1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Graham's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Spartan88, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 25

Working sets:

Squat 95kg/209lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press
    52.5kg/115.5lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 100kg/220lbs x 5

BW Dips x 9

Just realised from looking at my last post that the DOMS have subsided.

All around a good workout but a tough one. Really had to push through on the Squat. Had a fleeting thought about dumping the bar part way through the third set but pushed through. Bench Press now feels challenging. Deadlift felt tough too, perhaps psychological seeing two 20kg plates on each end of the bar.

I've got right back to my pre-holiday diet with the addition of a banana 60-90 minutes before lifting and the addition of a glass of milk tonight when I got home. Small aditions for training days which I hope will support lifting and recovery.

Weight on the scale has been a little erratic falling to 184.4lbs at 22.8% bf yesterday and 185.6lbs at 23.8% today. I'll see how it settles in the coming days.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Good job getting right back on track after vacation.

You are making really good progress with your lifts.

Spartan88 likes this.
  3. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. I felt that getting back on track ASAP would be easier than if I'd waited.

4. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 26

Working sets:

Squat 97.5kg/214.5lbs x 5,5,5

Press 42.5kg/93.5lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 102.5kg/225.5lbs x 5

Chin Ups x 7

That was hard work!

I'm impressed that I got the full 3x5 on the Press. It took a good rest between sets and real effort to get it. I checked back to post #15 Graham's Journal where I recorded a Press of 42kg. I didn't record a PR so my PR must have been more than this. As I was using plates where I was able to make 1kg increments my PR was likely to have been 43 or 44kg. My gym doesn't have fractional/micro plates so I'll be jumping to 45kg/99lbs which I'm fairly sure I've never attempted before.

The Scale: 184.6lbs @ 23% bf this morning, same weight as yesterday.

As mentioned before I'm increasing my food/calorie intake. I don't count calories at all but out of 21 meals across a weekly period I eat virtually the same meal for 17 or 18 of those meals so I know the total calorie intake from week to week is fairly stable.

Last week I added a banana each afternoon on training day and on Friday a 200ml glass of Semi-Skimmed milk each training day after training. As the scale weight has been static or slightly reduced I'm continuing with this with a slight increase to 300ml of milk each training day. As before I'll monitor and tweak if necessary.

#84 Spartan88, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 27

Working sets:

Squat 100kg/220lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press
    55kg/121lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 105kg/231lbs x 5

BW Dips x 11

That Squat was really tough but I am very pleased to have got all the reps. On Friday I'll be putting 102.5kg/225.5lbs on the bar, a weight I've never attempted before. Just one rep will see me complete the 225lb Back Squat Challenge in the Fitness Challenges section. I joined that challenge in 2009 with the hope of completing it in March 2009. I'll finally hit it before the end of March 2019!

I'll also be attempting a PR Press and my planned Deadlift will be just 2.5kg/5.5lbs below my PR.

The extra food/calories seems to be helping my energy levels and recovery.

6. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 28

Working sets:

Squat 102.5kg/225.5lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Press 45kg/99lbs x 5,4,2,3,1 PR

Deadlift 107.5kg/236.5lbs x 5

Chin Ups x 7

That sees me finally join the 225lb Barbell Back Squat Club a challenge I joined in the Fitness Challenges section on February 11th 2009. Didn't imagine it would take over 10 years to get there but by setting myself the challenge it always remained a motivating factor.

That's PRs for both the Squat and the Press. The Squat form wasn't as good as it might have been so I am considering dropping the weight a little and building to a new PR attempt next Friday.

Press was always going to be tough, I've missed reps previously at 37.5kg, 40kg and 42.5kg before getting all the reps on the following workout so I'd have been surprised to get all the reps at 45kg first time. Still a PR though and will be trying again next Wednesday.

Deadlift felt good but could feel the grip getting close to it's limit so will give a mixed grip a try on Monday.

The Scale: 184lbs @ 22.9% bf this morning. Weight has been stable at 184lbs for the last 4 days.

I've added more milk to my diet after lifting, now 500ml on lifting days and added oats to the yogurt I eat each morning partly for the additional calories and for their positive benefit on cholesterol and heart health.

#86 Spartan88, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the PRs!

Spartan88 likes this.
  8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

:bb: Nice lifts. You are progressing fast.

Spartan88 likes this.
  9. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks.

Thanks. It helped that I started light so haven't stalled yet but that is coming.

10. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 29

Working sets:

Squat 100kg/220lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press
    57.5kg/126.5lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 110kg/242lbs x 5

BW Dips x 11,6

As planned I dropped the weight back on the Squat. Still a couple of reps that weren't spot on form wise and had to grind out those reps but I got them so will put 102.5kg back on the bar Wednesday with the aim to attempt another PR on Friday.

Bench is starting to feel more taxing now but got all reps without issue.

Deadlift felt good. Stayed with the double overhand grip and it felt fine. Will stick with the same grip for a while. Will be attempting a PR on Wednesday.

Scale weight this morning 185.8lbs at 23.8% bf. Went out to see some bands on Saturday and ate out because we went out early and also had a few drinks. Dinner out and a few drinks yesterday too as it was Mother's Day here in the UK.

#90 Spartan88, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  11. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 30

Working sets:

Squat 102.5kg/225.5lbs x 5,5,5

Press 45kg/99lbs x 5,5,3,2 PR

Deadlift 112.5kg/247.5lbs x 5 PR

Chin Ups x 7,4

Squat form was probably a little better than last time at the same weight. Will add weight to the bar this Friday and hit a new PR.

Press was another PR getting 15 total reps in only 4 rather than 5 sets. Two missed attempts at the Press counts as stalling in the Starting Strength program and calls for a deload. I'll be dropping back to 40kg/88lbs next time I attempt it and build back up. Ultimately I think slower progression/smaller increases in bar weight will be required. I'm planning on buying some fractional plates to take with me to the gym.

Deadlift again felt good and a new PR achieved.

Added a quick extra set of 4 chin-ups as I had a couple of spare minutes at the end of the session.

Scale weight 184.4lbs this morning as the weekend's weight gain melts away. I'll be ignoring the bf reading of 24.6% as it's so far from recent readings as to be an unreliable reading.

#91 Spartan88, Apr 3, 2019
  12. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 31

Working sets:

Squat 105kg/231lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Bench Press
    60kg/132lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 115kg/253lbs x 5 PR

BW Dips x 12

Despite the PRs I didn't particularly enjoy tonight's workout. Stomach felt a bit upset this afternoon which led to some concerns, especially at the bottom of the squat.

Think the decision to drop back and ramp up the squat across the week worked well and will probably do so again next week.

By the time I'd done one set of Dips I was ready to leave the gym so didn't try a second set but was happy to manage 12 reps.

Scale weight this morning was 183.6lbs at 22.8% bf.

My aim these last two weeks has been to increase scale weight slowly so have increased calorie intake. Scale weight has continued to fall so there is clearly plenty of room to increase calorie intake further so will be doing so slowly until such point that the scale weight starts edging up.

#92 Spartan88, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  13. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 32

Working sets:

Squat 102.5kg/225.5lbs x 5,5,5

Press 45kg/99lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Deadlift 117.5kg/258.5lbs x 5 PR

Chin Ups x 7,5

Wasn't looking forward to today's workout. This morning I looked at my programming spreadsheet and the thought of those squats followed by the Press which I'd missed reps on twice before and the heavy Deads gave me a mild feeling of dread. Got worse once I was in the gym as the Power Racks were both taken for 10 minutes before I got into them and my girlfriend is rather strict with the one hour session time.

As it turns out the pressure to get on and 'get it done' meant I did just that. Squat felt much better at 102.5kg than it had the previous two times at that weight. I'd checked and Starting Strength gives you three shots at a particular weight before officially a stall and so I attempted the Press at 45kg for the third time and it went up far easier than expected. Deadlift again felt good. Managed to get an extra chin-up done too.

Although I did get the Press at this attempt I believe the time has come for smaller weight progressions so have ordered some fractional plates. Will be receiving 8 x 0.25kg plates which will allow me to progress in 1kg increments for now (rather than the minimum 2.5kg that the gyms own plates allow) and potentially as small as 0.5kg increments in future if required.

As I was last week I was out for food, drinks and music on Saturday (managed to get some cheap tickets to see some bands) and another meal out on Sunday. Some good eating (not so much the drinking) may have helped recovery somewhat.

Scale weight was up as expected to 185.2lbs at 23.6% bf.

Continuing to slowly add calories and protein to the diet to aid progress on the lifts. I'm aiming to get as much benefit from linear progression as possible with Starting Strength over the next few months.

#93 Spartan88, Apr 8, 2019
  14. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 33

Working sets:

Squat 105kg/231lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press 62.5kg/137.5lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Deadlift 120kg/264lbs x 5 PR

BW Dips x 12,8

I was thinking as I walked back to my car from the gym today about how I've managed to go past so many previous PRs in the gym. Being disciplined and the enforced discipline I get from my girlfriend attending the gym with me has really paid off. I've realised that I've never previously recorded a Bench Press at 62.5kg/137.5lbs so this appears to be a PR. However, I've also noticed this thread Starting Strength - What Next? where I've recorded a 50kg/110lbs Press so my recent Presses have not been the PRs I believed they were.

At least the lost PRs on the Press have been replaced by a PR on the Bench. Fractional plates are waiting in an Amazon Locker for me to collect tomorrow so I'll be all set for working my way towards a new Press PR in the coming weeks

Scale weight 184.6lbs at 23.3%bf this morning.

Have been examining my diet recently and will shortly post up a sample of my diet. I've very much avoided counting calories/macros up to now and concentrated instead on eating well. Going forward I feel it will be useful to have an idea of some specifics re my diet in order to make informed changes if needed in future.

15. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:

Fractional Plates - 0.25kg x 8

These should be perfect for now increasing my Press in 1kg/2.2lbs rather than 2.5kg/5.5lb jumps.

16. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 34

Working sets:

Squat 107.5kg/236.5lbs x 5,5,5 PR

Press 46kg/101.2lbs x 4,3,4,2,2

Deadlift 122.5kg/269.5lbs x 5 PR

Chin Ups x 7,5

Not a great workout today despite the new PRs for Squat and Deadlift. Wasn't in work today so it may be that the daily routine was a bit of or that the little bit of work mowing the lawn had an effect.

Squat was very tough, really had to push the reps and I was red in the face at the end of each set.

Micro-loading on the Press didn't have the desired effect but I already noticed that my shoulders felt a bit strained by the start of my work sets so I think there was an issue already present. I was trialling using the 'Bulldog Grip' that I've seen recommended to aid the Press and Bench Press. Don't know whether this helped or hindered.

Deadlift wasn't bad but a huge effort required to grip the bar. Form wasn't great for the last two reps.

Scale weight 184.2lbs @ 23.1% bf this morning.

17. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 35

Working sets:

Squat 105kg/231lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press 65kg/143lbs x 5,3,3,3,1 PR

Deadlift 125kg/275lbs x 5 PR

BW Dips x 10,7

Bit of a mixed bag this evening. Busy in the gym so I asked someone in the squat rack if I could 'mix-in'. This proved to be quite useful as he seems to know what he's doing. I've seen this person Deadlifting 160kg/352lbs and I'm fairly sure I've seen him benching 100kg/220lbs, both with good form, so he has some decent lifts.

Usefully he checked my form on the Squat and after I missed some reps on the Bench he offered to spot me.

Squat felt good.

Disappointed to miss reps on the Bench but it was a PR lift so shouldn't be too disappointed.

Maintaining grip on the Deadlift last Friday was tough so decided to try a mixed grip for the work sets and it went up very smoothly. I don't think I ever got near my potential in the Deadlift before as it's now a full 15kg/33lbs higher than the last time I ran Starting Strength 6 years ago.

Dropped a couple of reps on the Dip as I was a bit rushed as I'd run over the hour gym session and my girlfriend was itching to get home. I put the extra time spent down to how busy the gym was and extra recovery time needed. My girlfriend says I was too busy 'yacking' with my new 'gym friend'.

Weight on the scale this morning 184.6lbs at 22.7%bf.

#97 Spartan88, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice that the person was accommodating and helped out.

19. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    He was even helping out another young lad with his Deadlift form and recording him some videos while I got a lot of my Squats done.

Probably like any gym there are a few groups of young lads who tend to waste a lot of time and, to be honest, get in the way. There's naturally a couple of idiots. There is also a core group who really seem to know what they're doing. There's someone I've seen doing some Power Cleans that I'd love to get some tips from. There's also a group of young lads who also seem to be trying to learn a lot. I'm hoping that getting to know a few faces will help with mixing in on the equipment, form checks, spotting etc.

20. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 36

Working sets:

Squat 107.5kg/236.5lbs x 5,5,5

Press 46kg/101.2lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 127.5kg/280.5lbs x 5 PR

Chin Ups x 7,5

Squat naturally felt heavy (it's my PR weight and reps) but I was nowhere near as strained as I was with the same weight last Friday. I know I've deviated from the Starting Strength program but I really feel that dropping the weight each week and ramping it back up to a new PR attempt is working for me. The weight keeps edging up and the form improves whilst doing so.

Plenty of rest between sets of the Press but I got my 5,5,5 reps ( it wasn't easy) where last Friday I wasn't even close.

Deadlift keeps going up. Gym had run out of paper towels from the dispensers so sweaty hands made for a difficult grip but a 300lb Deadlift is in sight.

I snoozed my alarm one too many times this morning and I had litterally 20 minutes to get showered, dress, make my lunch (which I'd forgotten to do last night), feed the cat and get out the door. Consequently, I forgot to get on the scale.