1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Dragon [cookalong journal!]

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by LarssonCrew, Dec 15, 2011.

1. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Yesterday no gym.

I don't know what happened but I just had too much to do, I'm sad I've let two days this week pass without going, but 5 days out of 7 isn't awful.

I woke up at 3:30am, strange sleep pattern, watched movies til 8, invited to McDonalds by a friend for breakfast.

Did I go?

HELL NO!!!

Two baked potatoes and eggs for breakfast, plus some milk in my coffee. Probably around 700 calories.

For lunch it'll be a 400 calorie egg and bacon sandwich

Dinner perhaps stop off at subway on the way home from the gym. Sounds a bit carb heavy, but chicken, eggs, milk, more eggs, bacon, then triple beef in my sandwich might get me home.

I've been doing mostly whole body workotus at the gym. Today I want to annihilate calfs and shoulders and chest.

So, I'll do seated calf raises on smith, plus bodyweight plus 20 kilo calf raises.

For shoulders:

Shrugs[go heavy on smith]
    Shrugs [DBs, last time I did 50 lbs, going upto 60 lb dbs]
    Lateral raises
    Shoulder press
    I will try overhead press but I doubt it'll be great!

Chest:

Flyes
    Incline bench press
    DB press
    Smith machine bench press
    Pec dec

So, a solid 11 exercises there, fortunately I've got alot of free time today.

Plus the usual 300 calories of cardio afterwards.

I hope tomorrow my chest hurts and aches as do my shoulders.

Last time I worked my calf muscles hard, I stepped out of bed the next day to use the bathroom and it felt like someone had put a bullet through the back of my knees. Great pressure on the muscle.

Let's push for 90 kilos!!!

2. LarssonCrew

Absolutely exhausted.

My stomach's been feeling bad from last night, and today the shit hit the fan[quite literally]. running around finding a toilet is a nuisance! Oh well, it's what happens if you eat out here alot, although I haven't been and it's been a one off.

Anywho, so, pre tired because of the toilet situation, I headed to the gym undeterred.

I was motivated, but then BAM, half way through cardio I'm just exhausted. Sat on the bike like 'kill me!' My legs refuse to move, I decided to try the weights. Better.

Today's workout, which was cut short due to the exhaustedness, was still non the less good, and I was sweating and feeling it.

250 calories of cardio[felt so tired]

Then:

Seated calf raises[non of these in my gym, SO, I used the smith machine, sat on the end of a bench, and put a plate under my legs and on top, and lifted the bar. The plate on top was because pushing up with that much force hurt my legs. Anyways, did these for 220 lbs and boy did they burn, just 3 x 12 and I was in burnville.

Next up did shrugs, went heavy but my grip let me down, still did 10 x 190 lbs, then upped it to 250 but struggled with grip, went to 220 and blasted another 2 sets of ten.

Then I hit 25 lb flyes on an incline, enjoyed it. Then incline DB bench with 25 lbs, I need to get this much higher.

Then I decided in my final two sets of DB press to super set with the 220 lb shrugs. DAMN it hurt, could only get to about 5 in the shrugs before my body gave up.

Went and did 2 x 10 low rows[maybe my favorite exercise], was basically done.

Went over and tried 70 lb shrugs but my grip was done.

Still, remembered to torch my calves with standing BW raises x 20.

Called it a day, shall sleep tomorrow with no alarm and hope no more toilet rushes!

3. LarssonCrew

This morning...

91.7! 201.7 lbs!

Down .44 lbs from my lowest point.

Feels good to chip away, but DAMN, after 6 weeks I've finally stopped my noobie drop, i.e. before I could drop 1/2 lb a day from water weight or my body adjusting to the working out, now it does look like hitting 1 or 2 lbs a week!

Gotta keep it up!

Today's eating

Breakfast:

Apple
    50g oats with 2 bananas
    500 calories

A little carb heavy but oh well.

Lunch will be a heavy meat sandwich[lean beef or turkey] Perhaps around 600 calories

Then dinner will be the protein BOMB.

Those german eggs I showed before, using 2 eggs 8 egg whites [300 calories] Sausage [150] Potato [150] chicken [150]

750 calories, almost all protein baby.

Bringing me home at around 1850 calories for the day.

Work out will be shoulders [properly forcing myself, I want to feel the burn] and legs [not just calves this time].

4. LarssonCrew

Gym went ok, good lord I'm bored of cardio.

Decided to hit the final 2 minutes HARD of my cycling cardio, and it hurt like hell.

Then I decided to fry my legs, so I went and did 10 sets of curls.

My legs hurt so much.

Moved on to extensions, couple of warm up sets then 3 working sets.

Not done yet, did 6 x 15 sets of calf raises.

Aside from that I did some low row[155 lbs] x 3
    Curls [barbell and DB]

Was harsh.

5. LarssonCrew

Gym again today, my eating was not great, BUT, it was under 2000 calories.

I had:

2 large baked potatoes, a slither of butter [I guessed at 800 calories]
    Apple

Subway [now, I knew I was proteinless this day, so I STACKED]
    6' white italian, normal cheese, little sauce, then:

Chicken breast/ham/turkey/roast beef/sausage

Pretty much 600 calories of solid protein right there. I guessed around 800 calories for this.

Then had a small glass of milk. 120 calories.

So I think about 1820 calories.

I see some people losing weight on 3000 calories and I think wow!

Workout at gym today:

150 calories reclining cycle machine
    75 calories run
    75 calories reclining cycle machine

All done fairly quickly, maybe 20 minutes for everything, then:

Lat pull downs[not heavy, maybe 80-90 lbs] x 4 x 10
    Low row [second heaviest weight, 200 lbs ] x 4 x 10 <--Absolutely shattered me
    Shrugs on smith machine
    Rack pulls on smith machine [220]
    Dumbbell curls
    Vertical traction [second heaviest weight]
    Tricep pulldowns on cable

Anyways, the low row absolutely tore me in half!

One problem is that my grip is worse on the smith machine than a regular bar, no idea why. Maybe I think in my head that I always need to be careful about it not rolling and clicking back on a hook, no idea why.

Weight still won't budge below 91.7, grr...

6. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I know man. I don't know how they do it. I am netting 1050 calories a day and am only starting to lose. But hey, you know your body better. You know what it takes for you to lose weight. You do what you gotta do.

7. LarssonCrew

Gah, I'm sticking to under 2200 calories a day, hitting the gym[although yesterday they were closed for Chinese holidays], but I'm still holding onto water weight[I think]

I'm hovering at 93-92Kgs, my lowest is 91.7, I want to beat that! I want to beat that!

My sleep has been awful, me and my business partner installed Total War Shogun on our office computers and networked, we've been playing together in co-op mode during the holidays, it's awful going to get a coffee from McDonalds at 6am because our sleep patterns are ruined.

Tomorrow I have law teaching, so I need to hit the hay early.

I'm in trouble though, Tues and Thurs I have a full day of law teaching 9-12 2:30-4:30, this allows me time after 5 to go to the gym, which is good, but I have a dilemma.

I HATE the mornings, I will wake up 7:45 and go to get the bus or a taxi to the college, I have an apartment provided there, but I won't have time or will power to have breakfast.

I want to know what I should do, perhaps I will cook chicken and potatoes or chicken and rice or chicken and brocolli and put it in a tupperware and then microwave there, alternatively I'll buy a small hot plate and cook oatmeal for my lunch.

After my gym I can have a large meal or chicken carbs veg to catch up.

I hope it'll work, but I hope after working and planning I have enough energy on one smallish meal for the gym!

Today will be legs.

Leg extensions and calf raises superset, I'm aiming for 20 sets of each, 45 seconds between.
    Then DB squats
    Calf raises
    Might throw in some arms too.

AHHHH.

I am weighing in around 93.9 right now, but I have drank about a gallon and a half today already, I hope I can get rid of the water weight before tomorrow's weigh in!

8. LarssonCrew

Yes yes yes yes.

Things are going well.

Put on my ski jacket this morning to meet my friend, I realised how it's gone from snug to a little too big, we'll take that!

Noticed my muscles showing through at the gym, finally got a mini bicep to speak of.

And the weight has gone down to match my lowest ever total, yeah.

Yesterday's eats were just so so. Went to McDonalds for Breakfast, normally I can slay 3 or 4 , today? Just had a small ham muffin with one hash brown, and coffee. I was such a nerd I took my sweetener pellets and threw away the sugar they provide. 500 calories only in McDonalds? Check?

Aside from that I had 2 small meat dumplings and a chicken breast, that was it.

Gym was amazing. I was SO tired at 4:30pm I considered going to sleep, but threw on my gym gear and headed out.

PR on the 100 calorie race[see how quick I can cycle 100 calories out], check.

PR on DB Barbell curls? Check.

Annihilated my hamstrings with PRs on hamstring curl? Check.

Woke up this morning at 6am, and had a VERY Leftyx approved breakfast of:

75g oatmeal [300 cals]
    2 bananas put in with the oatmeal [200]
    100 calories of full fat milk [100]

600 calories in this oatmeal treat, which fills me up for hours.

Then I boiled two full eggs for some protein. 140 calories.

Leaves me 1000 for after my workout.

I'm eating at 6am then fasting pretty much [work from 9-4 then the gym]. Might stop at subway on the way to the gym for a turkey sandwich[$2 here].

We'll see. I'm hoping after chugging water and tea that this water weight will go and tomorrow I can wake up at a new low PR!

9. LarssonCrew

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
  11. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

12. LarssonCrew

Started to feel like this is turning into the real grind it is.

Still, today was just soso in terms of eats, breakfast was perfect, I bought two apples to snack on en route to the college for my lunch, but the lovely foreign affairs officer women invited me to try their canteen food.

I've no idea how many calories, I had probably half a bowl of rice plus some small dishes, cabbage, green veg, eggs, and some chicken and potato, portions were small though.

Dinner was a protein subway, i.e. stacked with lean meat, but it was 'buy a drink and a 6' get a free cookie' day. I bought a diet coke and a sandwich so had the cookie, 200 calories.

Just that one blip pisses me off and puts me on a downer.

Workout was fucking amazing. Well, kinda.

I've been challenging myself on the bike to hit 100 calories as quick as I can. My previous best was 11:42, today? 10:04. I wanted 9.xx but alas. I went out hard for the first five minutes, producing about 170 watts, then my legs were on fire, then cranked it up from 7-9 minutes. 9 minutes gone I was on 82 calories, I wanted 100. Cranked it up to level 12[of 15] and just went, cranked out a solid 235 watts for the entire minute. But just got beat by 4 seconds. Oh well. My heart was pumping at 188 beats per minute, which is insane.

Then did 15 minutes up hill on the treadmill.

After that I shrugged on the smith, 160 lbs but my grip keeps going, I need gloves ASAP.

I saw a new EZ curl bar on the preacher seat and thought fuck it, went for 60 lbs, and pushed out 4 x 10, I thought my arms were going to explode, the pump was unreal.

Did some lat pulldowns[hate these, I'm weak as hell]

Did vertical traction and low row[4 x 170 x 10]. I can see my low row soon maxing the 220lb machine, and my form was perfect, no cheating.

Used the press machine but only got 100 x 10 x 3. My chest is so weak, this will need to be addressed!

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

According to Arnold Schwarzeneggar's autobiography, he said the error most lifters make, is that they are good at something, and then concentrate on it. Like some people can bench press a lot, so everytime you see them in the gym, they are bench pressing. He said his success was he concentrated on what he was weak at. For instance, he said he had small calfs, so that is what he concentrated on. So if you are saying your chest is weak, that is smart to address it.

14. LarssonCrew

Yep, I guess lat pulldown and chest can be done twice a week, or I can add it at the end as an addition exercise.

Completely agree, it feels great to low row almost the entire stack, then I'm bench pressing only 1/3 of the stack on that machine, grim!

15. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Sounds like quite a bike ride. Also, perhaps your workout was better because you had a bit more energy from the extra grub?

16. LarssonCrew

My wife returned from her hometown, so we splurged for 3 days, probably about 4000 a day.

Not joking, at one point I was up 12 lbs of water weight.

I went to the gym on one of three days, which is poor, but oh well.

Hopefully the extra calories might kick start some metabolism drive in me.

Anyways, I'll head to the gym after my stomach sorts itself out. Today I just ate 600 calories left over pizza and some cereal because my stomach is mis behaving, AGAIN.

Anyways, I guess it'll be a week of good eatings to kick that water weight, damn it.

17. LarssonCrew

Decided to stick strictly to 1700 calories a day, no excuses.

Today's eats[some poor]

Snacks 500
    Yoghurt 160
    Milk 120
    Oatmeal 200
    2 Hard boiled eggs 140

Total so far: 1120

Which leaves 580

I'm planning two chicken breasts [300] a roast potato [200] and some BBQ sauce [80] to make up the rest.

That's alot of food, although had I not had the snacks and yoghurt I could have eaten even more :D

Gym today will be 300 cals of cardio, then today will be chest and shoulders:

Chest flyes
    Incline chest flyes
    DB Bench
    BB Bench
    Incline Bench
    Hammer machine bench
    Pec Dec

Lateral raise
    Front raise
    OHP[only the bar]
    Shoulder push machine
    DB Shoulders

Wow, 11 exercises. Should be tiring :D

18. skippy

skippy Member

Hope the new nutritional strategy is working out for you!

Diet is the most difficult part for me until I am consistent about it. Once I get into the habit of eating right, it is surprisingly simple! The cravings stop. The hard part is sticking it out long enough for that to happen. Definitely easier said than done.

19. LarssonCrew

Last week or so I've been shocking, but I'm maintaining around 95. Tomorrow and the day after is my best friend's wedding weekend. In China that means drinking...alot.

Excited to be part of it though. Getting my shoes shined and my suit dry cleaned before hand.

Now my scheduled set I'll be back onto the wagon properly on Monday :D

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Hope you're enjoying yourself so far!