1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Great Expectations-Imelda's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by imelda, Aug 29, 2010.

1. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

:lol::lol: I read this and didn't even get the bit of sarcasm until I read seltzer's reply! :lol::lol: Must be cuz of all those brain cells I fried back then!:lol:
    Just wait 'til you're our age, sonny! :lol:

2. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Did as planned tonight:
    Extreme kettlebell workout for cardio (2 segments)
    Biceps.
    Just a little ab work.
    I got some homemade applesauce canned tonight. Hope to get started on sauerkraut tomorrow. Fun!:

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol: I listened to Ssssh! by Ten Years After last week. On vinyl of course.

All Along the Watchtower is mighty fine and Jimi's cover is probably more familiar to most people than Dylan's original. I don't listen to the radio that often, but it's one of his songs that gets radio play so I hear it relatively often. Now Red House on the other hand.....

I think we'll be making some homemade applesauce this weekend.

4. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

There must be better radio stations over there..."classic rock" here translates "overplayed pop". Barely any Hendrix or Janis Joplin; Led Zeppelin tunes consist of "D'yer Maker" and "Stairway to Heaven". Heart's "Magic Man" up the wazoo.
    Love Red House.....would be great to listen to with a nice bottle of red wine.....no , I won't go there!
    Enjoy your applesauce! I had the idea this year to get several big bags of different varieties of apples, sauce them separately and then decide which we liked best. Unfortunately, I didn't label the bags and forgot what 2 of the varieties were. :dunce: Oh well, it's all good anyway!

5. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Did my legs tonight and about 10 minutes on the spin-bike to warm up.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    97.3 WRVV used to be pretty good, but that was a while ago. It's still what I click to when I'm home, though...although it's been almost 3 years since I visited my mom. :doh:

Back when I was in HS there used to be a bunch of good classic rock stations in the area, but I get they sadly went out of fashion.

I love homemade applesauce. My mom used to use a food mill (?) that I think belonged to her grandmother. I always remember the homemade applesauce being just a little more tart and WAY better than anything we could buy at the store.

7. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Have you done this before? I've done a few batches of homemade sauerkraut and was surprised at how easy it was.

8. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Oddly, I hate the taste of sauerkraut, but I love the smell of it cooking.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think you'd be surprised at the state of commercial NYC area radio. There are a lot of stations, but I have fewer options than you probably think.

10. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Yep, The River is pretty good, but I lose it on the way to work. In fact, most mornings it's hard to pick up actual music: it's all those idiots talking and making lame attempts at humor. It's either channel-surf endlessly or arm myself with CDs.
    A friend of mine at work today just told me about the food-mill her son uses. Might have to check that out. Sure I can find one up at Good's in Quarryville.:)

11. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Yes, I tried it last spring and was surprised, also. It was great! Even had my husband eating it, and he's always stated he would never touch the stuff. I had heard so many horror stories about people stinking up their houses and growing weird types of mold but figured I'd give it a try. You just can't find sauerkraut anywhere that hasn't been pasteurized. I want enzymes! So now I've got a few big, blue cabbages from the Amish farm up the road, and in between batches of applesauce I'm chopping cabbage. Part of the reason I love fall!:)

12. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

That is odd! Most people say just the opposite. I think the reason my husband never ate it before was because he hated the smell of it cooking. I guess I enjoy both. The smell brings back a lot of memories from when I was a kid and Mom cooked it up with Polish sausage.:)

13. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

A shame. Everything's gone commercial, it seems. Like television: A million stations, but still nothing worth watching.:(

14. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Did just cardio today: 3 miles run/walk when I got home from work, and then 15 minutes HIIT on the spin-bike.

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sauerkraut is great. I'll bet I have a recipe for it somewhere, maybe in a family cookbook. It reminds me of New Year's Day, when we had sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and pork chops every year. Well, up until I started making sloppy joes for bowl game watching. Ah, good times. Hmm. My wife doesn't like sauerkraut, though, so I might be on my own. :(

I hate, hate, hate morning talk radio. I usally listen to NPR. Which is talking, but I guess not that inane talking like 2 DJs trying to be funny. I never wrapped my head around the idea that so many radio listeners would rather listen to two people jabber all morning instead of listening to music. Just seems strange to me.:confused:

16. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Homemade is totally different from anything I've ever had prepared. I really like the taste. It's so much better than stuff from a can, jar, or bag. I can only imagine how great those blue cabbages will taste. :drool:

I've only had one batch get nasty, and that was because I stopped paying attention to it and let the liquid get too low. :o

17. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

You should share a recipe :). I've tried making Russian-stile sour cabbage, and it went.. well, sour. I think I added sugar, when i should have stuck to salt, and the sugar caused fermentation.

On similar note, has anyone tried making sautéed or braised cabbage? It's a great winter dish. Especially with something like chunks of Italian sausage mixed in.

18. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

We had the same menu for New Year's. I liked the leftovers even better: Mom would fry the mashed potatoes and the sauerkraut together in some butter until they were a little brown and crisp: OMG! Simple, but good!
    Morning talk radio reminds me of this: You know like when you were a teenager, with a bunch of friends, and you laughed and carried on and had your inside jokes....but you and your friends were funny only to yourselves: anyone watching would think you were a bunch of loud, obnoxious jerks. That's what those "radio personalities" sound like to me: loud, obnoxious jerks who share jokes and laughs while we wait for ages for a few good tunes. Is anyone in radio-land listening?

19. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

I've really started enjoying fermenting stuff. I make my own kombucha tea, also. Got a starter from some Lancaster Amish folk. It's easy to make and full of lots of antioxidants.
    I'm trying some beet kvass now and have cultured some cream, as well. Made creme fraiche which was the envy of all the ladies at work when I took it for lunch with some local blackberries. My husband and daughters get a kick out of my "science projects". :lol:

20. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

I like cabbage all ways. I'm currently looking for a recipe for stuffed cabbage leaves. There must be good crock-pot recipe for those, don't you think?
    Sausage and ham go particularly well with cabbage. Not sure why, but I would never pair it with chicken. I guess the strong flavor of the cabbage needs something a little more flavorful to go with it.