1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Graham's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Spartan88, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Session 17

Working sets:

Squat 80
    kg/176bs x 5,5,5

Bench Press 45kg/99lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 80kg/176lbs x 5

BW Dips x 6

The lifting is getting more taxing and taking longer now that rest periods between sets are becoming slightly extended and that is limiting the time I have for some brief cardio after.

Just over 10 mins running on the treadmill to finish. I always have a goal of burning 111 calories on the treadmill at the gym. Absolutely no logical reason for this, it's just the number I hit on the first visit. As my time after lifting reduces week on week I find my self increasing the pace to hit that mark. I spend only 1 hour at the gym. I set that as the limit early on as we do a quick food shop after and my girlfriend gets a lift home from me after. At some point I simply won't have time for the cardio.

Went for an Indian meal Saturday night but made a conscious effort to order 'healthier' options. No side dishes or Naan bread and just the one beer. I'll usually leave an Indian restaurant absolutely stuffed but was pleased by my application of willpower. I did have a nice big piece of cake at my two youngest nephew's birthday party on Sunday but if I have to be in a hall full of screaming 2 to 4 year old's then cake is my deserving reward.

190 lbs on the scale this morning

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the explanation about burning 111 calories on the treadmill; I was going to ask. :lol:

Your lifting numbers are moving up nicely. :tucool:

Spartan88 likes this.
  3. Spartan88

Thanks.

I can really feel that I was lifting yesterday.

I have a slight issue with the Bench Press. I didn't need to Bench in the Power Rack with the spotter bars yesterday but as the Bench Racks were taken I did so. I find that if i set the spotters high enough for safety the bar touches them before it touches my chest, set them one stop lower then I can lower the bar to my chest but they're too low to protect me from dropping the weight. I just can't get my chest high enough.

Weight on the scale this morning was 188.4lbs. A full 18lbs lower than when I started.

#63 Spartan88, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  4. Spartan88

Session 18

Working sets:

Squat 82.5kg/181.5lbs x 5,5,5

Press 37.5kg/82.5lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 82.5kg/181.5lbs x 5

Chin Ups x 6

Just over 10 minutes running on the treadmill to finish.

Was pleased to get the reps for the press today having missed one on the final working set last time. Made sure I had plenty of rest between sets. Next pressing is going to be tough with an additional 2.5kg/5.5lbs on the bar. No micro plates available.

Squat was hard work but I think form was really good.

I've been following this Youtube Channel: Alan Thrall

He seems to know what he's talking about and the videos are some of the most informative I've seen.

Weight on the scale this morning was 188.4lbs

#64 Spartan88, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  5. Spartan88

Session 19

Working sets:

Squat 85kg/187lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press
    47.5kg/104.5lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 85kg/187lbs x 5

BW Dips x 6

I had rather hoped that I'd have been Squatting and Dead-lifting body-weight today but it transpired that my weight crept up to 189.2lbs from 188.4lbs yesterday. Not sure why that occurred, diet has been very strict. I shall be Squatting and Dead-lifting body-weight on Monday.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The weight change may just be temporary water retention.

7. Spartan88

Most probably. Was down to 188.2lbs Saturday and Sunday and 186.6lbs today.

I mentioned back in post #58 that I was aiming for 185lbs and was then going to re-evaluate. It's a somewhat arbitrary target but I think it will be a good point to re-evaluate. I'm hoping to hit 185lbs before Sunday as I have a holiday booked for next week so it will be nice to hit a goal and then relax a little.

8. Spartan88

Session 20

Working sets:

Squat 87.5kg/192.5lbs x 5,5,5

Press 40kg/88lbs x 5,5,3,2

Deadlift 87.5kg/192.5lbs x 5

Chin Ups x 5

Wasn't surprised to miss a couple of reps for the Press. I'd previously missed a rep my first Session pressing at 37.5kg/82.5lbs and got 3x5 the following pressing session.

The Squat is getting tough now too but I actually think I squatted deeper today than previously and the form was good.

Mini-goal achieved - Body weight Squat and Deadlift.

9. Spartan88

I'll briefly mention that since an earlier post where i mentioned my body-fat scale wasn't working and I intended to buy a new scale. I have instead fixed my current scale.

I'd dismantled it and found that one of the wires to the user selection button had detached. Didn't want to chuck it out for what looked like a fairly simple fix so I instead bought a soldering iron kit. I managed to break the very thin wire on my first attempt at a fix so instead de-soldered the wire completely and replaced it with a new piece of wire. Now works as it did before and any recording from the scale will be consistent with my previous readings.

10. Spartan88

Session 21

Working sets:

Squat 90kg/198lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press
    50kg/110lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 90kg/198lbs x 5

BW Dips x 7

Previously struggled to get a decent set-up for the Bench Press in the Power Rack. By using a different bench and raising it up on two metal plates (not weight plates but a rectangular plate that the gym uses under some of its equipment to protect the floor) I managed to get a good set up where the spotters are high enough to protect me but low enough to allow me to lower the bar to my chest. Did need to get a good arch in the back to get my chest up but I think in doing that by driving my feet into the floor I got a more stable set-up.

Weight on the scale this morning was 187.6lbs.

#70 Spartan88, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  11. Spartan88

Session 22

Working sets:

Squat 92.5kg/203.5lbs x 5,5,5

Press 40kg/88lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 92.5kg/203.5lbs x 5

Chin Ups x 5 (very almost 6)

After my second working set of squats another gym user came over and asked if I was happy to have some feedback on my squat. He actually asked if I was "happy to take criticism". I've seen him in the gym a lot and he appears to know what he's doing so obviously I accepted the feedback. He said my stance looked quite narrow and I might try to widen it a little. I set up under the bar as normal for the third set and noticed that I where I point my toes out a little I was setting the outside of my toes at shoulder width rather than my heals. I widened my stance and felt more stable.

Got all the reps on my press this session after failing last time. I did leave plenty of time between sets. On my last set, because I was quite hyped to hit all the reps I seemed to take a bigger breath in on the first rep. This pushed my chest out and up and the weight seemed to go up easier. I did the same for all the reps and it seemed to make a big difference to the lift.

Weight on the scale this morning was 186.6lbs after a couple of days where it rose to 187.6lbs. BF 23.4%. I'm including BF% as I'm going to be keeping a closer eye on that rather than just the scale weight.

Mini-goal achieved - Squat and Deadlift both > 200lbs.

12. Spartan88

A break and a change in emphasis

I'm about to take a week off from the gym. Will be heading to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands on Sunday for 7 nights. Last year at around this time I spent a week in Gran Canaria, also in the Canary Islands and it was a perfect late winter break. Daytime temperature between 22 and 23C (72/73F) and nightime 15C (59F) compared to 9 to 13C (48/55F) and 3 to 6C (37/43F) at night here.

I won't be bingeing on junk food while I'm away but I will be relaxing the diet, eating some good food and drinking while I'm away. I had a few days of very relaxed diet in January and got straight back to shedding pounds afterwards so I've got a plan to shed any excessive weight gain if it should occur.

Hopefully I won't need to return to a cutting diet/calorie deficit as we've got some bike riding and hiking planned along with the days by the pool/on the beach reading/relaxing and there is a small gym/fitness studio with a treadmill, bike etc which I might use.

Although I'm still making progress on my lifts I am feeling the effects of the calorie deficit this week. My recovery between sets at the gym is taking longer and I've found recovery tougher between workouts. I've been finding less time for the cardio at the end of each workout.

My plan when I return is to drop the cardio and up my carb intake on training days pre and possibly post workout. I'm going to do this slowly with the intention of helping to aid my lifting and recovery whilst monitoring weight/body-fat gain. All being well I can continue to progress with my lifting and hit some of my lifting goals whilst keeping the body-fat in check.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have a great vacation!

Spartan88 likes this.
  14. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I force myself to be active on vacations including using the fitness center. It helps justify the tropical drinks while lying in the sand. :D. Have a great vacation. The Canary Islands are on my bucket list to visit. Supposed to be beautiful.

Spartan88 likes this.
  15. Spartan88

Ebike Ventura E-bike Tours

Haven't used the gym yet. Walked for around 4 hours around town on Monday and went for around a 45km/28mile ebike ride yesterday (in the link above if it works). The bikes are assisted by an electric motor which is definitely required on the steepest climbs and on sand. I kept the assistance low or off on the flat.

16. Spartan88

So, total number of times I used the gym while on holiday....Zero!

Had a great week with fantastic weather. Hot enough to sit around the pool or on the beach but not so hot and enough of a cooling breeze that walking around or even on the bike ride you never really broke a sweat.

Enjoyed a lot of food that I've not had for a while (Pizza, chips/fries, fried chicken, bacon, bread etc etc and enjoyed plenty of beer/cocktails/wine. Ate out every night and enjoyed post dinner cocktails in the local Rock Cafe with live cover bands most nights.Probably the only self imposed rule that we had was Ice cream during the day or dessert after dinner, not both.

As mentioned above the weeks main activities broke down into:

Monday - 4 hour walk around town
    Tuesday - 45km/28 mile ebike ride.
    Wednesday - Almost total relaxation by the pool. Some swimming in the pool.
    Thursday - Visited Isla de Lobos Lobos Island - Wikipedia and trekked around it for approx 4 hours including climbing the extinct volcano. Very sore feet after walking up and down the very rocky volcano path. Decided then that the treadmill at the resort wouldn't be getting any use.
    Friday - Walked for around 3 hours total out to the Dunes of Corralejo Corralejo Dunes - 2019 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with Photos) - Corralejo, Spain | TripAdvisor and back. Some swimming in the sea. Spent most of the day there.
    Saturday - Total relaxation at the local beach. Some swimming in the sea. A few drinks at a rock/metal night later in the evening.

The net result of all of this on the scale this morning is that having weighed 185.8lbs @ 23.4% bf on Saturday 09/03/2019, today the scale reads 186.2lbs @ 23.3% bf.

Looks like I pretty much matched the extra calorie intake with the walking, swimming cycling. A very good place to be as I go back to the gym this week.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like a wonderful vacation and only gaining .4 of a pound while away is victory in my book. :tucool:

18. Spartan88

I'm not sure I could have wished for anything better than that.

19. Spartan88

Session 23

Working sets:

Squat 90kg/198lbs x 5,5,5

Bench Press
    50kg/110lbs x 5,5,5

Deadlift 95kg/209lbs x 5

BW Dips x 9

As I've had a week break I decided to drop back the weight slightly to my second to last performed session. The idea was to repeat my last two sessions today and Wednesday and move ahead further on Friday. Was a bit out of my regular sleeping and eating pattern getting up a little later and eating later today. Went to the gym later than normal but still a little too soon after eating and didn't feel like I had a regular amount of energy for the squats. This had cleared by the time I came to Deadlift and I decided to carry forward with the weight progression to 95kg/209lbs. Felt good and managed 9 x BW Dips as well.

As planned I dropped the cardio. Overall diet was no different today but from Wednesday on lifting days my plan is a very small tweak literally just eating a banana a couple of hours before lifting. I'm going to see how this small change and the dropped cardio affects things over the next 2/3 weeks and re assess.

20. Spartan88

Session 24

Working sets:

Squat 92.5kg/203.5lbs x 5,5,5

Press 42.5kg/93.5lbs x 5,5,3,2

Deadlift 97.5kg/214.5lbs x 5

Chin Ups x 6

Had some mild DOMS in hamstrings, glutes and shoulders yesterday and today, no doubt due to the week break.

The Squat is feeling tough.

Felt as though I was going to get all the reps on the Press but just didn't drive the bar up hard enough from the bottom position.

Deadlift continued to feel good and just managed to get a sixth Chin-up.

Overall pleased with workout as I had a poor night's sleep last night, reason unknown. Managed only approx 4 hours sleep so will be hoping for better sleep between now and Friday.

185.4lbs @ 23.3% bf on the scale this morning so the 0.4lbs holiday gain + a further 0.4lbs gone.