posts contradict each other...

First one suggests 2550 cals for cutting (10 x 225), the second sgugests 900 cals. John Stone's diet did around that...

14. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

I took each of the exercises that I suggested, and incorporated them into the program I linked too. The SMR/Static are the first exercises in their respective order on that sheet, and all of the exercises are listed in the order that they should be performed. The Core Strength would be the Floor Bridge, and Prone Cobra, and the Stabilization would be Alternating Arm/Leg. I'm really only skimming over the surface here, as functional flexibility is something that needs to worked towards acheiving, just like strength training.

15. Python49

dang, that link went down :(

16. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

They're upgrading their site format today...I'll check the program I put together for you and see if it's still intact, when the site comes back up. Worst case senario, I have to do it up for you again, which is no big deal.
    I'm going to be visiting out of state for the day, but will check in to see if the site comes back up from my mom's, and if so I'll make sure that the link above is pointing to your program.
    I've had Integrated Flexibility drilled into my head for the past 8 months. It's a good feeling being able to apply some of what I've learned to help somebody else.

17. vovo

vovo Well-Known Member

i didn't notice any contradiction in those posts, not too sure where you're confusion is from what i can see one gives you the calories and the seconf one gives you the macro breakdown to make up the total cals.

you don't wan't to go as low 900 calories (john admitted that he made a mistake when he went low on calories as he was not that knowledgeable on nutrition and i am sure that he said he would not go that low again)

2500 calories is about right,

although i suggest that you read the stickied thread at the top of fat loss forum or at least the first post as this will pretty much answer most of your questions on cutting nutrition

fat loss nutrition guide

~v

18. Python49

im thankful to have found this site, the great information ive been looking for. i cant wait to get home for winter break and start my training.