1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Graham's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Spartan88, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the PR!

Spartan88 likes this.
  2. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 37

Record Setting Friday!

Working sets:

Squat 110kg/242lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Bench Press 65kg/143lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Deadlift 130kg/286lbs x 5 PR

BW Dips x 12,8

I know I've been setting PRs quite regularly, perhaps to be expected on a program such as Starting Strength, especially if you really stick at it like I have this time but this is the first time I've set PRs on all three main lifts in the same session. Especially pleasing as last Benching Session was the first time I've missed reps and missed them by a long way.

Was in the gym a little earlier today as it's a Bank Holiday/Good Friday meaning no work and gym closing at 5pm.

Scale Weight 184.4lbs at 23.2% bf this morning. This bulk is going very slowly so I'm going to slightly tweak the diet again swapping in whole milk for semi-skimmed and a little more carbs on training days. Someone brought pastries to work on Wednesday and I had one for the first time in a long while and I had a Hot Cross Bun today. The extra carbs don't seem to have led to major fat gains and they certainly haven't hurt the lifts. The regular addition to the diet will be more wholemeal bread rather than pastries though.

3. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 38

Working sets:

Squat 107.5kg/236.5lbs x 5,5,5

Press 47kg/103.4lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 132.5kg/291.5lbs x 5 PR

Chin Ups x 7,5

Squat felt pretty tough but good form. Happy to hit all the reps first time for the Press. Micro-loading is proving effective, I think. Deadlift another PR but the grip is faltering. Thinking of trying some liquid chalk to help with that.

Scale weight 184.6lbs at 24.1% bf. Only a marginal weight increase but still an increase. BF measurements go a bit haywire when I eat more but I'll keep recording them. There's no visible increase in body fat so I'll use what the mirror as well as the scale tells me. Added some additional carbs to the diet today but have decided against full-fat milk in anything other than protein shake an hot-chocolate drink as I don't like to drink it on it's own and myself an my girlfriend aren't keen on it in tea so only a partial switch that won't have a huge impact.

4. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 39

Working sets:

Squat 110kg/242lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press 67.5kg/148.5lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Deadlift 135kg/297lbs x 5 PR

BW Dips x 13,8

Another solid session. The fourth rep of the second set of Squats was with terrible form but all the following reps were good. Bench Press was good, another PR at 67.5kg/148.5lbs and all reps made when only two sessions ago I'd failed comprehensively at 65kg. I'm not sure whether it's just a case of pushing through the sticking point or whether my concentration on 'Leg-Drive' in the Bench has helped. I think it's likely the later. I did buy some liquid chalk and it helped massively with the grip for the Deadlift.

This may be the last session of the week as I'll be going to Mallorca/Majorca from Saturday to Tuesday for my Partner's birthday so I'll only be going to the gym if I'm all packed and ready on Thursday night. The temptation to attempt a 300lb Deadlift on Friday may motivate me to get packed tomorrow.

Scale Weight a huge jump to 188.4lbs at 23.9% bf this morning. Went out with my sister and mother for an early birthday dinner for my partner's birthday last night as we'll be seeing her parents and brother on her actual birthday when we return from Mallorca/Majorca. I think a combination of the sticky-toffee pudding and custard for dessert and the Creatine supplementation (water retention) I've started last weekend are the main culprits. I expect the few glasses of wine didn't help either.

#104 Spartan88, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:

I wasn't sure how well 'Liquid' Chalk was going to work but a little of this on your hands and 10 seconds later your hands are bone dry. Fantastic stuff which should mean I can avoid using the lifting straps for a while longer.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another day another PR. Well done!

Spartan88 likes this.
  7. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks.

This forum and the members have been a big help both now and in the past. Being able to look back over my posting history and the advice given to myself and others has been a great help. It feels like I've finally pulled all that knowledge/learning together and can test my natural limit. I guess once the PRs aren't coming every session or every week, the hard work will really start.

8. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Updates:

Friday 26th April:

No gym on Friday. Wanted to be all ready for trip to Mallorca on Saturday.

Mallorca Holiday Saturday 27th to Tuesday 30th:

A really good trip. Flight was out of 'London' (it's quite a way outside of London) Southend Airport which I'd not flown out of before. Nice small airport, quick through security and only a handful of gates. Got a lift to the airport in only 35 minutes. My sister drove us as her and my mother decided to got to Southend (it's a seaside resort) for the morning. Turns out it was a horrible, windy day, so a bad day for a trip to the seaside for them and another take-off with lots of turbulence. Breakfast at the airport which is a ritual we have on all our trips was the start of quite a lax diet for the weekend.

Had a fantastic stay in an Adult Only Hotel right on the beach. Literally 60 seconds from bed to beach. We had paid for half board so buffet dinner and breakfast. I ate a prodigious amount of food. After dinner on Saturday I decided that I could really do with making the most of the gym and checking it out found that they had a bench-rack, Olympic bar and weights. No Squat rack but that was unlikely to be provided.

Worked out Sunday and Monday:

Sunday Workout:

Bench Press: 20kg x 10, 25kg x 10, 40kg x 10, 45kg x 8, 50kg x 8, 55kg x 8, 60kg x 8, 60kg x7, 60kg x 7

OHP: 20kg x 10, 25kg x 8, 30kg x 8, 40kg x 8, 40kg x 8, 40kg x 6

Bench Dips: BW x 15, 15, 20

Chest, Arms and Shoulders were absolutely pumped by the end of this.

Monday Workout:

Deadlifts
    : 40kg x 10, 60kg x 8, 80kg x 8, 100kg x 5, 110kg x 5, 120kg x 5, 130kg x 2, 137.5kg/302.5lbs x 2 PR. Couldn't resist the 300lb attempt.

Bent-Over Row: 20kg x 10, 40kg x 10, 50kg x 8, 50kg x 6

Farmers Walk: Twice around the gym with 25kg plate in each hand. Quiet a good test of the grip strength.

Was tough on the lower back which limited how many sets I did on the Bent-Over Row but a good workout. I limited the reps for the heavy Deadlifts as the gym had hexagonal plates which were awkward to touch down to the floor between reps but fairly easily pulled the two reps for 137.5kg/302.5lbs. No chalk but the bar was very heavily knurled.

No workout today as have a slight sore throat, cough and a little congested. Picked up something while away and thought it best to wait until Friday to get back to the gym.

Weight on the scale today 188.4lbs, only 1 pound above Friday's weight and equal to Wednesday and Thursday last week. I'm surprised it wasn't higher given the amount of food I'd eaten at the weekend.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a great workout while being away and an impressive amount of weights/equipment for a hotel gym.

10. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 40 - Back on It!

Squat
    105kg/231lbs x 5,5,5

Press 48kg/105.6lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 137.5kg/302.5lbs x 5 PR

Chin Ups x 7,5

My girlfriend didn't go to the gym today, still has some of the effects of the cold/virus we picked up earlier in the week. It would have been easy to skip the gym tonight but I was determined to go. There will be times in the future where i can't go, so shouldn't skip sessions unless necessary.

Easing back into the Squats as I've not done any for a week. Press was tough on the very last rep but still managed 3x5 at first attempt. Deadlift, not a PR for weight but it is for reps. Don't have any doubt that I'll pull 315lbs soon.

Weight on the scale this morning 188lbs @ 24.1% bf.

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Good job getting a workout in on vacation. I have found most hotels have either a pulley system or dumbbells. The only exception has been a resort on St Lucia which had a full barbell gym including squat rack.

12. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    It was great to have such a well equipped gym. Even better to finish a session and walk out almost directly onto the beach.

macdiver likes this.
  13. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 41

Working sets:

Squat 107.5kg/236.5lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press 70kg/154lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Deadlift 140kg/308lbs x 5 PR

BW Dips x 12,8

Good Session today. Squat felt good. Moving towards a PR attempt on Friday. Bench Press continues to feel good. Good form and leg-drive really helping. Deadlift requiring full effort and good form but still went up smoothly.

Weight on the scale this morning 188lbs @ 23.6% bf.

14. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 42:

Working Sets:

Squat
    110kg/242lbs x 5,5,5

Press 49kg/107.8lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 142.5kg/313.5lbs x 5 PR

Chin Ups x 8,4,4,2

Another good session today. Everything felt good. Squat was absolutely spot on. PR attempt is go for Friday. Press felt really good also. In fact it felt so good I checked twice that I'd loaded the bar with the correct weight. Deadlift also went up smoothly. I actually finished the three main lifts quicker than usual so did a couple of extra sets of chin-ups albeit for only a low number or reps. I ate a slightly higher amount of carbs than usual today which may have given me a slight edge.

Weight on the scale this morning 188.4lbs @ 26.3%???? bf.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How do you measure the body fat% ? Those body fat scales are not that accurate. If you haven't done it already, usually they can be set on an athlete mode, for someone with more muscle than the average person. I guess the scale interprets the results differently, since maybe it takes into account the extra muscle.

16. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been using my bodyfat scale that I've had for a decade. Don't know where the manual is but I just had a play around, hitting buttons randomly and what looked like a symbol that looked like a runner or sportsperson appeared on the readout. I'll give it a try in that mode tomorrow morning and see if it reads differently.

I realise that the readings themselves are not accurate in general but I do find that when I'm cutting/dieting the reading are at least consistent. The readings don't tend to vary wildly from day to day and a consistent visual record of decreasing body-fat tends to correspond to a steady reduction of body-fat reading on the scale.

On the other hand if I'm bulking or have a period of eating a greater volume of food the reading does start to vary wildly. It may be the presence of extra food in the digestive system perhaps. Currently I'm both eating more and supplementing with creatine. I think it likely that the extra food in the digestive system and the water retention due to the creatine may be throwing things off.

17. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Body-fat scale settings

Brief update re using my body-fat scale.

Scale weight yesterday morning 190.4lbs at 29.1%. Thought I'd try what seems to be the 'athlete mode' as well. The result 10.4% bodyfat.

18. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 43 - Smashed it! Another record setting Friday!

Working sets:

Squat 112.5kg/247.5lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Bench Press 72.5kg/159.5lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Deadlift 145kg/319lbs x 5 PR

BW Dips x 13,10

Bench Dips x 17

A great Friday workout. PRs right across the board. Even a couple of extra dips to top things off. It all felt tough but apart from perhaps on rep on each of the Squat and Bench Press which weren't as clean as they could have been everything else was performed with good form and were good clean lifts.

The Deadlift see's me complete the 315lb Deadlift Challenge just over six years since I joined it. Onward to 350!

I actually had some DOMs in the Lats, Biceps and upper abs since Wednesday and was thinking I'd perhaps pushed hard and hadn't recovered fully but I ate for lifting yesterday and today and I think that really helped.

First Squat PR for three weeks. I think next week I'll work towards an attempt at a 250lb Squat which will be another good Benchmark.

Scale weight this morning 188.8lbs @ 26.2% bf.

#118 Spartan88, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well done!

20. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. It's going better than I ever expected.