1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Graham's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Spartan88, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 91:

A Squat 120kg/264lbs 5, 5 117.5lbs 258.5lbs x 5

B1 Bench Press 82kg/180.4lbs
    x 5, 5, 5 - PR

B2 Back Extension 10kg x 8, 8 5kg x 8

C1 Dips x 16, 12, 11

C2 Decline Dumbell Bench Press 14kg x 16, 16, 20

D Dumbell Shoulder Press 10kg x 14

E EZ-Bar Bicep Curl 16kg x 20, 14

Good solid workout. Had loads of time to get it done, hence the couple of additional excises tagged onto the end. My partner is out with friends this evening so I had all the time I wanted.

Scale weight this morning 188.2 lbs

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

They say today might be the Brexit day where it finally gets settled. Good luck.

3. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Unfortunately, I foresee the day the UK 'Brexits' as being the start rather than the end of the process. It appears likely the UK will then spend many years making agreements and trade deals with third (non-EU) countries. There's also every chance that leaving the EU will see the break-up of the UK in the coming years. I'm personally glad that Saturday saw a decision reached that at the very least delays Brexit so that the agreement reached can be scrutinised.

4. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 92:

A Squat 120kg/264lbs
    x 5, 5, 5

B Press 55kg/121lbs x 5, 5, 5 - PR

C Deadlift 152.5kg/335.5lbs
    x 1, 142.5kg/313.5lbs x 4

D1 Chin-up x 10, 8, 7

D2 Suitcase Carry
    6 circuits 24kg x 1

D3 Dumbell Shoulder Press 12kg x 16, 16, 16

Equalled my previous best weight/reps in the Squat, setting up a PR attempt for this Wednesday. Another PR on the Press. Deadlift moving back towards my previous PR. Only got one circuit of the Suitcase Carry as it was time to leave before I was quite finished.

5. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 93:

A Squat 122.5kg/269.5lbs 5, 120kgs/264lbs x 5, 5 - PR

B1 Bench Press 83kg/182.6lbs
    x 5, 5, 4, 1 - PR

B2 Back Extension 10kg x 8, 8 5kg x 8

C1 Weighted Dips 5kg x 10, 10, 10

C2 Incline Dumbell Bench Press 14kg x 16, 16, 16

Good workout. PR on the Squat. PR also on the Bench although I was fairly certain I would get the fifth rep of the 3rd set so re-racked and completed a single to finish. It's been a very good run since my last missed rep on the Bench. There was a dip belt left beside the dipping station so decided to do some weighted dip for the first time. Will mix them in in future as they should be beneficial. For a change did some Incline Dumbell Bench Press (rather than decline).

Very happy with where my number have gotten to. Mostly exceeding my previous PRs apart from the Deadlift which is almost there. Will be taking a break from max lifts for the next week and a half though. I'm aware that I injured my back at around these Squat and Deadlift numbers a few months ago.

On 5th November we're heading to Japan for 15 nights (17 nights including travel). My girlfriend is worried that I'm going to injure myself in the gym and either jeopardise the trip or be uncomfortable, especially whilst travelling. I've assured her I'm taking care but I'm worried that if I do injure myself I'll never hear the end of it. To be honest I'd also rather not by affected by injury for the kind of time we'll be on a plane so to that end I'll be dropping the weight and upping the reps, changing things up a little for the remainder of this week and next.

I'll then very likely be three weeks without gym attendance. I think we will have some access to gyms in at least some of the hotels but we are unlikely to have time to use them due to a very packed schedule. I expect we will do a very significant amount of walking whilst away.

#225 Spartan88, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the PR's!

I hope you don't have a middle seat on your flight(s) to Japan.

7. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    With two of us travelling in economy, one of us will get the middle seat unless we're split across an aisle. We almost certainly won't pay for seat selection. We're hoping for three seats between the two of us. We are flying via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific who have been suffering reduced passenger numbers following the civil disorder in Hong Kong so the flight might perhaps not be fully booked.

#227 Spartan88, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow, having to pay for seat selection; I've never had to do that, but if it works for Cathay Pacific it may be adopted by other airlines.

In response to your mention a couple of posts ago about not exercising while away, even if you don't have gym access there are plenty of hotel room things you can do such as push up, squats, ab exercises that won't take too much time.

9. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you have a frequent flier status or normally travel in a cabin above (base) economy?

Can't think I've flown with an airline who didn't charge for seat selection if you are booked in the lowest fare class. Cathay Pacific, British Airways, Norwegian, Condor all charge unless you book a higher fare class.

I suppose depending how you look at it, you're either paying more for seat selection or you can save by booking the lowest fare and give-up the option of picking a seat and accept what you're given.

The European low fare operators Ryanair and Easyjet have only one fare class and always charge for seat selection.

If you book a seat with Ryanair (Europe's largest carrier by passenger numbers), if you are a couple and you don't pay to reserve at least one seat you are almost guaranteed to be split up. My partner and I have sat separately on our last three flights.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I fly economy, usually with United, JetBlue, or Delta. I don't fly often enough to accumulate frequent flyers miles of any consequence and don't belong to any of the "clubs" where you get access to a lounge in the airport away from the general population. With the exception of Ryanair, I've never flown the airlines you mentioned and on our Ryanair flights between Galway and London wifey and I chose not to pay for assigned seating.

11. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    It's not very long since Ryanair started splitting up passengers, probably two to three years ago. Every other airlines flight I've taken, we've been sat together. The positive about flying with them is if you forgo any extras like seat selection, checked baggage etc you can with them for very little. Flew from London to Trieste, Italy a couple of years ago for about £18/$23. Even better, the flight back from Pula, Croatia with EasyJet was about £13/$17. 2000 mile return flight was half the price of the 40 mile taxi to/from the airport.

I will try to do a few bodyweight exercises in the hotel and attempt to get in the gym. From the looks of the itinerary we're building though, we might have trouble just finding time to sleep.

#231 Spartan88, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  12. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Looks like I forgot to mention exercise in my Friday posts. That's because there wasn't any. I've picked up a cold. Nothing extreme but it did prompt me to take the day off work on Friday. Didn't even get dressed, just slobbed around in my dressing gown all day. Mostly recovered but will see how I'm doing tomorrow prior to committing to the gym tomorrow evening.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Funny you should mention the price disparity of taxis, trains, etc. from the airport versus the price of a Ryanair ticket. When we flew into London from Galway, IIRC it was about USD 20-25 a person with the exchange rate being about 1.7 at the time, so about 34 to 42. Our train ride from Stansfield into central London was about half that amount, rookie mistake considering we had virtually no luggage, and the friends that we were visiting suggested we take the bus for much less as the beginning leg of our return to Ireland. So we did.

Hope you're feeling better.

14. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Session 94:

A Squat 100kg/220lbs 8, 8, 8

B1 Close Grip Bench Press 60kg/132lbs
    x 8, 8, 8

B2 Back Extension x 12, 12, 12

C1 Weighted Dips 5kg x 10, 9, 11

C2 Incline Dumbell Bench Press 10kg x 20, 20, 20

A somewhat unsatisfying workout. Just doing my normal workout with lower weight and higher reps wasn't very interesting. I think I should have just thrown something together and simply did what I felt like doing. I might do that on Friday. I'm unlikely to make it to the gym before then as I'm busy on Tuesday and Thursday and on Wednesday I have a team building afternoon with colleagues at work. We're going out for lunch and some drinks and I think it will be a good for the whole team if we just relax and have a few drinks. I won't be worrying about going to the gym after.

15. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Didn't manage to get to the gym last Wednesday as I had a team building event so didn't take gym gear to work. Turns out we finished early and I could have made it. Didn't make Friday either as forgot my trainers/sneakers/gym shoes. Managed a few press-ups and bodyweight squats this morning as now in Tokyo. Tuesday/Wednesday was an approx 26 hour journey from my house to the Tokyo hotel so was absolutely shattered. Did a bit of sightseeing today. Will sleep well tonight and hopefully wake up refreshed tomorrow.

16. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

26 hours of travel is brutal. Have a great trip.

Spartan88 likes this.
  17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Have a great trip. I used to watch this Youtube channel "Beat the Bush". He had posted some video's from his trip to Japan (he is a frugal traveler). There are about 8-10 short video's of his trip. You might enjoy them. I linked one.

18. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. Noticed a few of those things. Have to remember the escalator etiquette as in London you stand on the right, walk on the left. The lack of trash cans/rubbish bins is so noticeable yet the place so clean. In London you'll find people throwing rubbish on the floor even if a bin is 3 feet away. Toilets either seem to be super hi-tech or a hole in the ground!