1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Good motherboard brand?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by escher, Oct 27, 2004.

1. escher

escher Well-Known Member

I need to replace a socket 478 board (pentium 4). My dog pissed on the computer which somehow ruined it. (of course it wasnt my computer either! I had it to do some upgrades for someone). Anyway I've fallen out of touch which brands are good these days. In the past I've usually gotten an abit, asus. I need to have integrated sound on the board. Any recommendations?

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Go for another ASUS. I have had ASUS MB's in my computers for years, and have yet to replace one (with the exception of upgrades). They also tend to be the best priced, too. We have a local computer store that sells at online/warehouse prices. I upgrade once a year just because they tend to be so cheap.

-R

3. joecan

joecan Well-Known Member

Escher,

I agree with Bluestreak with. If you have a Frye's in your area, they usually have the best prices. I use to build computers on the side and except for a special Saturday event in Dallas, Frye's had the overall best prices.

4. escher

escher Well-Known Member

Yeah.. up in the midwest we dont have a Frye's. We get stuck with rip-offs like Best Buy. I'll just probably order it online through newegg or some of my other favorite online vendors.

5. PetriJR

PetriJR Well-Known Member

Completely off-topic but I couldn't help thinking that this would be the modern version of the old "Teacher, my dog ate my paper"-excuse.... :D :D :D

6. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

I like abit and asus. I'm currently on an Abit, and before that an asus, then before that an abit as well. The asus did wonderfully well and even handled a slotkit with a 1000 celeron (even though when it came out in 98 the fastest cpu on the market was a 450). I was pretty impressed with that. My current abit board (has an amd barton in it) and one before that, which had dual celerons, both were great as well.

7. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I love my ASUS -- ABIT is also very good. Can't go wrong with either of those.

8. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Pardon my bluntness, but are you kidding me? Fry's prices are absolutely horrendous! Case in point - Asus motherboards that you are talking about - I ordered an Asus board from mwave.com (because they are located 2 blocks away and I could pick it up). I could have also ordered from newegg.com, those two 95% of the time have the best prices, and are trusted online stores. At any rate, I paid about $180 for the board at the time. Fry's, one of which is located a few miles from my house, was carrying that board for $250! Needless to say, I would NEVER purchase computer items from them.

9. JMR

JMR Well-Known Member

I've had good luck ZipZoomFly.com too. Abit, Asus, and actual Intel boards are all good pieces.

10. ara2003

ara2003 Well-Known Member

asus, aopen , msi, epox are all good

11. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Probably just beating it to death, but I'd put my money on abit, asus, or intel. My current system runs an ASUS board and I've been nothing by pleased.

12. Torkm

Torkm Well-Known Member

I have had 3 Asus motherboard and I have had absolutely no problems with any of them, my next board will definately be an Asus!

13. Sazuki

Sazuki Well-Known Member

Don't go for the brand.

Go for the overall functionality, every board is different.

It's true asus, abit, epox, aopen etc make good boards but sometimes different brands make even better boards.

So start google and find some recent reviews and compare so you find the absolute best.

14. karatetricker

Rarely.

If you know a brand is reliable (i.e. asus, abit), offers lots of features and is very well priced, why take a chance with a no name?

15. netzig

netzig Well-Known Member

I agree, and you cant go wrong with ASUS in my opinion.

16. svedenblad

svedenblad Well-Known Member

I hade a Asus A7V8X or something and that motherboard was CRAP!
    Reboted when it wanted...
    Now i have a MSI card, and no problems at all.

17. kingink

kingink Well-Known Member

Fry's sometimes has good prices on their combo mobo & cpu. Buying piecemeal from Fry's is not a good idea and the online mailorder houses offer a better price/service.

18. karatetricker

I think you need to remember that no company is perfect. Of course asus sends out some lemons, as does every company. However, it is very rare and if you had used your warranty, you would have received a new one and been fine. I know tons of people who adore that mobo.