1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Guide to the Anabolic Diet

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Gorilla, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

The Anabolic wha???

The Anabolic Diet is a diet created by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale, a Canadian powerlifting champion and respected physician. The Anabolic Diet is also published as: The Anabolic Diet for Powerlifters, The Anabolic Diet for Bodybuilders and The Metabolic diet. All encompass the same lifestyle philosophies but are geared toward a different audience. Powerlifting and Bodybuilding including various phases for competitions and the Metabolic diet providing the research behind his theories for the general public. I highly recommend that those interested purchase the ebook and read it thoroughly as it contains alot of important info that I cannot cover fully here. The Anabolic diet on a basic level is a carb cycling diet. The purpose is to turn your body from that of a carbohydrate burning machine, into one that will efficiently burn fat for fuel. It is NOT a keto diet and not the same as the Atkins approach. The phases of the diet are as follows:

The Induction Phase:

The goal of this phase is to empty your body's store of glycogen and shift your metabolism to begin using fat for fuel. This period runs for a total of 12 days during which you should only consume 30 grams of carbs, preferably coming from vegetables rich in fiber (fiber grams can be subtracted from your total carb intake). The remainder of your calories should come from fat and protein. Fat should be at least 60% of your intake and should come from a variety of sources. I highly recommend not cutting any calories at this point if you are looking to lose weight. A calorie deficit during the induction phase will just make it unpleasant. Eat as much as you can and ensure you are getting plenty of fat! The doctor recommends multiplying your bodyweight by 18 to get the maintenance calories that you should consume during the induction. During this phase you will probably notice some fatigue and possibly headaches. After a few days this should subside. Most individuals notice a "crash" around day 8. You should rebound and begin to feel energy after this point, as your body has completely emptied its stores and has made its switch to fat burning. After the 12 days is complete, you are ready for your 24-48 hour carb load. However, its important to note how you feel. If you are completely wrecked, than you are allowed to bump up your carb by another 30 grams. The goal of the diet is to find your carbohydrate "set point" the minimum amount of carbohydrate that works for you. Its is preferable to give it time before you add more carbs, as it can take up to 4 weeks to completely switch to using fat for fuel. However, its up to you to judge how you feel. Many of the various approaches after the induction phase can be found in the book, and are important to understand.

Carb Load

The carb loading phase of this diet typically falls on a weekend, since in most cases, we are off from work and the weekend is a time we desire to be a bit looser in our diets. The theories behind this carb load, is that it refills your tanks to power you through your workouts, but more importantly, the rush of carbohydrates flooding your system will help carry the nutrients into your muscle, creating an Anabolic effect, hence the name. On these days, you are looking at keeping your carb intake at about 60% and your fat and protein on the lower end, with protein being the lowest, I believe 10-20%. Alot of people go crazy and just eat everything in sight. Its important to try and keep the carbs as clean as possible, at least in the first few hours, to avoid couch coma. You only consume carbs until you begin to feel bloated or notice your body getting soft. That is a good indicator to back off on your carb load for the day. When the 24-48 hours is up, then its back to only 30 grams of carbs a day as usual.

Pointers:

Ideally, you should not look at making any changes to your maintenance calories (adding or subtracting) until about 3-4 weeks in. This ensures you are fat adapted, and have worked out your carb set point. Its VERY important that you are strict with your carb intake, particularily during the induction phase. Many folks cheat a little or give up too soon and never see the benefits of the diet. It can be tough at first, but if you stick it out, you start to see and experience some interesting changes in your body! VERY important to read the book! This is only a guideline, the book itself not only goes through the science behind the diet, or as we like to call it, lifestyle, but it also puts forth reccomendations for proper supplementation, should you feel you are lacking in any vitamins or minerals. If you stay hydrated, each a ton of veggies , take a multi-vitamin and supplement with the proper fats, you should be ok. You may need to add a fiber supplement in the beginning as well. Now its also important to note, that even though fat is not bad for you, you still must be smart about your consumption. Its is never wise to eat too much of one kind of fat. The fun part of this diet, is that you can eat all the things you love: bacon, sausage, butter, cheese, etc, however, you would be wise to ensure that you are supplementing with fish/fish oil, flax, and consuming nuts and olive oil as a major part of your diet. It is also recommended that you get blood work prior to beginning the anabolic diet, and following up with another blood test 3-6 months later to see how your body is fairing, since everyone is different and it just makes sense to keep an eye on your health.

Types of foods allowed:

** I lifted this list from www.stronglifts.com, another good resource for info**

Red Meat. The bulk of your diet should consist of red meat. Red meat has protein & fat, both needed in the Anabolic Diet. Most feel better with steak. But there’s plenty to choose from.

1. Beef. Chuck is economical & has 20% fat.
    2. Pork. I’m not big a fan of Pork, however it’s good source of protein & fat.
    3. Lamb. Tender & flavored. Very fatty meat.
    4. Ground. I love hamburgers. Chuck & beef contain good amounts of fat.
    5. Dried Meats. Beef jerky, Bresaola, …
    6. Bacon. American Bacon, Streaky Bacon, Fresh Bacon, Pancetta,…
    7. Sausages. Chorizo, Pepporini, Merguez, …
    8. Salami. Corned Beef, Baloney, Calabrese, Soppressata, …
    9. Ham. Ardennes Ham, Jambon de Bayonne, Prosciutto, Prosciutto di Parma, Jamon Serrano, Jamon Iberico, …

Poultry
    . White meats are less fatty than red meats. Eat white meats for variety, but keep in mind that you need animal fat on the Anabolic Diet. Go for the darker meat (thighs/legs) & eat the skin.

10. Chicken. I like whole chicken: eating everything up to the bones.
    11. Turkey. Leaner than Chicken.
    12. Duck. Wild ducks are very fat.
    13. Goose. Less fatty than Duck, but fattier than Chicken.
    14. Ground Chicken. Hamburgers from Ground Chicken are good for a change.
    15. Ground Turkey.
    16. Fowl. Good source of protein, but lean meat.
    17. Pheasant. Same as fowl: good for protein, but low fat.

Fish
    . Fish are a good source of Omega 3. Omega 3 will help your testosterone levels & fat breakdown.

18. Anchovies. Rinse the salt of before using.
    19. Carp.
    20. Catfish.
    21. Herring.
    22. Mackerel.
    23. Salmon. Salmon Steaks, Smoked Salmon, …
    24. Sardines.

25. Sturgeon.
    26. Trout.
    27. Tuna. Try tuna steaks vs. tuna out of a can.

Shellfish

28. Crab.
    29. Lobster. Occasionally.
    30. Mussels. Steamed Mussels.
    31. Prawns. Grilled with a salad.
    32. Shrimps. Fry them in Olive Oil with garlic.
    33. Squid.
    34. Calamari. Fry in Olive Oil, serve with a salad.

Dairy
    . Eggs is your best source of protein & fat next to Red Meat. Eat them at breakfast. Cheese is High Protein/High Fat. Use it with your meat, eggs, veggies or as snack.

35. Eggs. Omelets, Scrambled eggs, Deviled Eggs, … Eat the yolk.
    36. Italian Cheese. Mozzarella, Provolone, Taleggio, Parmesan, Pecorino, Romano, Gorgonzola, …
    37. French Cheese. Brie, Camembert, Comte, Roquefort,…
    38. Swiss Cheese. Emmental, Gruyère, Raclette,…
    39. Dutch Cheese. Gouda, Edam, …
    40. Other cheese: Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Feta,…
    41. Heavy Whipping Cream. Has close to 40% fat. Use it in your coffee, with your veggies or in your post workout shake (only a few tablespoons!)

Fats
    . You’ll get plenty of saturated fat from the Red Meat, Eggs & Cheese. Balance with Omega 3 & Omega 9 fats for even better results.

42. Fish Oil. Liquid form or caps, great source of omega 3.
    43. Cod Liver Oil. Omega 3, vitamin A, vitamin D.
    44. Flax oil. Great with salads.
    45. Butter. I cook everything with olive oil. You can use butter for a change.
    46. Argan Oil. North African oil, I use it with salads & omelets (Omega 6).
    47. Olive Oil. Omega 9. Go for Extra Virgin Cold Pressing.

Nuts
    . Nuts are a good source of protein & fat. Careful of carb intake!

48. Almonds.
    49. Cashew.
    50. Hazelnuts.
    51. Pecans.
    52. Pine Nuts. Use them with Olive Oil for Pesto.
    53. Pistachio.
    54. Walnuts.

Veggies
    . All your meals should contain veggies. Veggies are healthy, contain fiber & vitamins, great to fill your stomach.

55. Asparagus.
    56. Avocado. Has fat.
    57. Brussels Sprouts. I like this with Olive Oil, Onions & Pepper Spice.
    58. Broccoli. Boil, then grill in the oven with Parmesan.
    59. Cauliflower.
    60. Cabbage. Green, white or red Cabbage. Add pieces of Bacon.
    61. Celery.
    62. Chicory. Ham, cheese & chicory. Put in the oven. Enjoy.
    63. Cucumbers.
    64. Eggplant.
    65. Garlic.
    66. Green Beans. Fry them with Onions.
    67. Lettuce. Green or red leaf.
    68. Mushrooms. All kinds.
    69. Olives. Black, green, red.
    70. Onions.
    71. Peppers. Bell Peppers, Red, Green, Yellow Peppers, Chili Peppers, …
    72. Pumpkin.
    73. Radish.
    74. Salad. Romaine, Iceberg, Spring Salad Mix, …
    75. Shallot.
    76. Spinach. Great with steak or with Eggs.
    77. Zucchini.

Fruits
    . Fruits contain carbs (fructose). From Monday to Friday eat high fiber/high water content fruits. Leave all other fruits for the weekend. Here’s what you can eat in the week:

78. Berries. Strawberries, Blueberries, Black Berries, Raspberries,…
    79. Watermelon. High Water content.

Flavorings
    . Give your food taste. Learn to cook with spices & herbs. You can use all of them as much as you want.

80. Vinegar. Add Balsemic Vingegar to your salads.
    81. Mayonnaise. Full fat kind. Eat it with your salads, steak, …
    82. Condiments. Mustard, Harissa, …
    83. Herbs. Oregano, Thyme, Basil, …
    84. Spices. Too many to list. I use lots of pepper & cumin.

Beverage
    . Keep the alcohol for the weekend. Most contain sugar

85. Water. A gallon a day min.
    86. Green Tea. Full of anti-oxidants.
    87. Diet Soda. I don’t drink soda, but if you do go for light/diet soda.

Supplements

88. Whey. I prefer meat to whey. If it makes your life easier, go for it.
    89. Flax Seeds. You need at least 20g of fiber a day. Buy flax seeds. Eat it with berries or with your salad.

Carbs
    . Saturday & Sunday are carb loading days. Keep it clean in the weekend, better to avoid couch coma.

90. Bread. Whole grain, Sandwich, …
    91. Cereal.
    92. Corn.
    93. Fruits. Banana, raisins, apples, oranges, …
    94. Honey. I like Honey with bread, oats, pancakes, …
    95. Milk. A classic.
    96. Oats. Try oats with peaces of apples & cinnamon in the microwave.
    97. Pancakes. Great at breakfast with honey or fruit.
    98. Pasta. Spaghetti, Tricolor, Cappellini, Cannelloni, Lasagna, …
    99. Peas.
    100. Potatoes. Sweet Potatoes, Yams, …
    101. Rice. Long grain, brown rice, Thai rice, …

As you can see, there is alot of variety here. You also get to enjoy plenty of yummy foods that you were once told were bad for you. This makes the Anabolic diet ideal for many folks, especially people like myself who tend to be heavy meat eaters and carb sensitive.

Handy Links

http://www.musclewithattitude.com/readTopicMwa.do?id=1644317
    www.stronglifts.com
    http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=658379
    http://www.metabolicdiet.com/

FAQ:

Can I use coconut oil or a MCT (medium chain triglyceride supplement)?

According to the good Dr, No. Here is a small section from his book:

"Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) also get a big thumb down for use with the
    Metabolic Diet. Very few foods actually contain MCTs, but you'll find some popular
    MCTsupplements out there, mostly derived from coconut oil. Many people in a
    higher-fat regimen are bullish on these products. They say, "It's fat, why can't we use
    it?" The fact is that MCTs bypass the whole energy pathway we're trying to establish
    with the Metabolic Diet and can be very counterproductive.
    Not that MCTs can't be helpful. They can be of great use on a diet high in complex
    carbs because of their protein sparing effects. But on the Metabolic Diet, the body
    ends up using the MCTs for energy instead of the long chain fatty acids that make up
    most body fat. As such, we end up bypassing the very metabolic goals the Metabolic
    Diet is set up to achieve: to burn its own fat and use those triglycerides as a primary
    energy source.
    The long chain triglycerides utilized in the Metabolic Diet also have several
    advantages over the MCTs. They have an even greater protein-sparing effect than the
    MCTs.301And along with decreasing the formation of body fat, they increase the
    amount of existing body fat broken down302and greatly decrease body fat levels."

A link for more info on MCT: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mct.html

Do I count fiber in my carb intake?

Nope! You always subtract the fiber content from your overall carb intake for the day. So if a cup of broccoli had 5 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber, it would only count as a total of 3 grams of carbs!

Phew! I think I got the basics down for now. I myself am just starting my journey down the Anabolic road, so please consider this a work in progress. Feel free to correct me on anything or add any info of your own. Questions are always welcome, and I will probably be adding a FAQ eventually. As always, be sure to consult your Doctor before undertaking any new diet or fitness plan. These guides are just that, a guide to help you make the right choices and they are not meant to replace common sense. Only YOU ultimately know what works for your own body and only YOU are ultimately responsible for your own health.

#1 Gorilla, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. George

George Senior Member

I did it for about a month while cutting. I kept a journal.

3. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

huh

what kind of diet is that? Never heard of it.

4. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

It's a fun one for me :eat:

Good intro

Basically it's a carb cycle diet. During normal days, you eat 30g of carbs net of fiber, about 60% fat, and at least 1g/lb of body weight in protein. On carb up days (1-2 days a week), you kind of reverse that and eat 60% carbs.

5. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Ideally you want to stay on the diet much longer in order to reap any benefit. Usually takes folks up to 4 weeks to become fully fat adapted.

6. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post, Gorilla! I'm thinking of giving the AD a shot starting after Christmas. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the book by Di Pasquale. Not even Amazon.de carries it, so I guess I'm out of luck there :(.

7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

They have ebooks on his site. They even have free abridged versions.

8. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

Cool thread.

I'm on day 7 of the induction and i think a crash is on the horizon. I lifted for the first time yesterday (i took a week off following my bulk) and i'm still draggin ass.
    For me the easiest way to describe how the diet works is that your body needs fats to burn fat. Similiarly to you need to drink water to lose water.

9. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Great post Gorilla :tucool:

I don't think I have the dietary disipiline to tackle this diet yet but its definetly something to think about in the future :nod:

10. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

No problem! As Mannish has pointed out, you can download the ebook from his website. I have also posted the link above for anyone interested. There is also loads of additional info online, and I have posted links to a couple sites I have found pretty useful in that regard. :tucool:

11. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Definitely important to keep the water intake very, very high! Many folks will notice an increase in thirst. Once you hit that crash, you will start to notice some amazing energy! I for one am also noticing that my energy levels are alot more stable and so is my mood!

12. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Thanks for the support Grey! It does take a bit of discipline, especially during the first 12 days. Initially I felt like I wanted to eat every bag of chips in sight, not to mention many folks were bringing in tasty chocolates and cookies for the holiday's! I stuck to it though, and am really enjoying the benefits thus far. The nice thing about the Anabolic diet, is that you have that 24-48 hour period where you can have what you want (within reason) so I am rewarding myself with some pancakes and bacon this weekend!:lol: It is worth experimenting with at least once if a person is curious. Thats what I am currently doing. I wanted to see once and for all what the deal with this diet was. I also wanted to see how my body would fair on a high fat diet. I will be going for follow up blood work in about 3 months and will let everyone know.

#12 Gorilla, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  13. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

Here's a piece of that huge thread on t-nation.

http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=658379&pageNo=23

BTW, i've found sugar free jello and heavy cream (whipped) to be really good for a sweets craving.

14. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Mix in some protein powder, too :eat: :D

I've also occasionally made cream cheese+Nitrean combos similar to the way I've done PB+Nitrean in the past.

15. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Excellent post/suggestions Fishtanker and Mannish! Keep em coming! :tucool:

16. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Food :eat:

17. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

If you like cheese, take some grated cheese and drop it in a hot skillet. Let it melt and start to bubble. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.

You now have a crispy piece of heaven :D

18. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Mmmm, crispy cheese..when I get home Im going to scrounge about for a recipe I have tucked away someplace along those lines. Thanks for the recipe Mannish!

19. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Another great source of tasty recipes is her:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/

Although they tend to be more Atkins geared, there are still alot of great meal ideas that can be applied to the Anabolic Diet. The owner of this site also has an excellent cookbook out called "The low-carb gourmet" Her name is Karen Barnaby.

20. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

Finished day 12 yesterday without a hitch. I didn't have any crash throughout the 12days but since the last 4 days my wieght stayed the same i'm assuming that my body is using fat for fuel pretty well.

I acutally missed the bacon and eggs this morning. a bowl of oats, berries and one egg just doesn't hold me over as well as the fats and protein.