1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Good hypertrophy routine?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by iheartlamps, May 4, 2009.

1. iheartlamps

iheartlamps Active Member

Sorry for not looking this up myself, but I am going to be switching over to a hypertrophy/mass program till I hit 190ish lbs. I was looking for some good programs for the intermediate lifter. Ideally I would like if they were 3 day routines? Anyone got any links or routines?

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Check out Workout #2 in the Articles section on my web site. If you work that hard, progressively lifting heavier from week to week, expect some major hypertrophy. :tucool:

3. joe6pk

joe6pk Active Member

I like mastover's workout. I might try it soon, too ;)

Here is another idea:
    1-2 sets x 2-3/wk
    squats x20
    pullovers x10
    presses x10
    chins xMax
    dips xMax
    b. curls x10
    stiff legged deadlifts x15

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

There are many good routines around...

But I think the number one mistake most guys make with an anabolic hypertrophy routine (regardless of which one it is) is not nailing the time between sets.

example:- 4 sets of 8 with 3 1/2 or 4 minutes betweens sets isn't going to do you much good hormonally or anabolically.

The time between sets is crucial......as opposed to just absent-mindedly kicking out sets.

Try it next time you work out......go EXACTLY by the clock between sets....it will be a lot different than just doing sets and reps to get the total.....:)

5. fairmount

fairmount Active Member

How long should the time between sets be?

6. xclutch

xclutch Active Member

Is this the same for every routine? I may jump to a hypertrophy routine myself very soon.

Usually I just "wing it". When my iPod song ends, and I choose a new one, then I start my new set.

7. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

Don't "wing it." Always have a plan.

8. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Maybe it's just me...

Maybe I'm just an "old school old fart"...

But the only time I "plug in" so to speak, is when I'm on the treadmill or bike (or doing a variety of other mindless aerobic activities).

When I lift, it's just me and the iron. I may have some rage or heavy metal going in the boom box, but that's as far as it goes. that way, I have no issue with monitoring my cadence, timing, etc.

Of course, that's just my $.02:tucool:

9. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

There's a boat load of great 3-day splits out there for adding mass. I like Mastover's plan. I also like WS4SB, Starting Strength, and from what I've been reading I really like Wendler's 5/3/1 routine (not necessarily marketed as a "muscle gain program," but it could be used for one IMO).

Make sure your diet is right too, as the best program in the world isn't going to do nearly as much as it could if you're not eating properly.

There may be something to what you say, but I do not think it is the number one mistake that I see most guys making. What mistake do I see most often? Not eating enough. :)

(A close second would be way too much emphasis on biceps and chest and not enough emphasis on legs and back.)

10. afraser42

afraser42 Active Member

To each their own!

I JUST got a portable mp3 player, and I really don't think I would have been able to do that last set of 230lb. squats yesterday without some Maiden blaring at me..

"YOU'LL TAKE MY LIFE, BUT I'LL TAKE YOURS TOO. YOU FIRE YOUR MUSKET AND I'LL RUN YOU THROUGH."

11. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

I never said I didn't listen to music that would motivate or inspire:rolleyes:...

"When I lift, it's just me and the iron. I may have some rage or heavy metal going in the boom box, but that's as far as it goes. that way, I have no issue with monitoring my cadence, timing, etc."

When working with the weights, it's just easier for me to leave the mp3 and headphones behind...and save them for other activities...mowing the yard, riding the bicycle, etc.

And you're right..."To each their own!" Thanks for pointing that out.:tu:

12. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

In my opinion, there are many routines out there, too numerous to count. Some, better than others. But if your NUTRITION doesn't exceed whatever else you are doing during the course of the day, NOTHING is going to help you with lean mass hypertrophy, no matter WHAT training routine you are on.

13. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you are 95.2% body fat. Just sayin'....

:D