1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Guava's Growth

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by guava, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Abigail Tow

Abigail Tow Active Member

hey ! you re falling off page 2!!

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hmmm... if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have to keep making myself accountable. Thank-you, I think.:confused: :lol:

So, I'm a little more relaxed this week, but that's okay; I'm not slacking anymore. I went out for a nice long walk last night - to the library (closed by the time I got there, so I couldn't check out any new gardening books:doh: ), and then to get some groceries. I bought a whole bunch of stuff (including several pounds of pork tenderloin, lean ground beef, extra lean ground beef, and 10 pounds of potatoes), so it was a bit of a workout carrying it home. Friday night I did a moderate/light upper body workout, and Thursday night I did a moderate lower body workout.

I took the girls out to the strawberry farm on Thursday, but they had no strawberries left to pick.:( The grocery stores are still selling local berries, so I bought one pack of local and one pack of US grown. We did a blind taste test, and they were surprisingly equally delicious.

I've signed up for another week of chasing delinquents. My crew leader has gone on holidays, but she's arranged for someone else to gather together some blitz crews. He must have heard that I'm motivated by praise because he convinced me to join them by saying that my name has frequently come up in a favorable manner among my supervisor's supervisor. So I'll be going out on Thursday night and Friday night for five hours each. In the meantime, I can dream up new ways to spend my $120.:whistle:

To keep my husband appeased, I'm trying to eat each time I'm hungry instead of keeping myself just on the brink of satisfaction. Gaining a pound a month wouldn't be too much.

I'm exploring new music by Papa Roach, Hinder, Fallout Boy, P.O.D, and Theory of a Deadman. (Yes, they sound exactly like Nickelback. Chad Kroeger produced their album and co-wrote six of their first ten songs.)

Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm. ~Abraham Lincoln

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If I don't post something, Abigail is going to come and hunt me down.:p

Every part of my body above my navel is in pain. Why does it take DOMS 48 hours to reach me now when it used to arrive after about 12 hours? After a really super good workout, I feel omnipotent for the entire next day. That was yesterday. :D It's a really cool feeling - "I am stronger today than I have ever been in my life." :flex:

Yesterday I took the girls to Canada's Wonderland and it really wore me out, so I'm in a bit of a funk today. Food so far:

1 C low fat peach yogurt
    1 egg
    1/2 C oats
    1 large peach

1 C low fat peach yogurt
    1 C diced cantaloupe
    2 T ground flax seeds

I'm going to the MuscleMag store this afternoon to visit my dumbbells. I don't think I'm ready to buy them yet, but I'd like to take another look.

I was supposed to be going to the bank, but they can't see us today, so instead of changing the time for the sitter, I decided just to make a shopping trip of it. Later, I'll be meeting my husband for dinner and a movie. He's been acting like he's seventeen lately, so I'm preparing advance strategies in how to steer him away from the back row of the theatre.:whistle:

If you cannot be a poet, be the poem. ~David Carradine

4. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

:claphigh: :claplow: :claphigh: that's such a great feeling, isn't it :nod: :tucool:

5. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Hey Guava,
    I took Justitia to Whole Foods this afternoon. She said that you had given her permission to eat fruits. I bought $25 worth of Rainier and sweet cherries. But I didn't want to eat them until I got your permission.

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Eat the cherries.
    With some chocolate.
    :)

Carpe diem.

Click.

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I think I OD'd on the fruit. I am sitting here all bloated again, having eaten a peach, a banana and a bag of the Ranier Cherries and 1 lb of strawberreis. I think Ineed to cut back now.... sheesh...

I think I need ot go back to my normal diet.

Thanks Banditfist for the trip.... you drive a neat car..;)

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Progress check

Justitia,

Fruit has a lot of volume. If you're not used to eating very much, it will fill you up quite quickly.

Slow and steady wins the race, they say.

Sometimes I feel like I haven't come very far in the last few years. I've been sort of trying to bulk since July 2004, (I was 52.0 kg, and there were a couple of photos where I looked frighteningly thin.) but it's been very hard to do psychologically. I seem to have a "set point" at about 117 pounds, which I think is sort of funny, because I had a very firm set point of 130 pounds for several years.

My weight has hardly changed at all. I haven't really been keeping track of my body fat percentage, but it's been jumping around quite variably.

I haven't taken measurements in months, but photos are showing that my shoulders and chest have gotten considerably wider. My waist looks like it's gotten smaller, but that might just be a lighting illusion. The fat in my thighs has diminished or redistributed itself.

Not to mention, I've been really happy with my diet lately. I don't feel right if I don't have spinach and broccoli and berries or oranges every day. I've gotten to know which foods will satisfy me (yogurt), and which foods are better left to small quanitities (boxed cereals, nuts).

Scale says 53.0 kg, 16% body fat. I feel comfortable here.:)

Attached Files:

9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:confused: Rockin Mama's, Guava's, :confused:

Both are great!!!!:nod:

10. bellezza

bellezza Active Member

Wow, Guava. I can't even tell you how amazing your pics are. You were never big, but in the July pic you are absolutely flawless. You've done a great job. You have the ideal figure IMO. Keep it up! :tu:

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks belezza.

I've never been big since I've been a member of the forums, but I was overweight 1993-1996 (155 pounds). When I got pregnant, I went up to about 190, then was "overweight" until a year after giving birth, then spent about 3 years at a "normal" weight 130 pounds, then pregnant/overweight for another two years, then back to 130 until just before I joined the forums.

12. Black-Dawn

Black-Dawn Well-Known Member

Amazing what replacing a few kilos of fat mass with lean mass
    in all the "strategic places" :) can do for you.

Keep up the great work! (espicelly the lunges :) )

Shahar.

13. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I told you your shoulders got wider, Guava, do you use a tape measure to track at all?

14. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

I agree... you widened your lats too... you have a much better v-taper now which is part of the reason your waist seems so much smaller than it used too... you look awesome :nod:

15. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

Yes, you look so firm and tight in your latter pictures. You've got more definition and everything :) The biggest shape-up looks to me like your tush. The difference is amazing! It's so lifted I just cant believe it, and look ---- you've got a gap between your upper thighs :D
    Great work Guava :bow:

16. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Guava, since I told my wife about your economical butt lift, she's demanding to know details of the glute heavy workouts. I know you had given some vague info before, but any chance you could just summarize it into the names of a few exercises (or descriptions if names don't work) and just a relative idea of how often (once, twice, more/week?) you did them. Even if you have to make up some details, that's fine.

I know you mentioned, lunges (with dumbells?)
    bridges (reps, sets?)
    something about ankle weights?

I know it's silly to ask for details, as of course the best thing for her to do is try some things out and see how it works, but sometimes people just need to be told to do something a certain way, just to start their own revisement of a routine, as they will most certainly do. Thanks!

17. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :eek: :bow: :drool: :o

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I tracked at mybodycomp for a while (now fittogether.net) but I quit using the tape measure because the camera is more accurate. I find that I get so much of a variance based on measurement error and/or water retention that the fat/muscle composition changes are very difficult to see in the measurements. I don't think my neck grew and shrank, the first arm and shoulder measurement seem unlikely high, I don't believe my calves shrunk, and I can never figure out where to measure "hips". My hips aren't anywhere near my hip bones. :confused: Even though my waist is still the same 26 inches as in October 05, it's a firmer 26 inches. The tape wouldn't have shown the butt lift either.

Feb 2004/ Oct 2005/ July 2006
    Weight 123.20/ 118.00/ 117.00
    Shoulders 43.43/ 41 / 41.5
    Chest 36 / 33.8 / 34.2
    Waist 27/ 26 / 26
    Abdomen 28/ 27 / 26.5
    Hips 35 / 32 / 33
    Thigh 21.8 / 21.2 / 20.6
    Knee 14 / 13 / 13.2
    Calf 14.8 / 14.5 / 14.3
    Ankle 8.25 / 8 / 8
    Neck 13.48 / 14 / 13
    Arm 11.48 / 10.25 / 10.5
    Forearm 9.59 / 9.5 / 9.6
    Wrist 6.17 / 6.09 / 6.09

My waist/hip ratio is graphed at the "very high risk" category.
    Your Body Fat Level Is: 20.64%:lol:

19. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

You look great Guava!

20. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I lifted weights five to six times per week. Every second workout was a glute heavy workout, so that means two to three times a week. I wouldn't recommend this for more than six to eight weeks. Key exercises were lunges with dumbbells and dumbbell bench step ups or walking stairs while holding dumbbells. Also included squats with dumbbells, sumo squats with a stability ball against the wall, butt lifts or ("bridge" or "pelvic tilts") and tush tucks as here, but with one leg extended straight, sissy squats, ham curl with stability ball, front lying leg lifts (reverse hyperextensions, or "half supermans"), side lying leg lifts with ankle weights, walking with a resistance band tied around my ankle, "skating" and "marching" with a resistance band around my ankle. Less frequently, I also included deadlifts, ham curls, leg extensions.

I can't recommend numbers of reps or sets, because sometimes I worked out for 15 minutes, and sometimes for an hour. Sometimes I took long rest periods, sometimes short. Sometimes I picked the "easy" exercises, and sometimes I wanted more of a challenge; depended how I felt. It was never planned out in advance.