1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

GPP training

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by droopy172, Jan 8, 2007.

1. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

For those of you who don't know GPP is General Physical Preparedness training. I was looking into this and was wondering what some of you all do if done at all. I've done a google search and see that their are many different ways but I was looking for something along the lines of doing at home since it is currently winter in Chicago I cannot train outdoors. Our gym doesn't have much space either and its usually crowded. I wish I can do a sled pull or a tire flip as i heard those work your entire body and improve your squats and deadlifts by a lot. I like to hear your recommendations and feedback thanx!

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

3. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

I saw that article but I was looking for something along the lines at doing indoor at home, I don't have a pull up bar so sad and I have a low ceiling. Just wondering what other options are there or if someone has a nice routine.

4. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Check out my journal. I do band work GPP and toss in cardio sometimes. BTW, winter is great for GPP if you ever get a lot of snow. In Chicago I somehow doubt it, but shoveling people's driveways can get you some good practice and some extra cash to boot. I would desire to do more work on tire and with sledges, but I don't want to put the time and effort in to making it happen right now.

You can get a complete set of bands from some online stores as well as ebay.

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I do what I'd consider this with stuff like timed thrusters, timed one armed snatches, or timed squat thrusts. Dumbbell swings, wood choppers, or step ups would probably work, too.

For instance, a recent workout was 4 two minute sets of squat thrusts (burpees) with 2 50 lb DBs with 2 minute rest intervals. Get as many reps in that 2 minute period as you can. That will definitely get your blood pumping, and is more fun to me than "cardio" to get the energy systems going (just don't do this the day before heavy deads...leason learned).

I actually like doing one armed snatches (alternating each rep) a bit better, but I've been working around a shoulder.

6. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Awesome I like the idea of using bands as that will provide some resistance thanx betastas! I like MannishBoy's routine as well sounds pretty grueling. I think I might go somewhere in the lines of getting some bands, to workout my weakpoints like curls, do some jumping jacks, half burpees cuz my ceiling is too low to jump up in the air, push ups and mountain climbers or lat pulls with bands. Cool keep the ideas coming I wanna see how creative some people get!

7. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons for GPP is to increase work capacity and recovery so you could also take alook at Waterbury's booster shots where he has you doing 100 reps with %30 of your 1RM.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1063194

Mobility work is also a great idea to get the heart rate going.

8. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That's what I was thinking.

Why not get right out there in the snow and do sled work and tire flips? :)

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well I do stuff that is pretty similar, but I don't really break it out into separate training. Lots of exercises are great for this but are considered orthodox, like jump squats. A whole lot of my "cardio lifting" addresses this stuff - some of those are pretty orthodox like one-arm snatches.

10. Yips

Yips Well-Known Member

When you say 'cardio lifting' Zen, do mean lifting with minimal rest between sets or exercises, and also utilising high rep ranges?

Is this 'cardio lifting' the norm for you and you PT? Or do you happen to mix it up?

END HIJACK!

11. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I use lifting for cardio a lot. It doesn't actually have to have minimal rest. When the rest isn't minimal it's more like interval work. I have several flavors of lifts that work well for cardio, some are heavy some are lighter, and use more reps.

I always use a heart monitor while exercising so I can tell what the effect of the cardio lifting is.

Simple and effective is heavy bench step-ups. You don't really need long sets but it's not that hard if that's the goal. The step-up is like the granddaddy of all cardio lifting.

But I've used other things, like lunges with dumbell curl and press, single stiff legged dumbell deadlifts with (or without) curl and press on inverted bosu. Working in sets of pushups (typically on a medicine ball) can get the heart rate up.

Long medium-heavy sets, such as the long squat sets of 225# are fine for cardio.

If you look through my journal (see the link in the signature) you can see many examples, quite a few of which have explicit heart rate and Calorie information.

It's quite normal for me, but since it's cardio, I don't do much of that with the trainer. One thing I do use the trainer for is sets of lunges with medicine ball catch, twist and throw. Medicine ball work can burn tons of Calories.

12. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

I throw my kids on the sleigh and pull them up the hill for sliding. They get a ride out of the deal and I get a heart attack and GPP work all in one blow :p

Actually your legs get one helluva pump doing that a couple of times in a row. The incline throws an interesting dynamic into the mix.:cry:

13. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Sadfully here in Chicago its not snowing?!? Its just cold. Otherwise i'd do the sled or run where there's a lot of snow to wallow in. I was reading your journal zen sounds interesting on how you incorporate lifting as cardio. I was gonna do a similar route and do the booster shots that canada suggested along with some cardio on the gauntlet or rowing machine. I dunno if I can lift heavy like that on a rest day as i'm doing Waterbury method right now and it takes a toll on me especially the 10x3 set.

14. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

GPP can be done with almost anything.

For example, if you have a stack of heavy weights at home, pick up 45 lbers, carry them from spot A on the floor overhead to spot B on the floor and stack them there. Once you've stacked them up, move them back again as fast as possible. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Works with dumbbells, cinderblocks, big rocks, etc..

15. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

So I tried this yesterday for my chest and biceps since those are underdeveloped for me. My god is this painful! :spank: At first I thought hmm this is too light so I added 10 more pounds boy was I wrong I ended up taking it off cuz I couldn't nearly do 50 reps more like in the 30 range. 10 seconds seems a lot shorter than I thought I wanted to rest at least 30-60 seconds between failures. Anyhow due to the short rests and fast lifting it kept my heart rate up pretty good, I also did some mild incline treadmill cardio and my ass was kicked after 5 min of light jogging I couldn't move my upper body or else I think i would've puked. Boy did I sleep well that night.

16. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I done a few booster shots myself on my arms and upperback. It really gets a good pump going for those addicted to the "pump". :)

I wouldn't go to failure thou, it might hinder your recovery for the WM.