1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Graham's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Spartan88, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 52:

Working Sets:

A Squat
    65kg/143lbs x 8,8,8,30

B Press 32.5kg/99lbs x 8,8,8,10

C1 Chin-ups 9, 5, 5, 5

C2 EZ-Bar Curls 14kg/30.8lbs 16, 16, 16

C3 Sled Push 20kg x 2, 40kg x 2, 50kg x 2, 60kg x 2 circuits.

Added weight to the Squat and managed the same reps as Monday. Can really feel it in the Quads and Calves after those 30 reps. The Press is tough with higher reps, shoulders just seem to fatigue quickly.

Super-sets for the last three exercises. Just testing out the weight for the EZ-Bar curls, too light and the sled push. Sled push is around a 40-45ft run each way and completed twice. This is very different to my Starting Strength sessions and I was exhausted by the end of it. I've cut back carbs somewhat and am monitoring how this affects my weight, bodyfat and endurance.

Scale weight 192.6lbs @ 27.8% bf.

2. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 53:

Working Sets:

A Squat 7
    0kg/154lbs x 8,8,8,28

B Bench Press 50kg/110lbs x 8,8,8,15

C1 Dips - 9, 7, 5, 5

C2 Bench Dips
    - 23, 23, 19, 18

C3 Sled Push 30kg x 2, 40kg x 2, 50kg x 2, 60kg x 2 circuits

Quite humid at the gym today. By the time I got to 28 Squats on the fourth set I'd had enough. Legs would have been good for a few more reps but completely out of breath to continue.

Bench was done by rep 15.

Supersets of Dips, Bench Dips and Sled Push have me quite exhausted by the end.

Scale weight 192.2lbs @ 28% bf.

#142 Spartan88, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 54:

Working Sets:

A Squat 75
    kg/165lbs x 8,8,8,26

B Press 33.5kg/73.7lbs x 8,8,8,10

C1 Chin-ups 8, 5, 5, 4

C2 EZ-Bar Curls 16.5kg/30.8lbs 16, 16, 16

Realised once I got into the Squat Rack that I'd left my belt in my gym bag. Back felt good though so carried on without going back to get it out of the locker. It was hot and humid again in the gym today. I'm struggling to get everything done including the Sled Push without my girlfriend having to wait for me so I dropped that today. Might do it only when she doesn't come to the gym. Squat was good. Once again it was overall fatigue that limited me to the 26 reps. Could really feel it in the Quads all the way through to the end of the Press. Press was good. Only an incremental increase in weight and on the last rep my legs were shaking. Super-setted Chin-ups and EZ-Bar Curls to round things off.

Scale weight this morning 192.6lbs @ 27.1% bf.

4. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 55:

Working Sets:

A Squat 8
    0kg/176lbs x 8,8,8,24

B Bench Press 52.5kg/115.5lbs x 8,8,8,14

C1 Dips - 10, 7, 6, 4

C2 Bench Dips - 22, 20, 19, 18

C3 Sled Push - 40kg x 2, 50kg x 2, 60kg x 2, 70kg x 2 circuits

Remembered my belt today. Wore it on the working sets of Squats but wore it one setting looser than normal. Found that more comfortable when breathing heavily during the 4th set of Squats. Increased Bench by just 2.5kgs rather than the 5kg previous increase.

My girlfriend was working late so I had a little extra time at the gym before she left work. Decided to fit in the Sled Push again. Was going to do just the 3 circuits but had an extra couple of minutes so chucked on an extra 10kgs for 2 extra circuits.

Scale Weight 191.6lbs @ 26.4% bf.

5. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 56:

Working Sets:

A Squat 85
    kg/187lbs x 8,8,8,22

B Press 34.5kg/74.8lbs x 8,8,8,10

C1 Chin-ups 8, 5, 4, 3

C2 EZ-Bar Curls 19kg/41.8lbs 16, 16, 16

Late to the gym today. Went to work for the morning then to a funeral in the afternoon. Girlfriend has a lot on a work so we had to go back and didn't leave until approx an hour later than usual.

Squat is feeling heavy for that number of reps but feeling good about the number of reps I'm getting. Press felt a little easier than previous but I think that's due to a little extra rest between sets.

Super-setted Chin-ups and Curls can really be felt in the forearms.

Scale Weight 192.2lbs @ 28.7% bf.

6. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Not a good week in terms of fitness.

Went to the gym yesterday as usual, however, had visited my mother during the day to help with some DIY and ended up having an in depth discussion about money, inheritance (related to my father's death, four years past but only just completing the administration of his estate), my mothers plans etc. Ended up running late to meet my girlfriend at the gym. Both of us were a little irritable.

I wasn't in the right frame of mind to lift and managed to tweak my back warming up for Squats with the bar only. How I managed to do so, I don't know. I went for a walk around town instead.

I considered going to the gym today instead but back is still a little tight and I've been a little busy.

I've got an enforced lay-off for the next week as I'm heading to Berlin in the morning until next Monday. Loads of things planned for the week:

- Olympic Stadium Tour
    - Visit to Potsdam
    - Walking Tour
    - Visit to the Reichstag
    - Rammstein Concert
    - Museum visits
    - Many more

I expect I'll do masses of walking and will return quite worn out.

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Enjoy your time in Berlin. Hope your back is feeling better

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have a great trip.

Also, those financial conversations aren't always easy, but are definitely necessary. My mother died young and I was the executor of my father's estate. I had professional help and everything was easier because we had the necessary documents in place to fulfill his wishes before he unexpectedly died.

9. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Berlin was great. Returned home very tired. So much to see and do in the city. Friday night ended up in a club dancing until about 4am. Saturday morning's plans went out the window so had to cram in a few extra things on Sunday and Monday.

Concert on the Saturday night with approx 4 hours of standing aggravated the back. Was in a lot of discomfort returning to the hotel.

I've done some research online and I think my issue is tight hip flexors and anterior pelvic tilt. I'm going to be working on fixing this by stretching the hip flexors and strengthening the abs and glutes.

10. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, the trip was great.

It was a strange time to have a conversation about money/inheritance etc whilst pulling up some vinyl flooring and with time pressure to get to the gym. It's an especially difficult conversation as my father took his own life, as did his mother before him in 1986. He was a very troubled person and it is the case that we'd (myself and my father and my mother and father especially) had fallen out before he died but had thought that we were on a path to resolving those issues/reconciling. I owned my grandfather's house jointly with my father and have inherited that house, effectively receiving an inheritance before my siblings and in place of my mother who otherwise would have inherited at least 50% of the property.

I do believe I have an underlying musculo-skeletal issue but that was compounded by the lack of proper focus that resulted in injury. However, back to the gym today. See below:

11. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 57:

Working Sets:

A Squat 8
    0kg/176lbs x 8,8,8,24

B Bench Press 52.5kg/115.5lbs x 8,8,8,11

C1 Dips - 6, 5

C2 Bench Dips - 23

A shortened workout today as I spent the first 15 minutes doing some stretching and planning out some exercises for my low back pain.

Was a tough workout and I was short on reps for the last set on the Bench and on the Dips. Perhaps due to slightly reduced recovery time between sets and perhaps due to the high humidity in the gym today. Was good to get back into the gym though and good to have a plan to tackle the issues with my back.

Additional time spent stretching and working on my abs and glutes is going to take more of my already limited gym time. I'm considering an idea to head to the gym earlier on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday and make up the time lost at work on a Thursday evening when I am free to stay at work later. I think that will be a better plan than attempting to get to the gym on an additional day.

12. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    No structured workout today:

I took the opportunity to try out a few things in an unstructured way today.

Press 32.5kg/99lbs x 8,8,8,14

Deadlift 60kg/132lbs x 10 - 80kg/176lbs x 8, 8, 8

Back Extensions BW x 10, 10, 10

Chin-ups x 8

Modified Sprinters Lunge 3 x 8 (each side) 8kg dumbells - as shown at 4:15 in this video
    - when I try these without weight I can get a good hip-flexor stretch but struggled with weighted. Think I just need a little practice to get the form right.

Will look to incorporate an exercise for abs that doesn't overtax the hip flexors. I'll have to find a suitable exercise for that.

Keep forgetting to get on the scale this week. Must rectify next week.

Will attempt to extend my workout time next week to incorporate some additional exercises and re-order the workouts to enable an effective structure.

13. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    On a non-fitness but sporting related note I'll be at the London Stadium today (the former Olympic Stadium) for the Red Sox - Yankees game today. Realised that means attending events at former Olympic Stadia on two consecutive weekends. I'll also be there tomorrow as I don't like to miss out.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Enjoy the ball game. From what I've read the dimensions of the stadium are small for baseball and along with some other factors you'll likely see some scoring.

15. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Run-fest!

Really enjoyed yesterdays ballgame. Great atmosphere, lot of travelling fans helped with that. The atmosphere actually compared well with that when I saw the Cubs at Wrigley Field last year. Playing at a neutral venue often diminishes the atmosphere. Certainly the NFL games in London don't have the atmosphere that I experienced when I saw The Bears at Soldier Field. This held up well though.

The scoring certainly helped with the atmosphere although the Stadium started emptying out towards the end. Not sure many had planned for a 4hr 42 ballgame.

A couple of hours time I'll be heading out to watch game 2.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you enjoyed the game and also that the Yankees won. I've been a baseball fan for close to 55 years, played the game for many years, have seen either in person or on TV possibly a couple of thousand games, coached my son and daughter, and this was one of the wildest, if not the wildest game I've ever seen.

Watching on TV, the stat crews were kept busy coming up with factoids like yesterday was the first time since 1989 that both teams scored six runs in the first inning. I was hoping they would post a stat about the last time neither starting pitcher completed their respective first innings not due to injury and combined for only three outs, but maybe that granularity of detail wasn't available. The BBC must have been broadcasting the American feed because on more than one occasion the announcers said, "For those watching on BBC and not familiar with baseball, this is highly unusual". Possibly the understatement of the year. :lol:

Enjoy today.

17. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Plenty of runs at the Baseball again yesterday. Had better seats (same price bracket as Saturday) in the outfield but looking at home plate from between 2nd and 3rd base rather than at the end of the right foul line on Saturday. A much better view of the field overall.

Dietary choices were a bit off:

18. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Workout:

Again no real structure as I work through a few exercises to work into a program.

Squat 90kg/176lbs x 8,8,8,8

Bench Press 52.5
    kg/115.5lbs x 8,8,8,13

Modified Sprinters Lunge - 1 x 8 unweighted, 2 x 8 (each side) 4kg dumbells

Suitcase Carry - 18kg Dumbell - 6 lengths each side.

Side Plank - 60 seconds each side.

Back still a little achy from Friday's Back Extensions and a lot of time sat watching Baseball over the weekend so avoided Deadlifts and Back Extentions today.

Added weight to the Squat but dropped reps. Time is an issue if I'm doing a set of 20 rep Squats and it takes it out of me for following exercises especially with the current humidity. Still feels good to hit 4 x 8 reps. Bench feels good.

Tried the modified Sprinters Lunge again. Took of shoes and stood on the more stable matting (the free-weights area has softer less stable flooring) and did a set unweighted which was good for finding form and two weighted sets.

Suitcase Carry felt effective as did the Side Plank.

Scale Weight 188.4 lbs @ 26% bf. Body fat measure and visual check in the mirror seems high for my current weight. I'm wondering if I will need to add back some cardio into my routine to drive the bf% down as I try to lean out prior to attempting a slower bulk then last time. The difficulty seems to be finding a balance between losing bf and maintaining lean body mass. My concern is simply finding myself back where I was four months ago in terms of weight vs bf%.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad to see you're holding a mug with the Yankees' logo. :lol: In reality they weren't good games in the sense that they weren't representative of most, which is a problem when they're trying to sell their product to folks who may not know much about what's normal. Glad you had a good time and it doesn't appear you went home hungry.

Hope your back feels better really soon.

20. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    That was a bit of luck, the other side of the mug had the Red Sox logo!

It feels like the back is getting there. Should hopefully get my program with back and core exercises nailed down this week.

#160 Spartan88, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019