1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Good self-tanners

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Trinity, Apr 22, 2004.

1. kirby

kirby Well-Known Member

In my area we have two kinds of spray tans. Mystic Tan and Magic Tan. I went for the Magic Tan b/c it's close to my house. Not cheap, but I went once & am a decent golden-y color. It's kind of like a stand-up shower, only you get misted with a tanning solution, not water. You have to put cream on places like your palm and finger webs...I managed to miss the inside of my thumb & wrist. Kind of looks a little wierd there, but I'll know what to do differently next time. I'll post again when the color starts to fade more...

Kirby

2. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll be interested to hear how effective it was.

Marcus :cool:

3. kirby

kirby Well-Known Member

Magic Tan update...
    Sunday - got it done
    M - Color completely set, definitely not orange!
    T - Color on my face a little lighter, the rest of my body looks similar
    W - Color on my face pretty much gone, the rest of my body is a little lighter
    Th/F - pretty light
    Sat - gone

I think the tan on my face left quicker than my body because I use a cleanser with salisylic (SP?) acid and then apply a glycolic cream - both which have exfoliant properties. While this is good for my acne, it's not good when the first layer of your skin is the part with the color!

I have to use my remaining "free" UV + Magic Tan by Wed. I'll update on how the combo works out. Next up for my experiment is Mystic Tan :)

Kirby

4. U2rocks

U2rocks Well-Known Member

how do u guys get your self tanner on evenly? i've tried aveda, and even exfoliated before but it still came out a little streaky.

5. kirby

kirby Well-Known Member

I've been posting about the spray-on tanning booths - my experience with the lotion-y self-tanners hasn't been that good. With the spray booth, you get quite an even tan...

Update. On Tuesday I used the second part of my $35 deal - the UV (lay down bed, 6mins) + Magic (spray/shower, sunless) Tan. I also decided to buy their "prep" gel for $20. Remember, I'm doing this for upcoming special events (bridesmaid), probably not for an "everyday" tan. The prep gel is an aloe vera base. I really need to look at the other ingredients, b/c it may just be aloe vera. In which case, I'm a dumba$$. The girls at the tanning salon said that everyone who does the Magic Tan uses the prep gel. My tan does seem to be more even and darker, but I've also learned more about how to stand/apply the barrier cream to my hands/etc. I'll let you know if it fades quicker this time...but I'll be outside a lot this weekend, so it might not be a very fair comparison. So much for the scientific method. :o I am a dork.

Kirby

6. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

Two days ago I tried some Loreal self tanner called Sublime Bronze. It worked really well. It's tinted, so it was easy to avoid streaks because I could see where it was going on and how even it was. And the next day, my husband and I were marveling at how real it looked. It smelled bad, but not as bad as Nutrogena.

7. griff

griff Well-Known Member

I use tanner on my face simply because I have very pale skin - I'm just trying to get a more natural colour, not a tan as such. I use a VERY mild brand from a UK dept store called Marks and Spencer, and it cost £7 (which is one of the cheapest on the market, and it looks like its gonna last ages).

I did my research on ladies beauty sites :) and i got a pretty good result first time with no help. It seems the secret is:

1. Exfoliate
    2. Shave (if necessary ;) )
    3. Moisturise
    4. apply self tan
    5. Wait a good few hours

Don't exfoliate or use any strong skin cleansing stuff until your next tan (3-4 days for me).

hope this helps

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I used an Avon self-tanner this weekend. I tested it on Saturday on my stomach, and the results were great, so the whole body got done on Sunday.

Face turned out great (different product, actually, but same brand) and I thought the body looked okay until the next day, when I noticed all sorts of streaks. It takes more than a couple of hours to fully develop.

Streaks were mostly on my forearms. I didn't have an exfoliate, so I just scrubbed myself with a washcloth before I applied. It wasn't enough. The elbows especially were really bad.

For anyone else that makes this mistake, I think the best remedy is to try to scrub off the tanner. I first tried by applying more tanner, and this didn't help. So, in frustration, I attacked my arms with the washcloth (I ordered an exfoliating cream yesterday and will come in the next Avon order). It seems to have worked. I could actually see the tan peeling off. Streaks are gone, and besides that, my arms are softer now. :lol:

The instructions are not in English, so I'm going to just follow griff's instructions next time. I will spend much longer on exfoliating for sure. Moisturize before self-tan?

I think about 3 or 4 days will do it for me too.