1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Dragon [cookalong journal!]

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by LarssonCrew, Dec 15, 2011.

1. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Still here?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

2. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Alright guys, I've been super busy with work, managed to keep my weight at a kinda flexible 96 Kilo range, not so happy, and this month I did dip down into the 93.9 range, but hey, I had to prioritise working hard right now.

I'm happy I didn't balloon back up to over 100 kilos, I vowed never too again!

After I went eating out happy [almost every lunch and dinner, plus constant coffees out!] finally yesterday I re-bought a truck load of chicken, lean beef, some bread, some potatoes , tomatoes, and tomorrow I'll pick up oatmeal, eggs and some sweet potatoes.

Back to counting calories, I WANT 88 by the end of June, that's a huge task, but it's starting to REALLY get hot, and hopefully that dims my appetite and walking around/being active will hit me alot harder too because of it.

Still drinking 3 to 4 litres of water a day, but it can be damaging to moral [measuring weight every day!] if I go out and get a couple of waters at 11pm, meaning my weigh in in the morning is always around 1 Kilo up, oh well.

Anyways, I'm sorting the eating and tomorrow I'm back on cardio biking 45 minutes and then hitting the weights in the afternoon or evening!

Let's do this again boys!

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Good to see you back Larsson. Glad you didn't go too far off your plan. Keep up the good work on getting back to plan.

How hot is it?

4. LarssonCrew

Started to eat more healthy yesterday and today, tomorrow I will be around 96Kilos, I'm hoping to hit 85 by the time I go home in July 20th and in time for my cousins wedding on the 5th, that leaves me around 2 months in total to drop 11 Kilos, or 24 lbs.

Should be impossible, EXCEPT, I live in Xi'an which currently is 38 degrees + people + pollution + no AC.

Should be fun :D

I'm playing badminton everyday and once the guys come to fix my AC[it's in the box] , I'll get on the weights[the box is preventing me from working out].

Diet today:

Strawberry milk [60 cals]
    2 teaks [300 cals]
    1 potato [200 cals]
    1 tomato [50 cals]

Not bad, and the heat means I'm not really hungry. I should be preserving muscle but it'll get to the point were it is simply too hot in my apartment [around 35] to do it.

This evening the plan is chicken and broccoli stir fry :D and I imagine that'll be it for the entire day, heat = no hunger I find.

5. LarssonCrew

Well, well, well.

I'm back.

I know everyone's seen it before, but basically I hit a rut, realised I couldn't possibly reach my targets for my cousins wedding, so I went in fat.

Went home, ate everything in sight because I hadn't seen that type of food for an entire year.

Went to the great wall of China with my soon to be wife, and was exhausted from walking around, sweating, breathing heavily, and smelling bad, it was humiliating.

I'm honestly sick of this. I need to get back on track.

I have a new place with no place for gym equipment, so I'm going to sign up across the road [5 minute walk] and see how that pans out.
    The plan is to eat 1700 calories a day, and plan on doing 4-5 days a week in the gym.

Good thing is I've SOMEWHAT kept my eating 'ok' and semi clean. I'm hovering around 98kgs, still 8 kilos down on when I started 11 months ago, but it's still a little bit pathetic. Infact it's really pathetic, I could have achieved that just by dropping sugary sodas, let alone the plan and work I put in before.

I have ensured I have zero work in the mornings, so there is absolutely NO excuse for me not to wake up at 9 and head down to the gym for 90 minutes, get out of there and back to my house for 10 30, shower and have a healthy breakfast[maybe chicken?]

I plan on basically eating boiled or stir fryed chicken, brocolli, maybe some oatmeal if I can get a microwave in my new place.

So I think I'll start stocking up eggs, chicken, oatmeal and broccoli and go at it. Chicken and broccoli in a hot wok with ginger, garlic, a little soy and vinegar is delicious, although it can be a tad salty.

Anyways, in the meantime I've been listening to this song:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjEwOTQ4MTQ0.html

Which you may not understand but it's a lovely little song in chinese.

I will be hopefully visiting Thailand in February so my initial target is to get somewhere close to maybe 90 kilos in time for that.

Let's GOOOOOOO!

6. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Good to see you back. How is teh badminton going?

7. LarssonCrew

Thanks for the reply!

Actually the badminton kinda stopped.

This is my dilemma. I always get into the groove, but feel like I'm spending too much free time away from work. I'm 25, I should be working my ass off to set myself up to be comfortable, so I take on more and more work, which leaves me exhausted.

Actually, what also happened was a former friend who's in the government cheated my badminton coach's wife out of $20,000 she paid as a 'gift' for a job in a school [high school teachers can make huge amounts of money back from gifts from students, private classes etc.] and he stopped talking to me. I literally have no idea what happened. My friend said he could help, but they had known each other 3 days and she paid all the money[she's from a village, so her parents begged all the people there to give $1,000 each and they'd get it back etc.]

Feels a little horrible.

Anyways, one thing I'm not going to do is start fully working out until my diet is sorted.

Why?

Because it works hand in hand. If I work out 3 hours a day and burn thousands of calories, it means nothing if I'm eating greasy food everyday and putting it straight back in.

Today I just drank some milk before I head off to a bunch of meetings, but I do have a break of 90 minutes in the middle of my day, so I will hit the stationary bike for 30 minutes and then do some deadlifts [haven't done those in 5 months!] and also check my weight[all this stuff at my other apartment.]

Apart form that China is going well. I'm opening another company to assist students who wish to study in either a UK or US university, so hopefully from perhaps March I will have a truckload of students paying in the bills :D

Looking at holidaying in Thailand in February, then the wife is coming back to UK with me in the summer. She's got a visa interview that she'll need to attend around March, I'm dreading it a little bit.

8. LarssonCrew

First day went well, ended up on about 2000 calories.

Still GOT to start cutting down on eating out, even if that is the culture here.

Taught my Chinese friend how to cook a baked potato. One he tried it his face was rather non plussed. Then added a small slither of butter and he tried it, got a new fan!

9. LarssonCrew

Jesus...

I eat clean for a week and have a bit of food poisoning and the weight drops off.

I was 104 Kilos when I tested a week ago in clothes, today without clothes I'm sitting at 95.6.

I'll update tomorrow, until I hit 90 I won't be doing any gym work exactly.

10. LarssonCrew

Got a couple of days of work so I'll be enjoying catching up on 'White Collar' and sorting some passport issues.

I'm trying to save money for a wedding so I went to the supermarket and bought:

Olive oil
    Potatoes
    Onions
    Peppers
    Tomatoes
    8 Chicken breasts
    Dog food
    Some diet pepsi

Cost me about $20, [the chicken and the olive oil were $15 between them pretty much] anyways, last night I made a banging vegetable soup:

Drizzle olive oil into a deep dish, chopped a potato, a pepper, a tomato, and placed into hot pan, sizzled for a few minutes. Added 4 chicken breasts and enough water to fill the pan. Let it boil away lightly for 30 minutes, then took out the chicken, diced it up thinly[kinda shredded] put it back in, every 15 minutes I would go in with a metal spoon and 'crush' all the ingredients to thicken. After 2 hours added some chili, salt, and some chinese five spice. Amazing.

Anyways, I'm not sure what I'll be doing on my first gym day, I want to edge back into it, so I'm thinking working my legs [my favourite!] and doing some cardio work on the bike.

The main thing is overcoming laziness. I've kicked the habit of snacking by saving money [only REAL food in my house now], and so now I need to get myself up at 7 or 8am every morning and walk to the gym and get down to business. Come back and shower then get to the office.

Bright start to the day I hope from now on!

Also, my electronic scales broke yesterday [or the battery doesn't work] so I'll buy a new one soon.

I'm eating about 2000 calories a day for the last 4 days, not quite 'tight' enough, and I want to edge it down to about 1700.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Eating dog food is going too far to save money. :lol:

Just kidding. I like to read when you talk about food. I am always surprised that the food you mention is usually the same food that we eat in the West. Are you eating these food because you are from the West, or is that what the local Chinese where you live eat?

12. LarssonCrew

Hey Sharmie!

Firstly, as not to confuse things, I'm an Englishman living in [new] Xi'an, home of the Terracotta Warriors.

Anyways, basically, local Chinese food is delicious, well, some of it.

Many people here have no kitchen, so they eat out every meal, you can eat an entire days food for a dollar fifty, yep, $1.50.

These might consist of:

You tiao [a kind of fried breadstick, they are utterly delicious, they're like a donut without any toppings, but you buy them per 'jin' which is 500g, and it's cheap, maybe 2 Yuan[30 cents]. I don't buy them because it's all deep fried]
    Bao zi [large dumplings of suet stuffed with meat and vegetables, again, delicious but extremely calorific [I think 500 in each one or something]
    Jiao zi [smaller dumplings with a thinner outer ring, I don't like them]
    Various noodles and I mean VARIOUS. At least 20-25 different kinds. I dislike noodles because it all tastes the same.

Anyways, I am slowly creeping around to a 50/50 dilemma, which means I eat half western half Chinese food.

The problem is, if I want to eat western food[real western food] there's only 2 or 3 places in the entire city, which means if I went there I end up going 'wow apple pie! wow garlic bread! I'll take it all!' Which means three courses, damn it.

I normally cook a hybrid, if I'm actively trying to be more healthy I'll cook westernised chicken, brocolli, vegetables etc. I have no oven, so I just end up boiling or stir frying. It's almost impossible for chinese to imagine cooking WITHOUT added oil and salt, and they add MSG to everything.

My landlord came over the other night for payment, and I was planning and chopping ingredients for my soup. I said I'm cooking and she said she'll wait. She sat in the lounge and expected me to be done in 2 minutes, because MOST chinese food can be prepared and then, after all the ingredients are chopped finely, can then be cooked in 2 minutes on an extremely high heat.

So when I'm sitting, stirring potatoes around and tomatoes she's waiting longer and longer. I ended up leaving the pot on the stove to stew the meat and vegetables and she couldn't get her head round it. She even asked 'you're not going to stand by it and 'chou'[which means like stir fry/move around in pot] it?' No.

Western food is hard to come by here, it's impossible to go to one place to get everything you need. I will cook some christmas cookies for a law class, which means borrowing my friends oven, going to one place to buy brown sugar, another to buy butter, another to find self raising flour, and another to buy chocolate chips.

If I eat out normally I will just eat Chinese food, small places where I can get two dishes and a rice for about $3, and it is filling and the bomb. HOWEVER, it's fatty and overly salty, so it leads to a huge increase in weight, but damn it's good.

I will ask my Chinese friend who's Chinese cooking is just amazing, to help me post more healthy ways of cooking. In Chinese cooking you can ALMOST ALWAYS reduce the oil in half, not add the salt, etc.

I will ask him to cook

Hui Guo Rou which is boiled bacon, then added at the last minute to onions, green peppers, garlic and ginger to crisp up and create a smokey sauce, it's awesome.
    Sweet and sour, A healthier version made with chicken breast.
    Chicken and cashew nuts

And some others.

Anyways, like I said, I'm trying to get the eating part right before I punish my body in the gym, although that will commence December 1st]. I want to make sure I'm eating 1700-1800 a day. I need to start my day with oatmeal and eggs again, because eating healthy straight away puts me in the mind frame.

And buy a damn new battery for my scales.

I went to three supermarkets and non had scales, unreal.

Here in China you get used to 'mei you' [we don't have]. But it's frustrating as hell.

I even went with a friend to an upmarket restaurant. He asked for a cola [none] then a Sprite [none] and ended up drinking hot water[grim].

Oh well, this is still a 'feeler' ten day session, getting used to being a little hungry, NOT snacking, etc.

The soup I made lasted me three days but wasn't quite filling enough. I estimate each portion is only about 300 calories though, and contains tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, chili and about a chicken breast each, so not bad.

13. LarssonCrew

Yesterday ate around 2000 calories.

Today I had:

400ml milk for breakfast[didn't fancy eating anything] - 240 calories
    Lunch was a chicken and brocolli with a splash of soy sauce and rice wine - 300 calories [maybe a little too salty]
    A mini muffin - 220 calories

So today I'm sat at about 760 calories and it's already 5:11.

I'm in a dilemma at the moment as to what to do. My work is on hiatus[kinda] and I'm waiting on the 'big push'. I'm working 16 1/2 hours a week right now doing work for my business.

I always manage to mess up my schedules. I remember a few months ago I was determined to work extra hard, put in extra hours [even for average/poor pay] and ended up working 9-9 most days. It ended up making me sick. Now, teaching law/English in China and doing face to face classes to prepare students is a hell of a lot more tiring than sitting in an office sipping coffee. So Anyways, before, putting in huge hours, I lasted ten days 9-9 before I broke down and was sick.

I gave up some work on Saturday to spend relaxing, but it's backfired and other projects have filtered away. I'm not basically working so few hours it's leading to laziness. So I'll try and find another ten hours work lying around whilst I prepare my new office.

Anyways, as I said, from the 1st of December I'll be hitting the gym, which will take up a couple hours each day.

Off to buy a new battery for my digital scales :D

14. LarssonCrew

Well I know I'm growing up, here's why!

Firstly, in my first two years in China I enjoyed hitting the bar, hitting on women, playing, spending every dollar I had etc.

Now I'm planning everything, planning my schedule, planning nights with my wife and trying not to spend all my money.

But DAMN I need to be tighter with my money, my diet etc.

I went to the supermarket planning to buy a bag of $2 dog food, I managed to spend $10, doesn't seem like much but it's just the point, a battery, some diet cola, a new filing box for my office and some lemons, eggs and flour and I've spent way more than I planned.

Anyways, these days me and my wife have had massively diffeent schedules, she's had different jobs in different cities and tonight is her first night home for two weeks.

She's home at 10pm, and I bought her some cookies and her favourite milk tea. We're planning on watching a movie, chat about our travel plans to the UK and Europe and then sleep, in the morning walk our dog and then I'll cook her some pancakes for breakfast.

Sounds like heaven, two years ago I'd have assumed it'd have been boring as hell!

15. LarssonCrew

Maybe I've turned the corner!

Woke up from an awful sleep [I had 3 weeks sleeping on my own, it's bliss for sleep] and suddenly the wife is taking up 2/3s of the bed, dang.

Anyways, I'd been thinking about cooking pancakes, waffles and some fried strips of chicken.

Woke up, put the coffee on, wife had already eaten two chocolate muffins[she weights less than 50 kilos, which is like 110 lbs AND she's 5'8, how do they get away with it?] and I proceeded to whip up a batch of pancakes with lemon and sugar for her. I laid out the table since it's our first morning together in three weeks, strawberries, pink grapefruit[two cost me $7!], 5 pancakes stacked high with lemon and sugar, class of orange juice and a cup of coffee for her, she finished the lot.

Me?

I made a half a potatoes worth of home fries with one teaspoon of olive oil, genuinely happy with myself. Could have whipped up some eggs maybe but I kept it to about 150 calories, when my wife probably ate close to a thousand.

I have hot pot[not the UK kind] for lunch, which is a spicy broth in the middle of the table that you put vegetables and meat into to boil, then you put into a small dipping sauce.

It's all very healthy except I LOVE the peanut dipping sauce, so I'll be wary. Because you wait for your food to cook [imagine like a soup version of fon due] you consume less.

Found more work to keep myself occupied, today and tomorrow I will be exhausted, tomorrow is 8 until 9pm, tiring as hell.

16. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

China looks so cool. I hope I see it someday in my travels. That and Japan.

Nice job on ditching the pancakes and sweets. Looks like you are really back to training again.

17. LarssonCrew

Everything going ok, had no bad day in 5 and it paiid, I'm still hovering around 96 kilos when I wake up. The lowest I've ever been was 93 last April, so I hope to catch that up soon.

Today I drank some milk, had a small packet of potato chips, then a sausage, potato and onion just cooked in the oven, running at about 1300. When I have a dinner of brocoli and chicken everything will total my 1700 target for today :D

18. LarssonCrew

Lefty , if you ever do come to China please feel free to message me, I'd love to show some people around.

Went out and drank alcohol for the first time in about 5 months yesterday. Not sure but the buzz has disappeared off going out and getting hammered, I tipped the bloke in the toilet $20 because I threw up and he helped me...and then I bought my wife a $50 teddy bear, what a complete waste.

Oh well, today has been good eating wise, I had a lunch of potatoes, bacon and sausages which were of very high quality from a german butcher here, and I had a few coffees. Because of all the toilet breaks in the night I came in at 96.6 kilos this morning, so I HOPE that by tomorrow I can drop that down to 95.xxx

I've never seen 92.xx on the scales so here's hoping!

19. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Thanks for the invite, but you won't be seeing me pop up on your doorstep.:D

Good luck on seeing 92.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

20. LarssonCrew

The diet has been a bit shoddy lately, no excuses for it really, algthough my situation has been poor.

No power in my house sometimes, and no heating. My house was so cold I felt like I was going to be sick. Oh well, I'm still hanging around 97 Kilos, I need to get down to that 93 Kg target quickly!