1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Graham's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Spartan88, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:

:)

Glad to read that.

Spartan88 likes this.
  2. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 58:

Back to some structure.

A Squat 92.5
    kg/203.5lbs x 8,8,8,12

B Bench Press 52.5
    kg/115.5lbs x 8,8,8,11

C1 Back Extension x 7, 7, 5, 5

C2 Dips x 11, 8, 7, 7

D Modified Sprinters Lunge - unweighted x 8, 8kg x 8, 8

Brisk Walk on treadmill 8 minutes.

Got away form work earlier than my girlfriend. Plenty of time to work through the first Session of a program I hoping to follow for a time. I'm hoping that it will help strengthen my lower back and core and stretch tight hip-flexors. It's still built around the Squat, Bench, Press, Press and Deadlift.

I'll perform 4 sets of 8 on the Squat, Bench and Press and add reps to the last set if I've got something left but to a limit of 12 reps. I'll perform 1 set of 8 for Deadlifts. Other exercises I might add reps over time or they'll be sets to failure such as Dips and Chin-ups.

Squat felt good. Sets of 8 are a lot tougher than sets of 5 but I had plenty left for set 4. For the Bench I'd have almost certainly hit 12 reps last set but leg-drive was slowly pushing me up the bench and I caught the J-Hooks a couple of times as I pressed which threw off rhythm and form.

Back Extension were comfortable. I limited reps as I was a bit sore after last week and will build reps over time and eventually hopefully add weight.

Dips felt good. Performed these as super-sets with the Back Extension.

Ideally the Sprinters Lunge would have been done as the first exercise but if a Squat Rack is free you need to grab it else you could be waiting to get in one and wasting time. I'm not sure they are doing much for my Glutes, that might come with additional weight, but they do get a good stretch on my hip flexors.

I thinks I've made some mistakes with regard to cutting and bulking since I started training again in the new year. I think I dropped weight a little too quickly at the start of the year although I do feel far healthier for it so not too concerned. However, I transitioned to bulking too quickly, added too much body-fat and have then transitioned to cutting too quickly. I believe that I've lost energy and lost muscle by restricting my diet too heavily. I think I have too much body fat to bulk, too little muscle mass to cut and I'm probably better served eating near maintenance and working hard in the gym. I'm going to try to eat at a very minor calorie deficit for a time and measure progress.

Scale weight today 188.4lbs @ 26% bf.

3. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 59:

A Press 32.5kg/71.5lbs
    x 8, 8, 8, 12

B Deadlift 80kg/176lbs

C1 Chin-up x
    9, 7, 6, 4

C2 Suitcase Carry 18kg
    x 3 x 6 circuits.

D Side Plank x 60 seconds each side

All felt pretty good. Ready to increase weight going forward on the Press and Deadlift as lifts were comfortable. Did have to wear the belt very high on the Deadlift. Not particularly comfortable belt position.

Chin-up and Suitcase carry really hit the forearms especially following Deadlifting. Side Plank was tough. Not surprising after the Suitcase Carries.

Diet has been good. Went into London on a team-building day with work and expected the diet to be a bit off but did well. Ate in a fish restaurant. I've never been a big eater of fish, the bones especially putting me off. However, I eat Salmon regularly so rather than the default of battered cod and chips which is often the safe option, I had the Sea Bass which was very good and very easy to eat with few bones. Had a beer but only the one.

Scale weight today 187.4lbs @ 25.7% bf.

#163 Spartan88, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  4. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 60:

A Squat 95
    kg/209lbs x 8,8,8,12

B Bench Press 55
    kg/121lbs x 8,8,8,12

C1 Back Extension x 7, 7, 5, 5

C2 Dips x 11, 10, 9, 7

D Modified Sprinters Lunge - unweighted x 8, 8kg x 8, 8

Squat and Bench felt good with increased weight. Back Extensions felt good. Got an increased number of Dips done. Sprinter's Lunge done with same weight.

If I was in any doubt about how much the Suitcase Carries and Side Planks worked the abs on Friday, I've been certain this weekend that they hit the abs from top to bottom.

Scale weight 189.2lbs @ 25.8%bf.

A Sunday workout today as I'll be at Wimbledon for the Tennis on both Monday and Tuesday. Hoping for some good matches on Court 1 tomorrow and Centre Court Tuesday.

#164 Spartan88, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  5. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 61:

A Press 33.5kg/73.7lbs
    x 8, 8, 8, 12

B Deadlift 82.5kg/181.5lbs

C1 Chin-up x
    9, 7, 6, 7

C2 Suitcase Carry 18kg
    x 3 x 6 circuits.

D 12 minute gentle run on treadmill.

E Side Plank
    x 60 seconds each side

Everything felt good today. Had plenty of time in the gym so got a short run in although did feel some cramp in my left calf but it eased quickly.

Did 8 reps of the Deadlift but as it felt quite easy, added another four to bring the reps to 12. Might up the weight a little quicker than 2.5kg per workout as I'm well within my limits.

Did the run before the last set of chin-ups which helped me get an extra couple.

Scale weight 191lbs @ 28.1%bf, likely a result of going out for Pizza and a couple of drinks after the tennis. The usual procedure for Wimbledon is that I go with my mother and my brother and sister join us later in the day which is what we did yesterday. Does make for a long day as live on the opposite side of London to Wimbledon so it's a good 2-2.5 hour journey.

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

That is a nice family outing. Which matches did you see?

7. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Had Court 1 tickets Monday.

Saw Zhang vs Yastremska on Court 18 from 11am.

Then moved to Court 1:

Williams vs Suarez Navarro

Halep vs Gauff

Djokovic vs Humbert

Then moved to Court 3:

Watched from the 4th set Pella come back from two sets down to beat Raonic. This was the best game I saw over the two days.

Pretty much non-stop tennis from 11am to 8:30 pm.

Had Centre Court tickets Tuesday. Less happening on outside courts so only watched Centre Court matches:

Riske vs Williams

Strycova vs Konta - a real disappointment for the home crowd

Williams/Murray vs Atawo/Martin

Somewhat ironic having No1 and Centre court tickets that the best matches that I saw, with the exception of Riske vs Williams, were on Courts 3 and 18.

8. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Weekend update:

No gym Friday. Went into work early in order to finish early to watch the Wimbledon Men's Semi Finals. Nice to have that flexibility.

Before last June my job role involved seeing people face to face which meant the work day was typically 8:30-4:30 with little flexibility. We did have flexible working but the practicalities of the role meeting members of the public meant that you needed to be present at the times the office was open to the public (9am to 5pm). As my role now doesn't involve that level of engagement with the public I can put in my time at any time the building is open to staff 7am to 7pm. It's fantastic for work-life balance.

Intended to work out Saturday and the watch the Wimbledon Women's Final. Indeed I got to the gym but a bit later than intended but I found I was both feeling hungry and not particularly focused. Got to the end of my first set of Squats and simply didn't have the motivation or focus to carry on.

Considered making up for it on Sunday but my girlfriend convinced me to not worry about one missed workout.

Will be going to the gym later this afternoon.

9. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 62:

That's Better - Back on it!

A Squat 97.5
    kg/214.5lbs x 8,8,8,8

B Bench Press 57.5
    kg/126.5lbs x 8,8,8,8

C1 Back Extension x 8, 8, 8, 8

C2 Dips x 10, 9, 9, 14

C3 Modified Sprinters Lunge - unweighted x 8, 8kg x 8, 8

5 minute run.

Squat feeling heavy for that number of reps, same for the Bench, just getting the 4 sets of 8. Managed to super-set the final 3 exercises although not in a strict order. Actually got the first set of back extensions in during the last rest period for the Bench. Might try to super-set Bench and Back Extensions in future and super-set the Dips and Sprinters's Lunge. Shouldn't affect the individual lifts/exercises but should save time.

Last set of Dips was performed after the brief run. Felt like I had a real boost for that last set.

Scale Weight 187.6lbs @ 25.4%bf

10. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 63:

A Press 35kg/77lbs
    x 8, 8, 8, 11

B Deadlift 87.5kg/192.5lbs

C1 Chin-up x
    9, 7, 6, 7

C2 Suitcase Carry
    6 circuits 20kg x 1, 18kg x 2

D 8 minute run on treadmill.

E Side Plank
    x 60 seconds each side

All felt pretty good today. Added weight a little quicker to the Deadlift as I feel ready to handle it. Low back sometimes feels a little tight but I think it feels good during the lifts and form is good.

Went a bit later as had some tasks/DIY to do at home which will continue for a few days/weeks. Didn't seem to affect anything although should have eaten dinner a little earlier. As it has been lately it was rather humid again. Sweat dripping off me. A more expensive gym would have air-con.

Scale Weight 187.8lbs @ 25.2% bf. It's a bit early to tell for certain but it appears weight is fairly stable/slowly reducing with bf% reducing at a still slow but slightly sharper rate than scale weight. Hopefully on the right track.

11. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 64:

A Squat 100
    kg/220lbs x 8,8,8,8

B Bench Press 60
    kg/132lbs x 8,8,8,9

C1 Back Extension x 8, 8, 8, 8

C2 Dips x 9, 11, 11, 9

C3 Modified Sprinters Lunge - unweighted x 8, 16kg x 8, 8

Not a bad workout. Added weight on Squat and Bench. Both taxing. Added weight to the Sprinter's Lunge. Couldn't find more than one 6kg dumbbell so went with the 8kgs. Once again very humid. It's looking to be very hot and humid mid week. Wednesday's workout might be grim.

Scale weight 187lbs @ 25.5%bf.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on increasing the weight on the two exercises. :tucool: Always gratifying.

Spartan88 likes this.
  13. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 65:

A Press 36kg/79.2lbs
    x 8, 8, 8, 11

B Deadlift 92.5kg/203.5lbs

C1 Chin-up x
    9, 6, 7, 6

C2 Suitcase Carry
    6 circuits 20kg x 2, 18kg x 1

E Side Plank x 60 seconds each side

Good workout. Got the same reps for all with added weight. Didn't have time for a run as didn't get to the gym any earlier than my girlfriend. Not too bothered as it was very hot and humid.

I've spent the rest of the evening rushing around doing some food shopping, dropping in to my Mum's house to feed the cats whilst she's away and heading back to my girlfriend's to fix her phone (just needed a forced reset) that had stopped working. I've only just eaten dinner at 10:40pm.

Will be heading to work early tomorrow in order to get out before the temperature peaks.

Scale Weight 186lbs @ 25% bf.

14. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    No gym tonight. Temperature reached 32C/90F but felt like 36C/97F this afternoon. Gym was likely to be very uncomfortable.

I already had to travel across London for a meeting today so didn't wish to add a workout to a hot/sweaty commute. As it turned out, by talking my time, keeping my time on the Underground to a minimum and my time on air conditioned trains to a maximum, thing weren't too bad. It's also the first week of school holidays here so fewer commuters. Avoided London's hottest Underground Line, the Central Line as that can reach temperatures as high as 10C warmer than above ground.

Predictions of 37C/99F feeling like 43C/109F for tomorrow with a fair expectation of it being the hottest UK day on record.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hot, hot, hot! With the heat index being so much higher than the actual temperature I'm assuming it's quite humid. Last week when we had similar weather my gym could not get the facility cool enough or reduce the humidity enough to make working out reasonable. Even the folks I workout with who I consider in VERY good shape were having a tough time.

Hydrate!

16. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Very Humid. It looks like the UK has recorded its second highest temperature on record. Paris has had its highest recorded temperature as well as Germany, The Netherlands and Belgium all setting temperature records.

We filled the fridge with bottles of water this morning so we had plenty to drink during the day and despite having no air-con where my team works we managed to control the temperature well by opening and closing windows an blinds as appropriate and deploying plenty of fans to provide relief.

There have been some faint rumbles of thunder this evening and a short rain shower. I'm hoping for a thunder storm and some rain to clear the air.

I left for work early this morning getting in at around 7am (the earliest we can access the building) so I could complete my day before temperatures peaked sometime after 3pm. My girlfriend came to work later and said that she used her asthma inhaler walking to the bus stop, such was the effect of the humidity.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The weather on your side of the pond had been getting a lot of news time on this side. As someone who deals with asthma, I feel for your GF. I've been diligent about my daily meds and always carry around my emergency inhaler.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yesterday's front page of the NY Times had an article about the record temperature in Europe, a photo of Paris 108 degrees.

19. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 66:

A Squat 102.5
    kg/225.5lbs x 8,8,8,8

B1 Bench Press 62.5
    kg/137.5lbs x 8,8,8,8

B2 Back Extension x 8, 8, 8, 8

C1 Dips x 11, 11, 10, 9

C2 Modified Sprinters Lunge - unweighted x 8, 16kg x 8

Open a window! Oh, that's right, you can't.

Today's absolute stifling humidity at the gym could have been relieved quite significantly just by having some openable windows. The heat and humidity seems to have been trapped all week with no way out. It has felt far fresher today, the temperature has dropped and cloud cover and rain has made things far more comfortable. Unfortunately, along with many modern buildings, the gym has no windows which is fine if you have an adequate ventilation system but a real pain if you don't. Obviously, you don't want people opening windows when unnecessary, my windows at home remained closed until later in the evening as this kept the heat out, but it would have been a blessing this evening.

I've only ever been sweatier in a sauna or that time the American Football team I once played for could only field a team of 17 and we all had to play Offence, Defence and Special Teams on what was the hottest day of the year just over a decade ago.

A good workout though, despite the heat. Incremental weight increases for Squat and Bench. Good numbers for Dips. Only did one weighted set of the Sprinter's Lunge as my girlfriend was ready to leave the gym well before me so I skipped one set to get out slightly quicker.

20. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    One final weather update:

It was confirmed today that last Thursday was indeed the hottest on record in the UK. 38.7C/101.66F was recorded in Cambridge.

The weekend saw a lot of rain and cooler temperatures. Today was very pleasant low 20s Centigrade /70s Farenheit. Should remain that way for a couple of weeks.