1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Good books?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Bigpapi, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Well-Known Member

I went to B&N yesterday expecting to get a book, but nothing really jumped out at me.

Does anyone have any good books that they recommend?

2. Organichu

Organichu Well-Known Member

What genre? Any particular era?

3. Bigpapi

No, I'm really looking for any good suggestions.

Although, I don't think I want fiction. Perhaps a book that I could take the info and put to practical use or just some book where I learn something new and interesting.

I'm pretty open on ideas though. A good read is a good read.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has read this before, but I'd say my favorite book of all time is Johnny Got his Gun by Dalton Trumbo. What an amazing story and for the subject matter, the author really makes you feel what it is like to be in the main character's situation. If you haven't read it I highly recommend checking it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553274325/104-8102283-2786308?v=glance&n=283155

#3 Bigpapi, Mar 26, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  4. Mick Mauldin

Mick Mauldin Well-Known Member

5. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

Devil in the White City.

6. Mick Mauldin

Mick Mauldin Well-Known Member

Once you apply what's within the pages of The Four Agreements, you'll never take anything personal again. :tu:

7. Bigpapi

Definitely looks like an interesting book. This will be a good one to consider. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

I have not read it, but my brother just finished a book called Shadow Diver's and said it was among the best books he has ever read. It is about deep see diving and sounded like it had a lot of practical applications as well for life. He also has never done any diving himself or been interested in the subject, but still really enjoyed the book.

Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes, a century plus runner (has run 380 miles in one outing over the course of several days I believe). I really really enjoyed that book and it gave me a lot of good thoughts and lessons for my own training.

I am in the middle of reading a book called Flawless Execution by Murphy and ex f-15 pilot who now runs a corporate consulting business that teaches excellence using the concepts and lessons he learned in the Air Force...very inspiring and very good info!

9. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading McCullough's John Adams

It can be a bit dry but it's fascinating in that he brings Adams to life through all his letters, those of his wife and others around him. I've learned a lot about the man that no history lesson ever taught.

McCullough's 1776 is also supposed to be quite good.

Thomas Friedman's (always brilliant) latest The World is Flat is on my "to-get-to" list as well.

10. Wonder Boy

Wonder Boy Well-Known Member

Over Spring Break, I actually read Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie... one of the best books I've ever read. It's the same guy that wrote The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and it did not dissapoint. Extremely insightful, and a true story... I've seen so many personal testimonies saying the book changed their lives.

And I know you said you'd prefer non-fiction, but one of my favorite books of all time is High Fidelity, by Nick Hornby... I loved the movie with John Cusack, but the book is about 100 times better.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

11. lostmind

lostmind Well-Known Member

I just (like 2 mins ago) finished a book called War Trash by Ha Jin.

Very interesting book, about the korean war but from the perspective of a communist chinese POW. The story is fictional, but there are a lot of factual events tied into it very nicely. A really easy read too. I didn't think I'd like it, but decided to try something different and am glad I did.

12. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Moneyball by Michael Lewis sounds like just what you're looking for if you haven't read it yet.

It's about Billy Beane and the Oakland Athletics -- how one of the lowest payroll teams in baseball became a perennial frontrunner and contender through changing the way they think about the game, finding inefficiencies in the markets for players, and going all scientific on it in ways the other teams never thought of.

A must-read for baseball fans. Still an excellent book for people who don't give a crud about baseball.

It's definitely something "new and interesting" if you haven't read anything like it yet.

13. Bigpapi

I've read that actually. And you are right it is a must read for baseball fans. I've heard that at some point a MoneyBall 2 will be coming out.

Now a book that I have read and ashamed to have read was the Jose Canseco book. When this came out I got all caught up in the craziness of "Who might be on steroids" and decided to read it. Big waste of money and big waste of time. I mean, who really wants to read about Jose Canseco? Not me, I want to read about the exposed players which was about half a chapter worth of material in the entire book. :bang:

14. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

I just got done with a John Maxwell book...

"Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know"
    Small book. I liked it. Easy to read, some quotes were quite inspiring.

I'm with Hort on "The World is Flat". I heard it was really good. Might get it on Audio CD first...

15. TheLemonSong

I haven't read The WOrld Is Flat, but I have read two other books in that genre:
    Jihad v McWorld (not worth reading)
    and
    Michael Jordan and the New Global Capitalism which is a GREAT! book

16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I am reading something in the vein that Hort is. His book, John Adams, is on my reading list. I am reading Lincoln by David Herbert Donald which is currently considered to be the definitive biography of th man. I am reading it in part as preparation for reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's new book Team of Rivals : The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln though I am waiting for that to come out in paperback.

I have always wanted to learn more about Lincoln... he is considered by many our greatest President... and in particular, a man with a lot of wisedom. Several years ago I took someone to the Lincoln memorial and they had a number of hi sspeeches posted, etc. (Like the Gettysburg address) They really moved me. I guess I believe that someone could not write such things so spontaneously if somehow they were not embedded in his heart.

Right now, in this point of my life, I guess I am on a quest for gaining wisdom, mostly about people and interacting with them. At the moment, I think that the challenge of being politically astute and effective yet maintaining integrity in principles in politically charged situations is a great wisdom builder. It seems that Lincoln had this gift of insight in spades. He came from real poverty and an uneducated background. Climbing up under those circumstances meant overcoming a lot ingrained emotional styles of dealing with people and oneself and a determination to gain understanding and insight.

17. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Just did the audio book of that from my library (I'm on the road a lot lately, and have been doing a lot of audio books in addition to reading). I liked it.

18. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

That is one of my favourite anti-war novels. When you put yourself inside his mind it really is terrifying. Its hard to even imagine what it would be like living that way. I'd also recommend it to anyone, although it certainly is not an easy read.

If you're looking for something to read try Kurt Vonnegut. Start off with Slaughterhouse Five and Breakfast of Champions. I don't know anyone who doesn't like reading Vonnegut.

19. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

me.

how about all quiet on the western front? one of the books i know sections of by heart, just from reading it so many times.

20. TheLemonSong

Vonnegut is a Hoosier!! :)

Meanwhile, what'd you choose Big Papi?