1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Grape fruit/ Pineapple

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Theta, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I eat a grapefruit a day (sometimes two), since it is only 80-100 calories, and fills me up. It also has benefits like Vitamin C, and high fiber. I also peel them like an orange. My only complaint, is that when you buy them, you never know how they are going to taste. Sometimes they look ugly, and taste really good, and vice versa. Also, sometimes you buy this big grapefruit, and when you peel it, it is no bigger then a small one. I also suggest to go with the Florida grapefruits, they usually taste better then the ones from Texas.

2. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Cuz Chris told me to :(

3. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly he also says that adding lemon juice to a diet will help to tighten skin...is that true of all citrus? Did I remember that correctly...?

Yeah, basically if Chris says it, do it...

4. JeremyL

JeremyL Active Member

The problem with pineapples and grapefruits and almost every skinned fruit/veg on the planet is the fact that the majority of the food value is in the portions we dont eat. Pineapple is very high in an amino acid called bromelain which among many other things is a powerful meat/protein digesting enzyme. However the vast majority of the bromelain is found in the inner stem and rind which almost noone eats. By juicing the whole pineapple you get virtually all of the bromelain and other nutrients in a super eay to digest (body does not have to seperate the juice from the fiber) form that drank after a big meal or a way too high protein shake.

Grapefruit is very high in lycopene and many phytonutrients (and dont even get me going on vit-c group and bioflav's) which have a proven synergistic effect on the body. Again tho like with the p'apple and other citrus fruits the majority of these nutrients are found in the skin and white pulpy matter, which most people peel away and discard and throw away 80%+ of the food value.

So if youre gonna load up pineapple and grapefruit (buy organic as much as you can) youre a lot better off juicing it, will save a lot of time chewing, youll get more out of it and its easier on your body

5. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Just juiced my first grapefruit and I'm not going back. More fiber, more juice, cleaner, quicker, and yummmmmm.

6. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

Congrats to me for searching instead of starting a new thread.

I tried Grapefruit after John posted in his journal. I have never had it before and don't know anything about it.

The flavor was...difficult, but if there is some overwhelming health reason I could learn to love it. (Witness: Asparagus, Broccoli...Still can't do Squash yet).

Anyway, are you supposed to eat grapefruit like an orange? Peel it and quarter it into 'slices' and then just eat it?

It's hard to choke down, but I *will* Say I wasn't hungry for a long time afterwards. I'm going to try some more later today.

Any tips for Grapefruit virgins?

#26 akm3, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Splenda :nod: :D

8. PAF

PAF Well-Known Member

If I have it I have it as an appetiser to my dinner. Usually at my grandparents :)

9. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

But it IS meant to be eaten like an orange? Peel it? Rip it into slices, eat?

I remember some dim memory of people eating it with a spoon and squishing juice everywhere

10. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Honestly I don't think it was "meant" to be eaten any particular way, mother nature is usually pretty open on that end of things when she makes us food. Allot of people do the spoon thing, where you cut it in half cover it in sugar (probably splenda around here) then sort of carve the fruit out of the middle with a spoon (you can get special "grapefruit" spoons that have serrated edges like a pumpkin carving knife). Personally if I ate them I would just peel it like an orange and eat the slices because it seems easier and doesn't make dirty dishes. Whatever way works for you.

11. Jmov

Jmov Active Member

Just had my first grape fruit (half) this morning. Doesn't taste too great, but that's not biggie, since half of it that small amount to down. I'm more worried about my teeth and stomach. I tend to get acid reflux from acid fruits. And I could practically feel the surface of my teeth fading away when eating the grape.

What do you recommend as replacement for the grape? Is pineapple equiv to it? Thinking of the canned stuff. I'm allergic to the fresh pineapple. Tongue and mouth starts to hurt quite a bit if I eat those.

Any suggestions?

12. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

I absolutely love grapefruit. Pineapple even moreso but that prolly has to do with the fact that it's so much sweeter... which is just about never a bad thing. I do tend to stay away from it while dieting though because I feel that the fact that it is so tasty and so sweet that it really can't be that good for me. Not to mention I WILL eat the whole thing haha

I usually cut my grapefruit in half and then use a knife to cut in between the fruit and the rind all the way around in a circle and then peel the rind away and eat it plain like that. I do this because sometime those skins are tough to get off with your fingers. I have used splenda in the past and I do like it but over time I got used to the fruit by itself and now I can't really have it any other way.

Jmov, personally I'm not sure of what a suitable replacement for grapefruit is but I would think the main concern with canned with be any possible added sugar/HFCS like you tend to find.

13. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Ideal sub for grapefruit would be berries of all varieties. Natural anti-oxidants and fat burners. Strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, black berries, raspberries, etc. And although it's not a berry, I'd put apples in there, too.

14. Jmov

Jmov Active Member

Hey this is great news! The lady of the house has filled our freezer to its limits with all kinds of berries! About time I start emptying it too from those. I also need some space for the chicken breasts there :lol:
    Thanks Mastover!