1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Dragon [cookalong journal!]

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by LarssonCrew, Dec 15, 2011.

1. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Nice! :tu:

Bicep strength has nothing to do with deadlift capacity...:nope:
    Make sure your arms are straight....any kind of curling could lead to a blown tendon or something horrific...

If anything....grip is the first thing to go...

You might want to youtube some deadlift instructional videos...look for "deadlift rippetoe" or something...

*YOU NEED GOOD FORM ON DEADLIFTS*

--

Good job on sticking with it!

2. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Maybe it's grip, I don't mean bicep strength at all, my arms are perfectly flat, but somehow the bar ends up feeling easy to go up on the right side and not on the left, perhaps I meant grip.

Weigh in was screwed up today because at about 5am I was starving, had a piece of chicken, two apples and 2 large glasses of water.

Anyways, counting those 350 calories for today.

So meal 1 - 2 apples, 1 chicken breast, water - 350
    meal 2 - oatmeal, half a glass of milk, 2 bananas, chicken breast- 660
    meal 3 - 3 egg whites , chicken breast - 250

1260 already, although my calories for today are 2200, by the time I've gone to work and the gym, it'll be around 5pm, and then it'll be a dinner before sleeping[I feel exhausted, first week of working out I think endorphins kick in and I just cannot sleep, frustrating.]

It feels like I've stuffed myself:

3 chicken breasts
    2 apples
    3 egg omlette
    50g of oatmeal with milk and 2 bananas

But it's only a little over half my calories for the day, incredible what eating 'clean' can do for you.

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Probably grip. If you are right handed and play badminton....your left hand grip is certainly to be weaker...:nod:

Thats OK....nothing trains grip like deadlifts! :D

4. LarssonCrew

Apologies for two weeks without an update.

I'm keeping at it, currently at 92.9 Kilos [204lbs]

Everythings going great. I'm eating between 1700 and 2200 calories a day.

I had McDonalds today, 900 calories. Yes I could have had 3 chicken breasts and a baked potato but as long as I'm below 2200 the weight will come off.

Sleep was bad yesterday, so today was:

100 calories on the treadmill [15 incline @ 6.5 KM/H for 15 minutes, absolutely killed me]
    100 calories on bike [about 14 minutes]

Then did an Ab machine work out [but the shoulder parts dig in and are painful, however I can do a large stack because my abs are actually fairly strong]
    Did leg extensions maxed out x 14 x 3 [maybe 250 lbs]
    Then I did shoulder shrugs [55 lbs dumbbells in each arm x 8, it's hard for me to breathe when I'm concentrating on these so I breathe deep, push out 2 then repeat]
    Did some pulley workouts too, about 35 kilos [80ish lbs]

Then I went to swim, but forgot my towel [which I had drying out on a small heater] damn it.

Anyways, tomorrow I will sleep late and hit the gym after oatmeal and eggs and chicken for breakfast, I plan toeat half my calories[about 1000] with a large portion of oatmeal eggs and chicken.

Eats today:

McDonalds [double burger, small fries, diet coke, chicken] 900
    2 chicken breasts with BBQ sauce 500
    1/2 a pineapple [300g] - 150
    Total so far: 1550

I'm stuffed, it's 4:30pm and I don't know if I will eat again today. I have a chinese grapefruit in my bag which I may consume. It's delicious and not heavy on calories.

I ate a pre sliced pineapple as dessert and let me tell you, it's like candy it's so sweet, but water gushes out so I'm guessing it's very water heavy. I love pineapple, I'd much rather munch a half than say a candy bar now.

I feel like I've got left over energy because I was tired at the gym but ate more now.

Tomorrow's plan is [firstly, to weight under 92.9 which would be another personal record]

Also only eat food in my house , chicken [got 4 breasts waiting for oven], eggs [got a dozen], potatoes, sweet potatoes and some vegetables waiting to be cooked!

Oatmeal too.

Then an hour of cardio, then tomorrow will be chest and arms, curls, hammer curls [prefer these] skullcrushers, plus chest machine, flyes and also DB press.

May also do calf raises because I need to get them even bigger than they are.

So, hopefully tomorrow after my ok[not great because of McD's but ok in terms of calories], eating, I should[I hope] be around 92.5, another lb off, and have me heading towards seeing 199.xx lbs on the scale!

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Good to see you back. Forget about the Macdonald's. Everyone does it once in a while. Are you married yet? I know you have a girlfriend.

6. LarssonCrew

Hey Lefty, yeah, everything is going ok.

Woke up at the same weight this morning, but I'm positive I'll be lighter tomorrow.

Breakfast was:

200ml full fat milk [only one available here] 120
    50g oatmeal 200
    1 teaspoon jam 80
    1 chicken breast 200
    3 egg whites 60
    1 egg 70

Total about 720

So leaves me roughly 1500 for rest of the day, but I'm stuffed.

I'm going to be heading to the gym, hour of cardio, hour of weights and then an hour of swimming.

I'm not properly married yet, but my wife calls me 'lao gong' which means husband.

She's coming to the UK in July with me to meet the rest of my family [met parents and brother] and my close UK friends.

It's kinda pushing me forward, imaging the dream of my fiance landing in the UK to be picked up by my parents with me, and my mum and dad being shocked how thin I am!

Only problem is my fiance joined the gym but is only doing swimming, cardio and pole dancing[WAHEY!]

So when shes with me we tend to swim together [I'm teaching here], and then run side by side for 40 minutes then I'll go do weights. But I feel a little weird when shes there, like I have to play to her schedule not mine!

Oh well.

My gym is closed 6-16th of Feb for Chinese New Year, I want to be sub 90 Kilos [198 lbs] before it closes, so I have 9 more days of working out.

Ah...

7. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I can imagine how difficult that could be.

8. LarssonCrew

Been doing everything right but I'm still a little heavy, I guess I weigh with alot of fluid/solids inside me.

So still hovering around 94, damn it I just cannot break 93 again[I was 92.9 at one point!].

Oh well, I'm sure I'll have awhoosh day where my waters gone and my stomachs a little emptier and I've worked hard and it's dropped.

Good thing is, last couple days I've been a tad...tired at the gym. BUT, I've still pushed through.

Today I did 150 cals on bike/treadmill before my shin splints annihilated me.

Went and did some weights, leg extensions[easy peasy :D], then some tricep pulldowns, some curls and a couple of deadlifts [118kgs going up fairly easy, that's 260 lbs]. I want to break 300 on deadlift soon.

I think my weight disappointment is purely down to me coming out the 'beginning luck' phase where water weight and initial weight drops, then you get used to it. Before I could wake up at say 220 lbs, go to bed at 220, and then be 219 the next day, or even 218.

Now I'm guessing I'll be dropping 2 lbs[1 kg] a week.

ANYWAYs, I'm also thinking of just doing the same food for a week straight:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with water
    3 egg whites
    1 egg
    1 chicken breast

Let's say 650 [a splash of olive oil]

Lunch
    Subway sub of the day, no cheese, no sauce, lots of tomato [runs about 300 cals]

Dinner

Chicken and large [300g] baked potato - 500

So I'd make up the rest with

Chinese grapefruit
    Pineapple
    Apples
    Eggs
    Small bottle of milk [maybe coffee/add to oatmeal]
    Banana [added to oatmeal]

I guess I could have 2 or 3 of those snacks throughout the day and bring myself to around 1800.

Plus it means I can go to the store, buy 7 large potatoes, 14 large chicken breasts, 28 eggs, and a mound of fruit.

I think it's an idea!

9. LarssonCrew

Consistency is the key.

I'm bloated from a huge night out at the karaoke house yesterday, 4 Litres of gin and juice down, probably need 3-4 days to get rid.

I'm hanging around 95-96 right now.

Some is water weight.

My gym work is good, which leaves --------- diet.

Since joining the gym on the 5th of January, I've only missed two days, that's what?27 days or so.

Determined to get there the next two days and make it only 2 days missed since I started.

Anyways, my normal routine is 300 or 400 calories burnt through cardio and then weights, perhaps some swimming if I have the time.

I've been eating out a bit too much, and there's simply no excuse for it.

Today's eating was far better and cleaner:

Woke up ->

1 apple 150

Mid morning

Chicken breast 200
    Half a large roast potato 200
    small slice of butter 50

Second breakfast

Oatmeat 200
    Milk 120
    1/2 teaspoon jam 80

1000 before gym

Post gym:

1 egg 70
    4 egg whites 130
    Tomato 50

Baked potato chips 200
    Pineapple 200

1650 calories

Better, I hope to eat the same sort of things tomorrow.

Gym today:

13 minutes on bike
    8 minutes on treadmill[stopped due to shin splints killing me]
    8 minutes bike
    8 minutes treadmill

Takes me about 40 minutes to burn 300 calories now, which is much much quicker than I did at the start.

My first session I burnt 250 calories in 50 minutes.

Anyways, I need to push up the ante again because I am finding it easier and easier. I barely broke sweat running and biking.

After cardio:

4 x 10 Pec deck[hurt because I did it two days ago too]
    4 x 10 shoulder shrugs [90 lbs on smith machine - easy]
    4 x 10 behind the back shoulder shrugs [130 lbs - shoulder were tired after this!]
    4 x 10 Low row 155 lbs [HARD, almost didn't get it but forced it out , and forced myself to keep a straight back so only back and arms were working]
    2 x 10 hammer curls [30lbs - right arm was fairly easy, left arm...a bit harder!]
    2 x 10 concentration curls
    4 x 10 dumbbell bench press [25 lbs in each hand, far too easy, need to push these to maybe 50 lbs at least.]

So that's it, tomorrow is deadlifts, legs,tricep pulldowns, tricep pullovers, calf raises.]

Anyways, I'm enjoying the gym now, I'm more professional, get into it more and in the zone.

My first 3-4 weeks was also based on learning the correct forms and checking alternative ones too. Now I'm in, doing my sets and getting out. Hate doing bench press but I actually enjoyed it too.

One thing is that it seems to be any chest exercise works the outside of my 'chest' towards the joint with the shoulder. Don't know why.

Hope to push down below 93!!! I'm desperate to see a consistent 92.something for a few days!

10. LarssonCrew

I'm enjoying cranking up the intensity of the workouts.

Before I was taking LONG breaks 3-4 minutes between different exercises, yesterday I almost jumped from one to another, busted out 4 x 10 [with 45 seconds between] and carried on.

My bodies getting used to working out, almost no DOMs in my arms, although I still get them in my calves when I push the calves hard.

Eating these two days was good, today I'm sat at 94.8Kilos, so the target is to be 94 tomorrow!

Seems that the 93-94 range is a mental block right now!

Anyways, I've stepped up the cardio and pushing it harder and harder.

My lifts are going up too, especially my low row which seems to have jumped from 110 to about 175, which is not bad.

My bench press is still grim. I can only bench press 30lb DBs at the minute, although when I tried the 35 lbs I was exhausted.

11. LarssonCrew

Well guys, don't want this dropping down to the second page.

Firstly, happy Chinese new year. I don't care for it, but oh well.

Gym closed for 11 days, bummer.

I ate poorly first three days it was closed, but I've tightened it back up. If I can get to 94 or 95 when I restart I'll be sure to smash the 93 barrier.

Just popped ten chicken breasts in the oven, with garlic, ginger, olive oil, thyme and a sprinkle of chilli, hope it'll last me 3 days or so!

I'm flat broke right now, but after the holidays [10th of March] I'm due a large check. I decided I'll go to decathlon and get myself some specific gym clothes/shoes. I think firstly, wearing my adidas' will ruin nice white sneakers, and secondly, doesn't help my shin splints.

My shin splints feel absolutely god awful at the minute, although at the gym I did manage some 30 minute sessions of running!

I decided when I'm back I must focus on my shoulders and chest more than anything, my chest is lagging badly, I can only DB press 30 lbs, which is awful!

Anyways, next 6 days [until next sunday] I need to tighten my eating up a whole lot, a)for my wallet b)for my gut.

So, target is still 94-93 for the Sunday when I return to the gym. I'm hoping regyming will 'whoosh!' me down to below 93, which still seems to be a threshold I cannot pass right now!

12. LarssonCrew

Well, I must be doing something right, with careful planning and eating, I've dropped down to 93.3 Kilos [205.5 lbs, I started this all at 235].

But the confusing thing is, I've not been going to the gym due to closures over the Chinese holidays.

It's okay, sliding down to my lowest possible weight PRE gym reopening isn't a bad thing!

I guess that going to the gym gave me what I thought was a 'free pass' [oh go on, have that extra cake, you worked out for two hours],and it probably ended up costing me more than I was burning at the gym.

Careful planning too, yesterday I knew I had a business dinner,so I woke up at midday, ate a small portion of oatmeal, a banana and waited, then had dinner and nothing else. It keeps the calories down.

I also believe that my water weight has basically gone from sleeping so long[can't open my business in Chinese new year, so I have ten days with nothing to do], so I'm sleeping 10-12 hours a day, and it's so cold that I have the AC on in my bedroom for the whole 12 hours. I swear I can drop 3-4 lbs some times from going to bed to waking up because my body dries out. Of course after my leak in the morning that's when the total is taken.

Anyways, the eating's today have been good, I went to the shop, my purchases:

2 small packets of strawberry yoghurt drink
    6 chicken breasts[two days worth, currently in the oven]
    Various vegetables
    Leanest pork mince available
    Green tea
    2 tea cups[more like large plastic beakers you'd keep ice tea in]
    Various household stuff
    Grapes

Anyways, I've changed from diet soda to green tea, I make it in one cup, pour into the other and re-fill the first cup. I'll get through 3Litres[almost a gallon] of green tea today.

The yoghurt is a drinkable kind, and I tried it mixed into my oatmeal. Tasted like strawberry cheesecake a bit, delicious and not too many calories!

Eats for today:[eaten and planned]

1 bag potato chips 250 [don't kill me lefty!]
    50g oatmeal 200
    1 small bag yoghurt drink 75
    1 small bag yoghurt drink 75
    1 banana 100

Breakfast: [2pm:D] 700

4 egg whites 80
    1 egg 70
    Sliced sausage 150
    Potato 200

Meal 2 - 500

2 chicken breasts 300
    Onion 50
    Grapes 200

Meal 3 - 550

Total:

That'll be it 1750 for the day, I was hoping for more protein but it'll do, and 1750 is a perfect amount, plus I won't be hungry :D

Meal two will be similar to this:

[​IMG]

Which is

Grandmas “Pfannengroestl”
    ¥ 69
    Panfried variety of meat and sausages, bacon,
    potato dumplings, scrambled eggs and gherkins

I will go a little more friendly, and go with 200g potato, mostly egg whites and sausage. I'll dry fry it[no oil] and hope that it comes out ok!

13. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

That Pfannengroestl looks delicious and heathful. Totally makes up for the chips. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

14. LarssonCrew

This morning, 92.6! Lightest I've ever been, that's 203.7 lbs, If I can get to 200 I will be delighted to think I have 199.xx on the board!

Yesterday I ended up just eating the Pfannengroestl and my oatmeal.

I ended up so full[it was HUGE] , one 200g potato, 150 calories of bacon, one chicken breast, 3 whole eggs and 1 egg white.

I was so stuffed it was untrue. Anyways, today:

Mashed sweet potato and onions
    Ribs[just 4 small ribs, not huge]
    Some sliced pork and carrots

Strange but my friend cooked, not so unhealthy.

I also ate half of a grapefruit[chinese grapefruit i think is the real term]

Tonight I will eat chicken breasts and a baked potato.

Here's hoping for 92Kilos tomorrow!

Tomorrow I can visit my wife's hotel to use the gym, then I'll put in a long three hour stint of cardio, machines, weights, swimming and jacuzzi [that's working out right?] before probably treating myself to a nice coffee in the lounge after :D

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I never heard of that. I googled it, in the US, they call it "Pomelo", it is like a regular grapefruit on steroids. :)

I work in the apparel business, Chinese New Year is a huge deal. It is important to get the containers shipped before the start of the New Year, since for almost 2 weeks after, nothing happens.

Congratulations.

16. LarssonCrew

Thanks Sharmie.

Today I ate literally nothing, maybe 1300 calories.

I have a slight headache and feel sick. It's either playing Serious SAM [FPS game] or not eating, so I'm going to go buy a few apples and some dumplings.

Yes, everything shuts down. It is absolutely grim. My parents sent my wife some goodies, it should take 2 weeks, but it'll take nearer 6 weeks.

PLUS, every hour someone is booming out the damn fireworks.

Oh well.

Because I'm about to eat and drink[drink alot of water I think] at 2am local, I'll dismiss my weigh in tomorrow morning because it'll be skewed.

My Egyptian friend[who is a BEAST, can reverse shrug[i.e. bar behind him] 400 lbs], will come to the gym tomorrow. I'm a happy camper. He should hopefully push me on.

My wife's gym is not great[expensive equipment but not much] A few light weights, [upto 15 Kgs - 33 lbs] - Smith machine, vertical traction machine, chest press, shoulder press and cardio machines.

It's only for one day and it'll get me back into it. The day after tomorrow my real gym opens.

YAY.

I can't believe I've dropped 7-8 lbs in the 11 days of chinese new year. Normally I drink and eat into a coma, [quite literally with my diabetes last year, LOL], but this year I've been better.

17. LarssonCrew

Should wake up tomorrow around my lowest ever 92.6, I'm hoping it might be a bit lower, but we'll see!

Today the gym reopened.

Let me tell you, even 11 days of non cardio sucked the life out of me. The bike ride I felt tired cardiovascular wise, but my legs were strong, pumped out 100 cal workout in 12 minutes, which normally leaves my legs screaming. The break from working out has clearly allowed my legs some downtime.

I then did a treadmill session, [I like to work in 'bite size' 100 cal bites] did 100 calories with NO SHIN SPLINTS[HURRAY], then my mother called and I chatted whilst on the treadmill. 7KMPH at a 8/10 incline, burned another 200 calories in 20 minutes or so.

After that I did an almost complete body set of, consisting of:

Pec decs[held together for 2 seconds at middle, burns much more] x 10 x 4
    Leg extensions [warmups of 110, then sets of 120,140,160x2]
    Incline bench[pathetic, did about 80 lbs, form was terrible] x 4
    Shoulder shrugs on smith machine[went heavyish, 110 x 10, 130 x 10, then 180 x 10 x 2, shoulders burnt a bit after this.]
    Wanted to do both bench press with DBs and tricep pulldowns, but the benches were used and the tricep extension part had a guy using it with a different handle]
    So, went and did some barbell preacher curls, DAMN they ache[preacher I find forces you to only use your arms, therefore burns me more] So did 25 as warmup, then 40, then 50x 2, the 50 x 2 started to wane on my wrist so I stopped after 6 reps, felt a pump in my arms]
    Vertical traction[forced my back against the seat hard to really feel the pull], did 4 sets.
    Wanted to do a low row machine but was busy, and since my body wasn't quite used to being in a gym again called it a day, had a shower and went home.

Overall good, eats were poor:

2 x drinkable yoghurt for breakfast 160 cals
    Coffee with splash of milk 40
    2 home made hamburgers Maybe around 800
    Coffee with milk 1 small packet of sugar[forgot my splenda] 100
    Some dried kiwis 200
    Small carton of 100% pure orange juice 90

Probably only 1390 then, which is not enough but I'm not hungry and I want to get below 90 kilos.

Tomorrow is an important business meeting for me, early start at 9[thats early for China!] then I'm meeting a friend for lunch [italian, I'll have a small plate of pasta and that'll be it], before we visit the art museum for a look at some African art, then it'll be time for the gym.

One final thing, I sweat like a mule in the gym, but still find myself going every break to the bathroom, literally get there, go, do 30 minutes of cardio, go, finish another 20 minutes, go, then finish my weights, go. Then after my shower, go.

For some reason working out, or running, biking etc. makes me go alot, also I drink 2-3 litres[almost 2/3 of a gallon] at the gym alone, which might 'force out' other water waiting to be pushed.

Anyone else got this?

18. LarssonCrew

Most important business meeting in my short career and....yep, no sleep. Too much on my mind, gym, travel, my wife, culture...life.

Got up at 4am, weighed in at 91.9Kilos![202 lbs!]

Wow, the lowest I've ever been, again.

I got hungry, wanted to go and binge in the 24 hour supermarket, held it tight and had:

2 bananas 200
    75g of oatmeal[overpoured ahhh] 300
    Milk 120

I know I'll eat Italian today so I may make the Italian my only other meal today.

I'm confused, I don't know whether to get the business meeting done, go for a nap, go to gym and try to rearrange, OR

business meeting - earlyish lunch - sleep 1 to 5 - gym

I don't know. But I'm guzzling coffee to try and wake me up!

19. LarssonCrew

Yesterday was awful.

Business meeting went great, then I was exhausting [from not sleeping the night before], met a friend for lunch, but the restaurant was closed.

Ended up in a small cafe, had a nice home made egg and bacon sandwich [400 calories], packet of doritos and a hot choc [500 between them].

Came home, slept from 1 to 5, then 7-12 then 3-9. Horrible.

Hope my sleep pattern is back on track.

No gym yesterday[hate myself for that] but I'm going today.

Weighed in at 92Kilos, so I'm hoping tomorrow to be back into the 91.xx range.

Eats today will include chicken mayo on a baked potato, oatmeal, and then mince and potato and eggs.

I'm basically looking at my fridge with chicken breasts, potatoes, tomatoes, eggs and mince and thinking there's 3-4 days worth of food...but it'll be the same everyday.

20. LarssonCrew

Enjoyed the gym, but was tired the whole day, still went, still busted 300 cals of cardio then weights.

Pec dec - PRed it
    DB press - My chest is weak, just 25 lbs each
    Shrugs - Heavy, 70 lbs per DB.
    Vertical traction - Heavy, maybe PRed it
    Alley - was exhausted at this point

Didn't eat pre gym the whole day, was just shattered, no sleep + no food = nothing in the tank!