1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Good self-tanners

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Trinity, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

Anybody want to recommend a good self-tanner? There are too many to choose from in the drugstore.

Also, can someone give me advice for applying it to one's face? I'm taking my senior yearbook photo tomorrow. Now is not a good time to experiment, is it? :confused:

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Very evenly! And don't go too dark on the face, especially if you have a photo to be taken because if it does streak you will see it. Good luck!

I use Endless Summer brand, I think. Edit: it seems there are different types, mine is a put it on, wait 30 minutes before dressing, don't shower for 3 hours, and last a few days type.

#2 chicanerous, Apr 22, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  3. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

I use Ban De Soil or however you spell it. You can get it from Walmart for $6 a bottle. I get complimented every time I wear it. I've been tanning for a month and a few days ago I looked in the mirror and my face looked the same color as when I wear the self tanner. The smell, greasiness, and how the tanner comes off when I touch my face is the reason I chose to tan.

4. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

I use a sunless tanner on my face, its easy and it looks a lot better to have some color in the face. Its not instant (which I hate), it takes about 8-12 hours to develop and lasts a few days. Its an Australian brand though, so you probably cant get it in the states, but there are heaps of brands just as good. I coudnt be bothered using it on my whole body though, way too time consuming.

Dont forget to thoroughly exfoliate before otherwise it will become all patchy and blotchy. I also mix it with moisterising cream.

Marcus :cool:

5. simon.karlsson

simon.karlsson Well-Known Member

sun blocks?

Whatever self tanning cream I´ve ever used has made me look yellow and multi coloured... :p

I´m really un aware of how the sun blocking cream works though.... do you get brown even though you´re using a sun blocking cream?....

I figured I should know theese sort of things when I´m headed for Australia in October. I´ve heard the sun can turn out pretty nasty over there. Cancer and so fourth. Any suggestions Marcus, and everyone else?.

6. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Yeah you can get a tan while wearing sunscreen but it can take a little longer.

What are you coming down here for? Where are you going? As long as you wear suncream youll be ok, it just gets annoying putting it on. I guess it also depends on how fair skinned you are. Although my avatar doesnt show it, I'm rather dark skinned (for a caucasion) and even after 20mins I'll get burnt. Its not like its really hot down here in Melbourne (its hotter up north) but even in overcast conditions on a mild day you can get burnt. I'm sure its like that in other places too. When it comes down to it, I'd rather have a fake tan then get melanoma.

7. simon.karlsson

simon.karlsson Well-Known Member

Well, I´m going there partly to visit my long lost friend Jordie but also kind of as a break from everything here. I´m going to work with him in his café fountain somewhere in a shopping mall in Canberra. But I´ll prob be travelling all over the south east, once get some money. I actually might be taking a plane down to Melbourne from here, cause I´ve checked it up and surpricingly it is the cheapest way (single way was 3700 skr = 637 A$ ) and prob go from there up to Canberra :)

TRue, you seem to look abit pale in your avatar, hehe never thought of it. I think I´m rather sensitive to the sun, I´ve got freckles and slightly ginger beard... :p I better look out down there.

8. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Wow, its only 637 to fly from Sweden to Melbourne, that seems bloody cheap. And its really cheap to fly from Melb to Can, depends on what deal you get but Ive seen it as cheap as A$40. What attractions do you plan on seeing? Have you done much research?

Speaking of my Avatar, do you or does anyone else know how to edit it to give me a tan. Damn dark jungle and bright flash :(

9. niko

niko Well-Known Member

I've tried both Endless Summer and Nutrogena.

Nutrogena:

1. Takes about 20 min to "dry"
    2. Good color, no streaking
    3. Smells bad, take a shower the next morning and usually takes care of it.

Endless Summer

1. Dries in like 1 minute or so (nice!)
    2. Good color, even, no streaking.
    3. Smells fairly good on application. Still has same Chem. stink the next morning, so just wash your face to get rid of the scent.

I liked the endless summer because it dries so fast, and the color is pretty natural. But the Nutrogena gave me good deep color too. The Nutrogena stinks a lot tho.

-niko

10. kirby

kirby Well-Known Member

This is a good topic! My results will be a little late for you, Trinity, but I'm going to be trying the spray tan booth this weekend...either Mystic or Magic Tan. They're both pretty expensive, but I've got some weddings coming up this summer & don't want to be pale. I'll report back on Monday!

Kirby

11. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

I ended up not having enough time for a self-tanner to take effect before my picture so I pulled another trick: bronzer. It's like blush, but more brownish in color. Using an oversized brush I applied it to my forehead, nose, cheekbones and chin. That worked in a pinch.

I think I will try the Neutrogena tanner and mix some with my moisturizer once a week. I like Neutrogena's soaps and moisturizers, so hopefully the tanner will be good too.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

12. AndrewJones

AndrewJones Well-Known Member

Tanning beds are the same as the sun except faster right? And they last for months at a time?

13. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Yes tanning beds are faster than the sun but you sill put yourself at risk of melanoma. It definitely does not last for months, perhaps 3-7 days and it starts fading. Its actually pretty expensive to maintain. Why not try a spray on tan machine (Dream tan? Cant remember name), I've heard its pretty good, altough not that cheap.

14. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Marcus,
    I'm not a pro, but do you like either of these?
    (the third one's the original)

15. AndrewJones

AndrewJones Well-Known Member

Dont real sun tans last for like a month atleast?

16. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

17. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ah, yes, I didn't think to do it that way. I gave the whole photo less blue and more read. You used a replace color tool?

18. FionaMaeve

No, I picked a dark brown color and used the paintbrush tool with the opacity set way down. Then I went back and rebrightened the teeth (because nobody wants tan teeth). Then I upped the sharpness since the layer with the paintbrush kind of softens things up a bit.

EDIT: I didn't use the replace color tool because I didn't want to change the color of the shirt. Figured a lighter shirt would make the tan more pronounced and therefore he wouldn't actually have to be tanned up as much.

19. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

lol :) Thanks for your help ladies. The way you did it Freemason was the way I was trying to do it but failed. What you did looks better, but it looks like my face is just really dirty :) But its will do for now, when I have time I might have to update my avatar.

Marcus :tucool:

20. FionaMaeve

Heh heh, it does have a dirty look to it. An updated pic would be good. . . of course, we'll all miss the chimp. :)